Here I sit, brokenhearted; sat down to..... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Here I sit, brokenhearted; sat down to.....

...do a TB synch on my newly-acquired '08 and found that for a reason known only to the evil gnomes at Mama Suzuki they have changed the configuration of the plug used to hook up the official SDS tool diagnostic device.

Yup, the same unit I used on the '07 cannot be used on the '08, even though virtually everything else on the bike is identical and I have transferred a legion of farkles over to the new scoot without any hitches.

This is an extremely distressing development since the SDS tool was not cheap and I thought I could use it for years to come -- and it also includes an ABS diagnostic that I could now use with my '08. The software with it, V. 10, covers up to and including '07 (DL650,SV650 and SV1000 series, plus the AN series -- whatever that is) but I can't imagine it won't work on the '08 which has AFAIK identical wiring. It's just that stupid plug that's incompatible. If someone has an SDS tool for an '08 I'd appreciate it if they would look at the application list and see if the v.11 or v.12 software covers the '07 Wee just to confirm this. If confirmed I suppose I could just jump the appropriate pin sequence with homemade connectors.

Or (hint, hint) I wonder if someone would briefly loan me an SDS tool hook-up cable for an '08.

If all fails and someone wants to buy it I guess I could sell it for a humongous loss. MSRP: $668.99. Price sticker is still on the box.

I hope these chest pains are just indigestion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I could just jump the appropriate pin sequence with homemade connectors.
I haven't done this but would imagine you are talking about something that plugs into the bikes wiring harness. If that is the case, I wonder if there are some used/discarded wiring harness' out there that could be used to make a direct adapter. (I have read a couple of threads where people talk of replacing their wiring harness' because of corrosion so it seems they would be out there).
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
...do a TB synch on my newly-acquired '08 and found that for a reason known only to the evil gnomes at Mama Suzuki they have changed the configuration of the plug used to hook up the official SDS tool diagnostic device.

Yup, the same unit I used on the '07 cannot be used on the '08, even though virtually everything else on the bike is identical and I have transferred a legion of farkles over to the new scoot without any hitches.

This is an extremely distressing development since the SDS tool was not cheap and I thought I could use it for years to come -- and it also includes an ABS diagnostic that I could now use with my '08. The software with it, V. 10, covers up to and including '07 (DL650,SV650 and SV1000 series, plus the AN series -- whatever that is) but I can't imagine it won't work on the '08 which has AFAIK identical wiring. It's just that stupid plug that's incompatible. If someone has an SDS tool for an '08 I'd appreciate it if they would look at the application list and see if the v.11 or v.12 software covers the '07 Wee just to confirm this. If confirmed I suppose I could just jump the appropriate pin sequence with homemade connectors.

Or (hint, hint) I wonder if someone would briefly loan me an SDS tool hook-up cable for an '08.

If all fails and someone wants to buy it I guess I could sell it for a humongous loss. MSRP: $668.99. Price sticker is still on the box.

I hope these chest pains are just indigestion.
Probably the same guy that thought it would be wise to change the exhaust to an oval to foil my plot of putting an inexpensive slip-on on my '11.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Did you (attempt to) talk to Suzuki about it? I'd assume that if all they did was change the plug there would be some sort of an adapter available, otherwise they'd have a lot of unhappy dealers in their network. Of course said adapter might only be available to dealers and cost a small fortune, but if you know it exists, someone probably has a workaround for it.

Cheapest option might be the Healtech OBD tool. Could well be cheaper than an adapter from Suzuki....
2011 Suzuki DL650A
Old 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Interesting, Bob. The Healtech unit shows the same application for all years of the Wee, ABS and non-ABS. I really don't understand what's going on.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Moderator++

The HealTech unit plugs into the dealer mode connector. Does the SDS unit plug in somewhere else?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not sure where to find the dealer mode connector.

This is the plug I found on the '08 just where it was on the '07 (the black plug on the right, left rear of the bike). On the '07 it was white.

And this is what I found when I tried to connect the SDS tool (white connector on the right):

I don't see anything else remotely resembling the port that I need, but I hope I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I'm not sure where to find the dealer mode connector.

... have a look at the rear of the fuel tank, next to seat, right side
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Moderator++

The yellow and black connector is an ECM flash port. The white connector is for the dealer mode plug. On Vees, Glees and non ABS Wees, it is under the left side cover under the seat though farther to the rear on the Glee. On ABS Wees, it is on the right side of the coolant overflow reservoir at the back of the fuel tank. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html/SBL.05.674.10000.b.Suzuki.DL650.pdf

Last edited by greywolf; 11-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
On ABS Wees, it is on the right side of the coolant overflow reservoir at the back of the fuel tank. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html
And so it is!!! Thanks prodigiously, Greywolf.

I guess I have to start thinking outside my boxed-in experience with the non-ABS '07. Who'd a thunk that they would relocate that plug instead of just running the same basic harness and adding ABS wiring? (Not me, apparently.)

Odd that I never noticed it while doing the valve job or even hooking up the Eastern Beaver fuse box to wiring down in that region. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing in life.

Ah, the warm glow of that synching feeling. Thanks again.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-08-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement