Is this normal tire wear? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mike View Post
I agree it looks fairly normal. Unless you only ride in a constant turn it is going to run a little square in the center. The majority of my riding is straight up highway with reasonably slow 90 degree turns [corners]. Here is my stock tire at 10,050 miles. I think I got my moneys worth out of it & still had a couple of miles left in it.

A couple of miles left in it? To me it looks more like it wore out to the point of being dangerous several thousand miles ago. Tell me that the white areas aren't the cords showing...
2011 Suzuki DL650A
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM

I would expect that kind of mileage out of a set of Shinkos. I am not kidding.

My tires tend to last a long time. I got over 10,000 miles out of a set of Bridgestone TWs. I get over 12,000 out of a rear Anakee II. The one on the bike now went to CA and back to FL, 2up, and loaded with camping gear. It is still not completely bald. It saw many miles of bad pavement on secondary roads, and did interstate all the way back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg View Post
DL650k7. Original rear rubber, 4,600 miles. I see some reports of riders getting over 10k on original tires. I don't ride aggressively, and ride about 90% blacktop roads, 10% dirt. Attachment 21016
Umm..did you do a burnout or two> or drag race it?

I do a lot of straight up but I do the twisties pretty hard when I actually have them - have 6.5k on my anakee 2 and plenty of meat left still... that fine a spot is either excess pressure or a heck of a lot of straight riding ...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I agree it looks fairly normal. Unless you only ride in a constant turn it is going to run a little square in the center. The majority of my riding is straight up highway with reasonably slow 90 degree turns [corners]. Here is my stock tire at 10,050 miles. I think I got my moneys worth out of it & still had a couple of miles left in it.

YIKES!!!!! That us one scary tire, dude.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
A couple of miles left in it? To me it looks more like it wore out to the point of being dangerous several thousand miles ago. Tell me that the white areas aren't the cords showing...
I cannot tell you that, it is several layers of cord. I was trying to get all the miles out of the tire I could. The rest of the tire was bald but no cord showing. As soon as I noticed the cord I changed the tire. I had the replacement tire waiting. It is hard to believe that I never saw the cord until I put it on the stand to lube the chain.
2004 DRZ435S
1999 YZ400F
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:

This photo answers a couple of questions for me.

Why there is a difference in reported tire mileage.

Why the government gets involved in vehicle inspections.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
As soon as I noticed the cord I changed the tire. I had the replacement tire waiting. It is hard to believe that I never saw the cord until I put it on the stand to lube the chain.
Get yourself a tire depth gauge. When the tread depth goes under 2mm, consider replacing the tire.

When you remove the old tire (or have it removed) push your finger into the center of the tread. You'll be amazed at how easily you can push your finger in and how little material there is between you and disaster.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
I was trying to get all the miles out of the tire I could. The rest of the tire was bald but no cord showing.
Did you try this trick to get a few more miles out of it

Duck taping a motorcycle tire . - YouTube
2011 Suzuki DL650A

Last edited by BobA; 11-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement