Is this normal tire wear? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got 7500 miles with battle wings. A bit over pressured though. I normally run 36/40 F&R.
Your tires are also 5 years old and getting old for modern rubber. My tires last 6-9 months at best. You simply are not riding enough. And you are going in straight lines. The sides of your tires have lots of tread. Try using that part of the tire.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Both my wife and I weigh about 150 lbs (the bike is not usually ridden two-up). I run 36/38. I'm currently sitting about 10k miles on the OEM Trailwings. Could probably go another couple thou. Mostly pavement.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
The sides of your tires have lots of tread. Try using that part of the tire.
I had a service garage guy tell me "You know you wouldn't get so much cupping if you rode on the side of the tire more often."

Gee, thanks for that revelation. I think he forgot he was living/working/breathing on the edge of a Utah desert.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
$tromtrooper

Unless you are exceptionally heavy or carry a heavy load most of the time then tire pressure is probably good for you from a wear point of view. Even though higher tire pressures wear the center faster, heat is a big factor in overall tire wear and higher pressures can reduce temperatures and help extend the life of the tire.

It appears you aren't aggressive in the twisties in any event so wearing in the middle is kind of expected.

I suspect the biggest issue for you is the surface that you ride on. Several years ago a co-worker took his 1996 Porsche 911 C4 on a trip from here though Texas and on to some air races (maybe in Arizona?). He started with new tires and fully expected to have lots of tread left to get back here to Canada. He ended up buying (rear) tires somewhere down in the south west.. perhaps in California as his tires wore extremely quickly - much quicker than expected - once he went through Texas and New Mexico. Even though they are very soft like Motorcycle tires the rear tires on that car should last 10,000 plus miles of highway use but they were worn out in less than half the distance.

..Tom

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Off in the distance, one can hear the slow rumble of the call to the dark side...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesler View Post
Off in the distance, one can hear the slow rumble of the call to the dark side...
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot lately about putting a set of Trailwings on my Honda CRV. Maybe start a new trend. Will have to come with a catchy name though.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

If I get 5500-6000 miles out of a rear tire on my 08 Wee I'm doing good. I'm 58 years old about 190lbs. and I don't ride hard. Most of the roads here in Texas are chipseal and that eats tires alive.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Stay off the straight roads for a while, ride some bends, do a corner or 2.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I got 7500 miles with battle wings. A bit over pressured though. I normally run 36/40 F&R.
Your tires are also 5 years old and getting old for modern rubber. My tires last 6-9 months at best. You simply are not riding enough. And you are going in straight lines. The sides of your tires have lots of tread. Try using that part of the tire.
Interesting comment. I purchased the bike in May 2012 with about 1,200 miles on it. Most of my riding is on some fairly twisty east Texas roads. I feel like I'm going plenty fast and getting a fair amount of lean in the corners as it is. Honestly, I guess I'm just not an aggressive/experienced enough rider to wear the outside of the tread down. I guess one thing that sums up my riding on curvy roads is this: I often hear guys talking about "dragging pegs" in corners. I have never done this, even when TRYING to come into a corner a little hot and counter steering aggressively. I'm not sure I would have the confidence in ANY tire to hold at such speeds in the curves...especially on our east Texas rough chip seal roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Tire Wear

I agree it looks fairly normal. Unless you only ride in a constant turn it is going to run a little square in the center. The majority of my riding is straight up highway with reasonably slow 90 degree turns [corners]. Here is my stock tire at 10,050 miles. I think I got my moneys worth out of it & still had a couple of miles left in it.

2004 DRZ435S
1999 YZ400F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement