Advice needed: Alaska 2013 on wee - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Doing the same dance now

I'm also preparing for June 2013 Alaska ride. My tire plan is to mount up a fresh set of Heidenau K60 Scouts which should last the entire ride based on what I read on the web. Also Group 4 synthetic oil which I plan on running the entire trip. Even though there are many places for tires and maintainence, any work and scheduling I can avoid is just one less thing to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

A deputy who recently retired after 30 years was a part time truck driver all that time. He pulled up in his semi for his first and only trip into Canada, when asked if he possessed any firearms he blurted out that he was just carrying his service revolver. He told me that faster than he could blink, he was pulled out and went face down on the ground. After hours of checking he was turned around at the border and told never to come back to Canada. Don't think he really wanted to anyway. Got a write up for taking departmental property out of the country.

"If they as much as suspect that a person OWNS a handgun even with though it is left at home I'll bet they'll turn him back just on the suspicion that he is
a crazed and violent Yankee gunslinger."

Crazed and violent Yankee Gunslinger - LOL

Last edited by deputygene; 12-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Crazed and violent Yankee Gunslinger - LOL
I apologize for the multiple redundancies.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
I plan to go the 3rd week of June and take 3weeks to celebrate my retirement. I headed up once before, but had to come back due to a death in the family. Was on a klr but this time it will be better on a wee. Going to put on new tires and chain and sprocket. Not sure if I will take a spare tire.

In oklahoma we have chip seals roads and I seem to get good tire life here, but plan for worst. I got 6500 miles on my rear distenza(sp) with a bunch life left. I do plan to take a plug kit and compressors.

Forget the gun, the hassles aren't worth it. Make sure you get a Canadian insc. Verfication Card from your insc company.
We are heading up,leaving Seattle on June 20th 2013.we have about 20 days to Deadhorse and back,hope to see some of you on the trip!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Planning my retirement trip up in July 2014. Hope you guys will post some reports so I can learn from your experience. Ride safe and enjoy!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

So here's my list.

We are riding up on my 2007 V and my wifes 1994 GS500.

The GS..
Bark Busters,this for falls and bracing For bar mitts
Bar mitts
Heated grips
50 cal ammo cans for panniers,also make great crash bars.
2 gallon gas can holder on rear rack.
Small fairing,with headlight guard.
Wrapped header pipes and alum plate attached to keep rocks a stuff from pounding the engine.
Shinko 705's,plus spare rear.
New brake pads F/R

Vstrom
New chain and sprockets
New brake pads F/R
Shinko 705's,plus spare rear
2 gallon RotoPax
Skid plate
Already have hippo hands
PC,(I give in!!)
New rear shock (about time)
Clutch mod ( again,about time!!)
Maybe heated grips

Tools and sparers

Tire plugger,17"&19" tubes,slime compressor,2 9" irons and 1 16" iron
Basic tools
Zip ties,rescue tape,assorted small hose clamps.
Small amount of elec wire,small multi meter.
1 quart of oil

We are planning on staying in hotels/motels but might take camping gear for emergencies..

2 pair small vice grips,for tire changes

Old 12-16-2012, 04:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

What Strompilot said. With an added caveat - Anyone who predicts the weather up here is a liar. Don't have a schedule and let the weather push you around. Too much to do in one trip so go where the weather is nice (er). Anything big and furry has the right of way but IMHO the bears in YT are much cuter. Ours are big floppy and slovenly - tourists are hard to digest properly.
But our moose are beautiful.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcarver View Post
What Strompilot said. With an added caveat - Anyone who predicts the weather up here is a liar. Don't have a schedule and let the weather push you around. Too much to do in one trip so go where the weather is nice (er). Anything big and furry has the right of way but IMHO the bears in YT are much cuter. Ours are big floppy and slovenly - tourists are hard to digest properly.
But our moose are beautiful.
One SMALL advantage I may have over someone coming up from the southern US is that I live in Seattle and our weather is almost as unpredicable as Alaska's and I ride year round everyday and atleast 4-5 months are in heavy rain !!.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

My trip across the Denali Hwy:

One week earlier from fellow inmate
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

This months "RoadRUNNER" Magazine features a small advertisement for a book that is focused on nothing but Alaska. Can't remember who wrote it, it was co-authored, but it looked to be quite a good source of info. Hope this helps.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense, a theft,
from those who hunger and are not fed, from those who are cold and not clothed" - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.