Auxiliary LED driving lamp advice needed. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Auxiliary LED driving lamp advice needed.

Sorry if this has been posted some other place on the forum. I have searched through the forum and haven't found what I'm looking for. I have a 2011 Wee and I'm looking to add some lighting for better night vision. I would like to be able to see further down the road and see wildlife before it decides to run out in front of me. I have looked at the Denali D2s from Twisted Throttle. I thought about mounting them to the crash bars but when I talked to someone in their customer service he suggested I mount them up high with the mounting bar they sell and that would work better for the type of vision I was looking for. Maybe there is a different set of lights that would work better? I also run heated gear so I don't want to overload the bikes electrical system that is why I was looking at LEDs. Any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Most LED's will not light up the road the way you want them to. Have you looked at moto lights?

Motorcycle Lights | Motolight

They have LED as well as Halogen...they are not cheap though.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

dont own them but i've seen these in person and they are BRIGHT!!!

ADVMonster Home Page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
$tromtrooper

I have the ADVMonster model 30's mounted to my forks where the reflectors would go. They are run to a simple on off switch mounted to handle bars and then the whole kit is run to an Easternbeaver 3 circuit harness. They are a bright focused beam and give the right amount of punch down the road. Most of my morning commutes are in the dark and they are just the right amount. If you wish I can post up pics later but overall I'm very satisfied, especially with the cost(there is a 10% discount code).
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had put the halogen ones on my BMW and had MANY comments ho how bright they were.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Most LED's will not light up the road the way you want them to. Have you looked at moto lights?
Some LEDs are bright enough to skin you alive. I have motolights on the old beemer, overpriced and underperforming. They are nothing like this technology:

LED Lights | Off Road LED Light Bars | Military L E D Lighting | Defense L.E.D. Lights | Agriculture LED Lighting | Marine LED Lights | Mining LEDs | Landscape L.E.D Light | Police LED Lights | Fire Rescue LED | Rigid Industries

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great site tmcgee..thanks.
Looks like I may be abandoning my penny tech set up for some of these...or adding them to what I currently have.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
$tromtrooper

I have a ADV Monster Led setup on my '10 Wee. A model 30 spot on the right and a 40 flood on the left. The spot is aimed a bit high and to the right to check for critters and the 40 flood is aimed about where my low beams light up the road. It's hooked up through one of ADV Monsters wireless dimmers with high beam over ride. This set up works really well. I drive around with the lights on at about 40% brightness when I have the low beams on. Switching to high beams means the LEDs automatically switch to 100%.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can pick up a pair of LED's off ebay for around $80 that are insanely good - just be careful which ones you buy .

LED's are now the clear winner over anything else I've seen. Just be careful, there is some overpriced crap out there.

Pete
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some friends of mine who work at the local Kawasaki dealership have had a lot of success with LED lights from Vision X. I've been considering getting a few of their Solstice or Solstice prime lights for my XRR to replace the crappy halogen headlight on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement