Daylong - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Daylong

Well, I pulled the trigger on a day long today. Put seat n mail to Russell. Glad I have a Sargent to tide me over until new one gets back. Will sell Sargent when seat comes back. I hope they r as good as people say!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hope to hear some reports when you get it back and put some miles on it. My wife and I are seriously considering them for our 650's and would love to hear some reviews.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson177 View Post
Hope to hear some reports when you get it back and put some miles on it. My wife and I are seriously considering them for our 650's and would love to hear some reviews.
Seat reviews are all over this forum, but what works for somebody else has no bearing on if it will work for you.

In my case, I've tried every other seat and modification I could find, spent a huge amount of money on things that did not work, and was fortunate that the Russell does the job perfectly well for the 500+ mile days I favor.

You will find very few unfavorable Russell reviews on any bike forum.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a secondhand one on my r1100rt. If its not everything people say its pretty close. Ive also had good results with rick and bill mayer also.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I have a secondhand one on my r1100rt. If its not everything people say its pretty close. Ive also had good results with rick and bill mayer also.
I had a bad exp with a seat maker before on my FJR, but i have only heard good things about a Russell. Planning a Alaska trip next June to celebrate my retirement and while the Sargent is a vast improvement over stock it could be better as it is not custom made for fat rear.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
I had a bad exp with a seat maker before on my FJR, but i have only heard good things about a Russell. Planning a Alaska trip next June to celebrate my retirement and while the Sargent is a vast improvement over stock it could be better as it is not custom made for fat rear.
I think you will be happy. If rider weight is an issue even Rick Mayer told me he recommends the Russell if the rider is up around 250 pounds because he feels using the spring system they have is superior when that weight level is involved.
His dad invented the thing (originally the Mayer Day Long) so he should know the pros and cons of the two.
As you found, custom seats are not a sure thing but Russell is probably as close as you can get.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yea, I had to get the overload spring.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Getting close, production date was the 19th! Think they said it would be done the 26th. Hope I can get it before we ride to big bend.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
$tromtrooper

The best money I ever spent on a Motorcyle, I do 500-600 mi.days a lot, wouldn't want to do them w/o the seat, hopefully yours will work as well. Took mine about 2000 miles to be what I would call Broke-in. I would buy another one if I need another seat for any reason.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default I'm in the 250 lb range!

Had my Russel for a couple of Summers now. Several 2000 miles trips. I think it's the best perch ever and I've been riding for a LOOOONG time!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement