Silicone hose kits? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boit4852 View Post
Mt Wee is now beyond the point where it needs to have the coolant hoses replaced. I have googled silicone hose kits to no avail. I found a site that offers universal hoses but there are 2 issues with this. First, I don't know my hose I.D. size. Secondly, I'm not sure if I can make their generic bends work without causing a kink. Are you Wee owners using OEM hoses or have you found better hoses?
First off, why do you say they NEED replacing? Just because of the manual's recommendations?

Secondly, the best way to figure out what size hose you need is to go measure. Isn't that what you always do when you need to know how big something is?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
My hoses were sound, but I replaced them and the seals which are used to attach them to the motor, when I noticed a leak in there.
The seals were pretty much liquified. I upgraded the clamps while I was at it.

It can be done without removing anything.
A concern was losing the recessed seal shrapnel into the motor,but it had to be done as I had lost integrity of the coolant system which could lead to motor damage.
I havent seen or smelled lost coolant since I replaced the seals and the bike has seemed to run cooler- 2 bars on cool days
OK, there are head-scratchers and then there is this. I've had coolant hoses off for radiator removal on two different Wees ('07 and '0 and I have not encountered anything remotely resembling a "seal." In fact, I have never encountered a seal in or near a coolant hose on any type on any car, truck or motorcycle. What am I missing?

And only two bars? Both of my bikes have shown a steady three bars when running at highway speed in temps from freezing to stinking hot. It's hard to believe that there is so much variance in these mass-produced bikes.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Moderator++

It's not uncommon for Wees to drop to two bars in cold or cool and rainy weather. There are a number of variables including the thermostat, temp sensor and display that aren't exactly precision instruments.

There are no seals on the hose ends. The hoses just slip over the spigots and get clamped in place. A previous owner may have dumped radiator leak sealant in the coolant when tightening the clamps usually takes care of leaks.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default seals orings spigots

Mike
The seal I referred to is Suzuki part 09280-18009 which they call an o-ring.The hoses from the thermostat to the motor (17853-19f00) are mounted to fittings which have a seal or o-ring between themselves and the motor.THere is only a hole in the motor otherwise. The fitting is attached via a single bolt.The attachment is weak and If the seal deteriorates it invites a leak.

Looking at the radiator hose section of the microfiche is worth a thousand words.
Also, for whatever reason the coolant bars lingered longer at 2 afterward, rather than thier typical three.Then again the fuel bars are also schewed.

Last edited by jamesm; 01-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Moderator++

Suzuki part 09280-18009 is number 7. It seals part #6 to the engine. #6 is aluminum and referred to as a connector rather than a hose.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.