Question for darksiders - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I just dropped my bike of at local dealer along with the tire, the tire went on just like any other tire with one exception, still had a few bubbles along the bead when tested for leakage, they broke the bead down and applied bead seal

apparently it was pretty hard to break the bread, dealer told me if I wanna swap back & forth (like I do with studded & unstudded on my front wheel) I'd have to invest in a spare wheel, with the bead seal, I may have to cut the tire off when its worn
You have a pretty cool tire installer, most shops won't get near a car tire install. Heck, the shop I tried the tire machine wouldn't do it but since I used to work there, they let me install my stuff. Even with me doing the install the owner was none too happy about it. Mine doesn't leak any air what-so-ever even when I get below 20psi but once below 20psi the tire will start to slide on the rim. Didn't even lose air then,,, just rotated a couple inches under hard play off road and on. But,,, that was prolly my fault as I used something other than normal ole rubber lube when trying to mount that fugger up!

Like I said though, now that I know the ratchet strap trick,,,,,,, easy peasy.
[url]http://s563.photobucket.com/home/Judd-McCutcheon/allalbums[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd View Post
that was prolly my fault as I used something other than normal ole rubber lube when trying to mount that fugger up!

Like I said though, now that I know the ratchet strap trick,,,,,,, easy peasy.
ky

I have a pretty good relationship with my local dealer, they pretty much will do anything I ask, but more than likely if someone else were to ask, the answer might be different
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default balancing

I'm thinking about going darkside when I have to replace the rear tire and plan to mount the tire at home using lashing strap method. I am wondering if I can use Dyna-Beads or Ride-On for balancing the wheel>

Last edited by Roadcruizer; 01-24-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 AM
$tromtrooper

I use axle on saw horses and a slap

I think "ride on" is good but she better be balanced within a couple ounces to start with. Tape on weights with masking tape until it doesn't move on its own
Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry for the long post up front. Don't like a wall of text, don't read it. Want to read one person's first hand experience with a CT mounted on the rear of DL650, read on.

Just gonna update my experience with the car tire on the back of my DL650. It's been on for a good 6K miles now and I just got done with week long, two-up trip down to S. Ga and the panhandle of Florida and down to St George Island. The wife and I fully geared up presents a good 400lb load and we camped the whole week so figure an additional 100lbs for all the gear. The trip was near 1000 miles round trip and ranged from cruising at 90mph to some one-up, unladen playing in the sandy roads of the Apalachicola National Forest. As for how the sand performance goes, the car tire definitely fares better than the front 705 even with the 705 aired down. Suffice to say, I tired rather quickly of the sand but I will say that I think the car tire did better in the sand than the 705 I had on the rear during my Trans Lab trip.

Now on the other stuff, how'ed it do two up and heavily loaded? It worked great folks, really has. I normally run around 20lbs of pressure but with all the weight of the bike loaded up and with two riders I ended up running around 30psi. Now think about the weight on that tire, I weigh up near 200lbs by the time I'm fully geared up as does my wife. Like I said, I'm betting there was an easy 100lbs of "stuff" on there for our week of camping so you are looking at around a 500lb load on the bike,,,,,,, that's alot folks. And the car tire looks none the worse for wear hardly. I have had the CT on the back for something like 6K miles now {counting this past trip} and I have been hard as hell on it, harder I think than any tire I have tried and it's just starting to show some wear. Not much wear but it's starting the get some alternating block type wear pattern on the side tread blocks {I tend to corner pretty aggressively} but the middle looks perfectly fine. I have been banging the down shifts, have been spinning up the rear on dirt/gravel roads and wheelies every where. Matter of fact, from the looks of the chain,,,,, I think the CT will outlast the chain as I mounted them at roughly the same time.

To summarize-

The CT is a bitch to mount but once you learn a trick or two, it's no biggie.

The CT feels a bit funny at first, feels much better at once you find the right pressure which for me and my bike was around 20psi. Once you get the pressure right and you get some time on it, your confidence will grow and you can treat it as any other rear tire.

You will notice the extra weight of the CT, mostly in the perceived HP loss from the extra rotating weight and some might notice the extra unsprung weight slightly hurting handling a bit but you have to ride pretty hard to notice that.

The CT has roughly the same, if not more traction on road,,,,, yes, even cornering on tarmac as my other rear tires have had and I've run Tourances, 705s and a Kenda Big Block.

The car tire has roughly the same traction in most off road situations as my 705s did and probably more in some such as regular pack gravel roads and sand. I hit a little mud and as you would assume, it did no good in that stuff but neither does any other non-knobby.

The CT while working fine on most dirt road type riding, doesn't feel too good on really rough, rarely maintained dirt roads. You know, dirt roads that are rutted and rocky from alot of 4X4 traffic and what-not. I think that's simply a by-product of the CT's huge width catching every rock and rut and that pushes and bounces the bike around more than a normal say, 705, TKC or Big Block.

The CT wears like iron. Seriously folks, I am pretty hard on tires and had I treated a 705 or Tourance to what this CT has been through, I would have had to replace it well before the trip. I have worn Tourances and 705s down past the wear bars in 4K miles or less. I average around 4.5K when riding locally and the most I have ever gotten for a 705 has been around 9K miles on long trip where I babied the heck out of it. It was loaded down heavily but it had no two-up riding, speeds were kept at 80mph or less and like I said, I babied it so I was very easy on and off the throttle and no wheelies to speak of. I think this CT will do an easy 10K, probably at least 15K miles under riding that would have put a 705 or Tourance down to the cords in 4K miles or less! I could see a CT going 20K or more if rode easily, under touring type conditions.

Please understand that I tend to ride a bit harder both on and off road than most DL650 riders and I will tell you without hesitation that the CT is the best tire compromise I've found yet. I would like the rough off road handling to be a bit better and I would love it if I could get the off road abilities of a Big Block or TKC but that ain't happening and I knew that going in. What I was absolutely stunned with was the on-road traction of the CT. It handles and sticks as well or better on tarmac than any tire I've run on the rear of my DL and like I said, I've run a Tourance, a bunch of 705s and a Kenda Big Block. Honestly, for most people that ride a DL,,,,, a CT would flat out be the best tire to run. I could see ne reason at all not to run one all the time on a full on tourer like a Wing or a cruiser that has limited lean angle.

As for me,,,,, I think I will look into finding another set of wheels so I can have a set of knobbies mounted on one set for playing on the weekends and the other set with a 705/CT combo for commuting and touring.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

BTW,,, last update on the CT as it's been swapped out finally. It lasted roughly 13K miles and was getting fairly thin, 'specially on the edges. Coulda probably went at least another 500 miles but I handed it over to a guy for some mechanical work and just got him to swap the CT out for a used take off 705 I had laying around. So, roughly a year on the back of the DL and 13K miles of extremly rough usage with tire pressures between 15 and 25psi. Lots of hard acceleration,,,,, wheelies, spinning on dirt roads. Lots of hard deceleration and hard braking {locking up the rear to slide around playing around}, basically beat the crap outta em.

I'll eventually pop another CT on there but I have about a half dozen bike tire rears I have laying around I need to use up.

'Nother BTW,,,,,, that derned front 705 is still going. It's cupped fairly bad but still has plenty of tread and as far as fronts go,,,,,,, I've been fairly hard on it too. I tend to run between 30-35psi in it and I honestly think it'll outlast this nearly new 705 rear that took the place of the CT.

If only Shinko would soften up the front rubber a smidge and make the rear compound a but harder. Maybe have both wear out at the same time around 10-12K might be nice. Also wish Shinko would make a TKC contender. The Kenda Big Block wears like butter on Texas tarmac.

Last edited by Judd; 12-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
So, roughly a year on the back of the DL and 13K miles of extremly rough usage with tire pressures between 15 and 25psi. Lots of hard acceleration,,,,, wheelies, spinning on dirt roads. Lots of hard deceleration and hard braking {locking up the rear to slide around playing around}, basically beat the crap outta em.
I couldn't run mine that low, I tried 25 and loved it until I hit the peak of power(that you wouldn't see with a wee) while passing thru the wake of a big truck and sidewall flex made me wallow and almost loose it in a tank slapper a couple times have to keep it around 33
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

You still running that Arctic? Thinking about running one since it seems to have a more aggressive tread design and might give a bit better off tarmac traction.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
You still running that Arctic? Thinking about running one since it seems to have a more aggressive tread design and might give a bit better off tarmac traction.
yes, still running the Arctic and yes, I believe it will have more traction off pavement as well as on wet or cold pavement (sipes & winter rubber)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement