DL650 Cam Swap from the SV650 to our bikes, - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up DL650 Cam Swap from the SV650 to our bikes,

I just recently completed the Cam Swap into my DL650 thanks to the help of some capable friends and it is working perfectly as expected,

What I did was install the SV650 Intakes Cam Swap, Gen 2 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Intake Side, and Gen 1 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Exhaust Side, Front and Rear.

With the SV650 Gen 1 it is good for a fast 4- 6 HP and about 3 HP when you do the Gen 1 Intakes on the Exhaust Side of the Gen 2 SV650. It is the same on our DL650's.

I am also running a Power Commander III USB, and the bike Dyno Tuned at a very smooth 75 HP with the M4 Full Exhaust,

Anyone looking for a M4 Map for their DL650 using the M4 Full System can Email me Directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will be happy to share it with you,

I will be doing up a Dyno Tuned Map with the Akrapovic Exhaust later this month.

The Cam Swap is not difficult at all. If you search you can find excellent condition used Cams for under $100 a pair, New Cams are not terribly expensive either,

If you can check your valves yourself you can do this swap with no issues at all,

This is probably the easiest and fastest way to get the HP we all want safely that there is,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 AM
$tromtrooper

Thanks for the write up!

I think this is going to be a popular swap for the 2012. On a dyno my stock SV650 made 65hp to 72 for a Gladius with a slip on and PC, so it's going to be a nice little boost without any reliability problems.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Racing Parts View Post
I just recently completed the Cam Swap into my DL650 thanks to the help of some capable friends and it is working perfectly as expected,

What I did was install the SV650 Intakes Cam Swap, Gen 2 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Intake Side, and Gen 1 SV650 Intakes on the DL650 Exhaust Side, Front and Rear.

With the SV650 Gen 1 it is good for a fast 4- 6 HP and about 3 HP when you do the Gen 1 Intakes on the Exhaust Side of the Gen 2 SV650. It is the same on our DL650's.

I am also running a Power Commander III USB, and the bike Dyno Tuned at a very smooth 75 HP with the M4 Full Exhaust,

Anyone looking for a M4 Map for their DL650 using the M4 Full System can Email me Directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will be happy to share it with you,

I will be doing up a Dyno Tuned Map with the Akrapovic Exhaust later this month.

The Cam Swap is not difficult at all. If you search you can find excellent condition used Cams for under $100 a pair, New Cams are not terribly expensive either,

If you can check your valves yourself you can do this swap with no issues at all,

This is probably the easiest and fastest way to get the HP we all want safely that there is,

Blair
Interesting. So, when you say "it is the same on our DL650's", is the biggest bang for the buck coming from the gen 1 intakes swapped in for our exhausts? I'd love to see before and after dyno curves done on days with similar weather conditions, on the same dyno. A 17% gain is tempting, in combination with the new exhaust / map. Even a solid 10% pulls me into that direction with very little resistance...

Previous Rides:
2002 Kawasaki Concours "Big Speed"
1979 GL1000 Goldwing "Sweetie"
1985 GS450L Suzuki - long gone
1976? MT125 Honda Elsinore - first bike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hi Ken, You swap out the Front Intake Cams on our DL650, any model year, for the Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cam from any model year, You also Swap out the DL650 Exhaust Cams for the Gen 1 SV650 Intake Cams,

You do both, not just one or the other,

Getting to the 75HP on my bike also included have a M4 Full Exhaust on it as per my post. I will be doing the Dyno on the Akrapovic later this coming month, and I expect the results to be similar,

With the Cams only you can expect a very nice HP bump of 4 - 6 HP,

Blair
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Very interesting Blair! Thanks for posting.

What did this mod do to the HP/torque curve? Where is peak HP and torque relative to the stock configuration? Do you mind posting your dyno plots?

-John
Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hi John, your Peak HP and torque are pretty much where they were on the DL650 prior to the Cam Swap,

You simply get more HP and more Torque, With the PC and Dyno Mapping you also get a smoother bike,

Once I get the Akrapovic mapped out later this coming month I will see if I can't Scan and Post up the Graphs,

Blair
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hi everyone, I got a heads up email from a fellow Stromtrooper suggesting that the DL650 Intake Cams and the SV650 Gen 1, (99-2002) Intake Cams might be the same,

So I did some research and it turns out to be correct; The part numbers are identical That means that everyone wanting to do the Cam Swap and pick up some easy HP just got lucky.

Now all we need to do is move our DL650 Intake Cams to the Exhaust Side and install Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cams to our Intake Sides and easy HP.

If you can adjust your valves you can do this HP upgrade,

You can get the Gen 2 Intake Cams New for about $350 shipped to your door which makes the cost quite affordable,

Anyone interested in getting the Cams and doing the upgrade can Email me Directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com

I will be posting up the Dyno Graph once I can get onto the Dyno later this month,

This makes the DL650 even more fun to ride,

Blair
Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Awesome news!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks Blair. I'd be very curious to see the dyno charts when they're available. If at all possible, it would be very interesting to see the dyno charts for:

stock motor
motor with cam change and stock exhaust
motor with cam change and aftermarket exhaust

I still have to wonder what this mod sacrifices. I'm generally of the opinion that there's a method to the madness with regard to Suzuki engineering, so if they went to the trouble of putting in different cams in the DL and SV motors they must have had something in mind. I'm curious to see what impact this change has on low-end torque and low-RPM driveability (the latter is probably not something a dyno will completely show). A longer exhaust valve duration, coupled with a more free-flowing exhaust, will likely result in a lot less backpressure so I'm speculating that this will hurt low-RPM riding in the dirt, for example. Of course, I don't do that on this bike, so it may or may not be an issue depending on your riding needs.

Thanks again for blazing the trail here!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hi, Since we know the cam is the same as Gen 1 SV650 and we know that with the same basic engine Suzuki changed the cams for more HP on Gen 2 SV650 we can safely determine that the cam swap on our DL650 same basic engine again will not have any adverse effect on reliability,

Dyno time is not inexpensive, so since we all know what the stock DL650 is rated at there is no point in dyno running it,

The new map I will be doing is for the cam swap with Akrapovic and M4,

I already have a map for our bikes with the stock exhaust for Power Commander,

Blair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement