DL650 Cam Swap from the SV650 to our bikes, - Page 7 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Always turn the engine counterclockwise, the normal running direction. After the front cylinder is done, the crankshaft is rotated 270 degrees to do the rear.
According to page 3-102 (REAR) CAMSHAFTS....you rotate the crank 360degrees after installing the front cams to this new poisition and install using the sprocket marks and by counting chain pins. This description is for after a complete disassemble/reassemble. Looks like you could do the cam swap using either procedure as long as you time them correctly. Since the cam swap involves putting intakes into the exhaust position, it will take careful detail to getting them timed correctly.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Moderator++

The important thing is to check that the marks on the cam sprocket are in the proper relationship to the head surface.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have a look at my post #39 (page 4 of this thread) for cam sprocket marks. I was a little uncertain (OK, a lot) until I found this information. Study it up and you should be fine!

Previous Rides:
2002 Kawasaki Concours "Big Speed"
1979 GL1000 Goldwing "Sweetie"
1985 GS450L Suzuki - long gone
1976? MT125 Honda Elsinore - first bike
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken mier View Post
Have a look at my post #39 (page 4 of this thread) for cam sprocket marks. I was a little uncertain (OK, a lot) until I found this information. Study it up and you should be fine!
Yep, I zoomed in on those 2 pics and printed them out for future reference. Thanks.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boit4852 View Post
Yep, I zoomed in on those 2 pics and printed them out for future reference. Thanks.
Have fun; report back when you get done! Are you doing anything with the exhaust?

Previous Rides:
2002 Kawasaki Concours "Big Speed"
1979 GL1000 Goldwing "Sweetie"
1985 GS450L Suzuki - long gone
1976? MT125 Honda Elsinore - first bike
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken mier View Post
Have fun; report back when you get done! Are you doing anything with the exhaust?
The cam swap will probably happen in a few weeks. I've already installed an Akrapovic slip-on and K&N airfilter. I have a PCIII but haven't installed it yet because I'd prefer to everything at once due to having to take so many parts off the bike to do the work. The Akrapovic has been a good addition as it has made the engine quite uhhhh....'perky' and the sound is to my liking without being too offensive to other motorists. I've also just intalled the Elka 3-way shock with remote that is a HUGE step forward in fixing the stock suspension. Intiminators are next.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hello guys.

My configuration will be akrapovik without db killer; K&N air filter; DL1000 snorkel.

I am thinking to advance the ignition 4 with the famous woodruff key, taking into consideration that I live in Europe and here the regular gas is 95 octanes and the improvement in low torque is massive, so you have the best of the 2 worlds, low end torque and high power from 5500 rpm to rev limit.

The idea was to put CR9EIX plugs too but I see that the motorbike runs cooler after the swap, is it like that or maybe I am just misunderstanding something? i

I am missing the PCIII cam swap map, I wondered if some of you that have the map will be so kindly to send me the file.

Very pleased with you guys for sharing your experience.

Thanks-Regards
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Last summer I was riding with a guy with an FZ6. At the time I had an SV650. At the time I had an SV. I thought my little SV pulled like a little tractor. But the way that the FZ would briskly walk away from my SV....every time....quickly put things in perspective. As wonderfully as our 650 L-twin motors pull they pale in comparisson to those in line jobbies. I've since learned to enjoy what they provide and I don't look any more for these around the margin improvements. But that's just boring little OLD me. Enjoy whatever you decide to do with your DL's.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derj View Post
Last summer I was riding with a guy with an FZ6. At the time I had an SV650. At the time I had an SV. I thought my little SV pulled like a little tractor. But the way that the FZ would briskly walk away from my SV....every time....quickly put things in perspective. As wonderfully as our 650 L-twin motors pull they pale in comparisson to those in line jobbies. I've since learned to enjoy what they provide and I don't look any more for these around the margin improvements. But that's just boring little OLD me. Enjoy whatever you decide to do with your DL's.
Depends what you want, higher end rush, or lower end torque. The FZ6 uses an old detuned version of an R6 motor.....it's got nothing on the bottom end, so only walking away when the revs get up there.

I've ridden the FZ6, and found the motor to be super lacking in the grunt department.

I would never suggest the 650 twin pales in comparison to any motors, it's a refined lil power-plant, which many cannot replicate, simple, but refined.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Hello guys.

My configuration will be akrapovik without db killer; K&N air filter; DL1000 snorkel.

I am thinking to advance the ignition 4 with the famous woodruff key, taking into consideration that I live in Europe and here the regular gas is 95 octanes and the improvement in low torque is massive, so you have the best of the 2 worlds, low end torque and high power from 5500 rpm to rev limit.

The idea was to put CR9EIX plugs too but I see that the motorbike runs cooler after the swap, is it like that or maybe I am just misunderstanding something? i

I am missing the PCIII cam swap map, I wondered if some of you that have the map will be so kindly to send me the file.

Very pleased with you guys for sharing your experience.

Thanks-Regards

You can download that particular map directly from Dynojet's site. It is the one that says 'stock exhaust', even though it isn't meant for the stock exhaust. Blair couldn't couldn't change the description so it is misleading. I have the same setup as you except for the DL1000 snorkel. I also routed the crankcase vent out of the airbox. I now have about 600 miles since the swap and couldn't be more pleased. All the little annoying quirks of the engine are now gone.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement