DL650 Cam Swap from the SV650 to our bikes, - Page 6 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtoyotek View Post
The best thing I can say about the revised mapping is that the motor runs so much smoother.
This is true. With the cam swap and a tune, the bike is very much more smooth. It feels a lot the same as stock, but the higher you go the harder it turns on over the stock cams. It will rev out at least 500 rpm higher, so when you want to do some sport riding, the power is there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStrom44444 View Post
This is true. With the cam swap and a tune, the bike is very much more smooth. It feels a lot the same as stock, but the higher you go the harder it turns on over the stock cams. It will rev out at least 500 rpm higher, so when you want to do some sport riding, the power is there.
Total agreement. There's a little something extra in the throttle above 7k , but also the power just seems a little 'fatter' across the rpm range. Prior to the cam swap, I set a little personal benchmark speed test (on closed course ) over a 0.6 mile piece of straight, isolated road. Today's run over that section of road after the swap revealed an effortless increase in top speed. The motor likes to sing nicely in the 5k - 8k rpm range now. I've got right at $600 in the transformation; worth every penny for me. Found a nice Holeshot with an older Wee collector pipe, only slightly used SV cams, and the PCIII from Blair. Took me a little longer than planned, but taking the job slow, it wasn't too bad. Sort of taking a two-pronged approach - lose weight and add power. Between the exhaust, losing the Givi side racks, trading the Givi crash bars for Blair's frame and swingarm sliders, I've lost 22.5 lbs. Going for a little more than that when I pull the centerstand and trade out the handlebar for a Protaper aluminum. At an estimated 10 lb / hp (with my weight as rider), that will be a nice transaction. [I figured I wasn't using the bike as anything but a full street commuter, so this is the route I'm happy with].

To those that will tell you to just be happy with what the Wee is, or else buy a sport bike if you want more power, I respectfully disagree with this thinking. Thanks, Blair, for the PCIII map and your support.

Previous Rides:
2002 Kawasaki Concours "Big Speed"
1979 GL1000 Goldwing "Sweetie"
1985 GS450L Suzuki - long gone
1976? MT125 Honda Elsinore - first bike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Racing Parts View Post
Hi everyone, I got a heads up email from a fellow Stromtrooper suggesting that the DL650 Intake Cams and the SV650 Gen 1, (99-2002) Intake Cams might be the same,

So I did some research and it turns out to be correct; The part numbers are identical That means that everyone wanting to do the Cam Swap and pick up some easy HP just got lucky.

Now all we need to do is move our DL650 Intake Cams to the Exhaust Side and install Gen 2 SV650 Intake Cams to our Intake Sides and easy HP.

If you can adjust your valves you can do this HP upgrade,

You can get the Gen 2 Intake Cams New for about $350 shipped to your door which makes the cost quite affordable,

Anyone interested in getting the Cams and doing the upgrade can Email me Directly at b.layton@svracingparts.com

I will be posting up the Dyno Graph once I can get onto the Dyno later this month,

This makes the DL650 even more fun to ride,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Blaor, I compared part numbers for intake cams for a 2002 SV650 versus my '06 Wee and find that the numbers are different according to the fiche on Motosport's site. Can you clarify? Thanks
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up

It is the cam profiles that are identical, You are good to go,

The DL650 Cams are not discontinued, they are only out of stock in the USA,

An order will have Japan ship and the parts become listed as available again, this has been the Suzuki way for many years with parts,

Let me know whenever you are ready, I will get you looked after right away,

Blair
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 AM
$tromtrooper

That was the clarity I was looking for. Thanks, Blair.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Moderator++

The Gen 1 SV650 and the Wee intake cams do have the same lobe height. Having no part number listed on the parts fiche for the rear intake cam on the Wee would make it difficult to order.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
$tromtrooper

Pat, I recently spent quite some time trying to track down the rear intake for the Wee. Some online fiche's don't even list it as you mentioned. However, I was able to locate it on a site or two that listed it but had none in stock. One online dealer offered to try and track it down thru the dealer network. The Gen 1 cams from the SV650 appear to readily available so that could be a viable answer for someone needing the rear intake cam. I have clairty now on this and don't need to bother folks with issue any longer. Thanks to Blair, you, and some others who posted part numbers.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up DL650 Cam Swap from the SV650 to our bikes

Hi, you won't find the cams sitting anywhere in the dealer network. These are specific need parts so dealers are only going to order when they have a real request,

Let me know whenever you are ready Troy and I will get them directly from Suzuki USA for you and you will be good to go,

Blair
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStrom44444 View Post
And... one more thing. When you do the mod, swap the front cylinder first, and be sure to rotate it one revolution back to the front mark again and do the rears. This wasn't clear in the thread detailing the swap, and some people have gotten them out of sync. If you end up out of sync, the service manual has a very easy procedure using the marks to get things back in time with the crank, so don't worry too much. I was installing A.P.E. manual tensioners at the same time, and ended up having the chain slip because I hadn't tensioned it before trying to rotate the motor, and it was simple to get everything timed back up again.
For clarity, when you state to do the front cylinder first and then rotate one revolution 'back'...do you mean backward from normal engine running rotation? With one rotation = 360 degrees, why not just rotate forward? Would that not be the same?...or am I missing something? When I do My YZ426F valve lash check, I find TDC on compression by using the crankshaft marks AND also by visually checking that the cam lobes point 180 degrees away from each other. Since the cams turn at exactly half the speed of the crank, it's imperative that the crank ID mark line up when at TDC of the compression stroke. I don't mean to be difficult, I'd just like to be clear.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Moderator++

Always turn the engine counterclockwise, the normal running direction. After the front cylinder is done, the crankshaft is rotated 270 degrees to do the rear.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement