Back pain with upright riding postion - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Back pain with upright riding postion

My lower back has been going out sporadically the last few weeks for day or so and then feeling a bit better. But on the days it's bad, I can barely stand up straight. First time in years this has happened.

Only things that's really changed is that I've been riding the Wee almost every day to work the last month (38 miles/day). I'm starting to think the upright riding position is slowly aggravating my lower back. Even with a good ohlins rear shock and a good ride, the upright position still makes me feel the bumps in the road right up my lower back even if they're not that jarring. Just the nature of the position.

Used to commute solely on my CBR1100XX that is slightly leaned over. I have bar risers on it so it's not a huge stretch to the bars....it's more of sport-touring position with a slight lean forward with legs bent and behind me. I've never had any back pain of any sort in the 3yrs I've had the Blackbird. Bumps in the road are absorbed mainly through the arms and shoulders b/c I'm leaned over some.

The Wee is more "comfortable" to me especially for longer rides. But I'm starting to wonder if my stubborn lower back will tolerate sitting almost bolt upright.

As a test I'm going to Blackbird it for 2 weeks and see if my back gets aggravated. It's been 3 days so far and nothing.

Then 2 weeks on the WeeStrom and see if things change.

If it turns out to be the Wee, I'm not going to play around with anything..already have a Sargent seat, Ohlins rear shock, and upgraded front springs. I'll probably get rid of it and just ride the Blackbird.

Hope it doesn't come to that b/c I really like the Wee but my lower back may not.

Update

Rode the Wee for the first time in about 4 days. Back has been feeling great since I stopped riding it. Been only on CBR1100XX.

Back is hurting bad again after one commute. This is reminiscent of my '06 Bonneville. Similar riding position to the Wee. Wee has better suspension though. Back was always killing as my sensitive lower back absorbing the bumps in the road. Tried a kidney belt back then and it did nothing. It's not support I need...it's just where I'm absorbing the impact.

Sold it. Kept my Blackbird. Back pain was non-existent.

I'm just going to have accept that a SPORT-touring riding position is what works for me as it has for the last several years. If anything I may go to a Concours 14 down the road if riding position is sporty enough. Otherwise I'll just keep Blackbirding it.

Like I said I've been down this road of never ending back pain with standard riding position bike once before. I don't want to go through it again.

Will be putting Wee up for sale. Sad but necessary.

Last edited by barryg; 06-30-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM
$tromtrooper

You could, of course, put some lower handlebars on it instead of selling it.

But, yes, I do notice the same thing. My VFR doesn't make my back hurt nearly as bad as my V-Strom does. Sitting straight up puts all of the weight on your lower back. Leaning forward any amount puts part of the weight on your arms and stomach muscles.

Last edited by SCraig; 06-29-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have 2 herniated discs in my back and I have no problems with the Strom Wee. I have 2" risers on OEM bars too. The only time I have back pain is when I try to move the bike around while sitting on it. I get the pain about 3 hrs later. I can't see how an upright position is worse than a leaned forward. Have you tried the master yoda seating theory. Master Yoda's Riding Position - BMWSportTouring Forums I know it sounds goofy, but look at it and if you can give it some time. It will give you the same posture that is happening on your leaned forward bikes. Don't over do it just do it like they say.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

google the "yoda" riding position.

Basically, you perch on the seat and bend at the hip not the waist, balancing your upper body over your own center of gravity, with hands resting lightly on the bars.

Any other form of slouching/curved back will lead to pain.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Yoda position can work for most, but if your hamstrings are tight they aren't going to let you go "Yoda" for very long. So maybe if you stretch them out (one at a time is less daunting), cantering the pelvis forward won't feel weird.

Besides stretching the hams, try laying on your back with a couple pillows under the small of your back. Seems counterintuitive, but it'll help relax those back and hip muscles . . . if you give it long enough. But you've got to be patient because it may tense them up at first, before they start to relax.

You might want to look into Rolfing. Worked for me.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have you tried using a kidney belt?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
google the "yoda" riding position.

Basically, you perch on the seat and bend at the hip not the waist, balancing your upper body over your own center of gravity, with hands resting lightly on the bars.

Any other form of slouching/curved back will lead to pain.
I'll try it. I already try and mimick the CBR's riding position by leaning a bit forward, balls of feet on pegs. But I never slouch.
I just feel like I can't enough lean regardless to have road imperfections absorbed by my arms/shoulders......just due to the inherent riding position of the Strom.

Not putting on any belts..no big work-arounds. It'll either work for me or it won't....I'll sell the bike before I have to wear one of those to ride the Wee. I already know there's another bike in the garage that gives me zero problems.

Last edited by barryg; 06-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have six screws and two rods in my lower back and I am in much less pain riding my Wee than I was on my Concours. All of my doctors have told me that sitting upright is better for the back than bending forward.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM
$tromtrooper

The Master Yoda position really did the trick for the pain between my shoulders. I even removed my risers and did a 900 mile weekend with no major problems: Back pain - thoroughly disgusting and unreasonable
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral_snake View Post
I have six screws and two rods in my lower back and I am in much less pain riding my Wee than I was on my Concours. All of my doctors have told me that sitting upright is better for the back than bending forward.
I agree but I don't feel like I'm bending forward on the Blackbird b/c my feet are further behind me and the pegs are higher. I feel that I'm leaned forward naturally as a result of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement