Install starter - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Install starter

I may need to install a new starter.....any suggestions, tips, directions would be greatly appreciated. I have 06' 650 V-Strom. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Moderator++

That's rarely a requirement. What are the symptoms of your problem?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default starter

Thanks for answering. When battery is fully charged. Starter draws it down immediately and makes a grinding sound. It will not turnover.
Prior history:
This bike was dumped (not by me) and we replaced the broken OEM turn signals with flush mini blinkers and coincidentally, the bike started running erratically. Could we have damaged the electronic control modular by using the mini lights? And yes, the turn signals flash quickly as opposed to the rhythm of the OEMs. We replaced the lights last fall and the bike immediately ran rough but we never had an issue with the bike not starting until now. We took it to our local dealer (not specifically a Suzuki dealer) but after weeks of working on it, and presumably talking to Suzuki techs, they shrugged their shoulders and told us to use a gas treatment.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Moderator++

The flash rate is from the reduced wattage in the bulbs. No signal bulb change should have any effect on the engine. The starter in in constant mesh through a one way clutch, not a Bendix. It should never grind. You can take out the bolts and undo the wire and pull it out to check the shaft. Do check the battery wiring for looseness or corrosion and have the battery load tested at an auto parts store. Unless something obvious pops up, take it to a certified Suzuki mechanic. Getting hints over the phone is no substitute for training and experience.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Install starter

Bike fired up this am. Checked fuses(all good) & plugs (clean) and the bike must have liked the attention because it fired up great and is running without glitches. However, it continues to run like the older BMWs did before they changed to Twin plugs in their bikes. Surging at low (city speeds) and again around 50 but most noticeably at lower speeds. Would it help to have the carbs synchronized. We live at 5200 ft. If we take it to an authorized dealer, it would be in Phoenix and they are at sea level (roughly). But why now? I've had the bike for 3 years and this surging is new.

ps. I'm an orginal cheesehead who relocated to AZ in 01. Heading back to Milwaukee for a 3 week visit soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Moderator++

That's a throttle body synch, no carbs. Atmospheric pressure doesn't matter. The sensor for the fuel injection takes it into account. It's funny you mentioned the BMWs. I think my DL650 feels very much like my old R90S did with about the same weight and horsepower. Neither surged though. If I were you, I'd take it to Phoenix. Maybe somebody in the West and Southwest forum could recommend a place. Create a post at West and Southwest - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Smile Thanks GreyWolf

Conclusion to surging problem. I took the bike to the local Yamaha dealer and in no time he came back with the problem. The battery was dead. Our tester said it was full but his said dead. New battery and Im down the road as smooth as can be. I sure appreciate your help and advice and should you run across others mentioning "surging", you can suggest taking it to a dealer to have the battery tested. Whew! A quick fix. Thanks again and ride safe!
Bugzi
Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Yep, you're a lucky guy... GW may have saved you from replacing your starter unnecessarily... Glad you got it worked out...

Richard

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
The battery was dead. Our tester said it was full but his said dead.
A too-dead-to-work battery can take a full charge of 12.6 volts or more but have too little capacity to get its job done. This shows on a load test. I have a battery just like this on a chipper. One clue is that it recharges too quickly from dead to "full charge." And then it just gives about half a crank of the engine and no more.

Americas infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristof
Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Battery

I have a relatively new NT700 with less than a 1000 miles and the battery went south and it acted like mentioned in previous post:
"One clue is that it recharges too quickly from dead to "full charge." And then it just gives about half a crank of the engine and no more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement