Plug, Patch or replace??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Plug, Patch or replace???

Pulled the Wee out for a ride and my almost new Battle Wing front tire was flat .
After close inspectin I found what looks like a small finish nail in the center of the tire. I am geting mixed opinions from my friends and from reading old threads here, do I need a new tire or is a plug a safe repair? Have done it on my car many times and then put 25k on the tire with no trouble. I would like to go that way.

It Kills me to have to replace what is a almost new tire. But I would rather replace it than have it KILL me on the road with a blow out.

What is the general rule on this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've never had a hole in a front tire, but have patched many rears and then got full mileage out of them. If you have it repaired, have the tire broken down and plug/patched from the inside.
'03 DRZ400$ sold, down to one bike

Last edited by 2tall; 02-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
What Kinda Bike Is That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richards View Post
Pulled the Wee out for a ride and my almost new Battle Wing front tire was flat .
After close inspectin I found what looks like a small finish nail in the center of the tire. I am geting mixed opinions from my friends and from reading old threads here, do I need a new tire or is a plug a safe repair? Have done it on my car many times and then put 25k on the tire with no trouble. I would like to go that way.

It Kills me to have to replace what is a almost new tire. But I would rather replace it than have it KILL me on the road with a blow out.

What is the general rule on this?

You will not incur a blowout. If the plug leaks, it will be a slow leak. Plug the tire and ride it. You will be okay.
"In most men, there lurks a lesser man, and his presence smells in the the sun."
1961, Ernest K. Gann: "Fate Is The Hunter"
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

"You will not incur a blowout. If the plug leaks, it will be a slow leak."

I dunno, but I've had a plug spit out and deflate right quick on a car tire once.
As much of a PITA as it is, breaking the bead and patching from the inside is the safer way to go.
If you feel like plugging it use the Camel brand orange sticky plugs and take it easy for awhile.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Nice price on those camel kits!

Camel tire repair kit

I have a Safety Seal kit from my wrecker driving days. They are the industry standard and have the best darn plugs I've ever used. Made lots of money with my Safety Seal, of course at their pricing, you need to:

Auto Kits

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[I][SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Gray"]"Drop a gear and disappear."[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/I]
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
What Kinda Bike Is That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorlac View Post
"You will not incur a blowout. If the plug leaks, it will be a slow leak."

I dunno, but I've had a plug spit out and deflate right quick on a car tire once.
As much of a PITA as it is, breaking the bead and patching from the inside is the safer way to go.
If you feel like plugging it use the Camel brand orange sticky plugs and take it easy for awhile.
If you use mushroom plugs, they won't spit out.

There are a whole of opinions on this topic; "Do I plug?", "Do I replace the tire?", "Which plug system do I use; 'mushroom', or 'sticky worms'?"

All of them work. I have exclusively used mushroom plugs for the past four seasons. I have not had a failure or problem with them in that time. I am talking about thousands and thousands of miles ridden on plugged tires!

To me, the answer lies with what the rider is comfortable with. Last year, I put about 6,000 miles on a plugged rear Trailwing. That tire was a gift from a friend. He decided that he wanted to replace the tire, so he gave it to me. I plugged it and rode the tire another 6,000 miles. That included a trip from Maine to West Virginia and back. However, if I were riding up the James Bay Road to Radisson, Québec, I would have swapped the plugged tire for a new tire, or non-plugged tire.

I keep several used tires stored in my garage to be able to swap in and out on my bike if necessary. I ride with a 12v air compressor, tire plug kit and the tools necessary to remove a damaged tire and install one if I have to, (which I have had to do in a campground in Canada once!)

B.L.
"In most men, there lurks a lesser man, and his presence smells in the the sun."
1961, Ernest K. Gann: "Fate Is The Hunter"
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

B.L. I've been considering mushroom plug kits for my travels; my Safety Seal tools are large. I came across a posting, message, something about those mushroom plugs and I read that they work great for most punctures unless they are at an angle.

Have you have any trouble with such?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[I][SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Gray"]"Drop a gear and disappear."[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/I]
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

A small nail in the center of the tire should be no problem for a plug. I am a big fan of the sticky rope type, have used them several times. If it's in the meat of the tread I would plug it and go. Keep an eye on your tire pressure as usual. You'll know soon enough if something is up with the plug. I have put several thousand miles on a plugged tire where the hole was straight in and in the center of the tire.

Ride every day, it's good for you.
07 650A | C10 | KLR250(x2)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Put a hole in my tire last year riding with a group of guys off this forum around Mt. Adams. I plugged my tire and it is still doing well after a couple of thousand miles and winter off. I have used the sticky rope type plugs and I don't have experience with the mushroom type.
1986 XR600R,1986 VF1000R,1999 CBR1100XX,2006 CRF450X,2007 DL1000 V-Strom
Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nealey Tire Repair Kits...Patch & plug while on the rim
Nealey Tire Repair Kit - How It Works

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement