Plug, Patch or replace??? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Plug, play, and forget it. I have used them on cars, trucks, atv, and bikes. They always outlasted the tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

If I'm on the road and have a flat, I use a normal string-type plug to get home. Then, depending on the life left in the tire and the type of hole the nail made, I will either remove it from the rim and plug it from the inside with a patch plug (lots of life left, straight in type of hole) or discard it for a new tire (not much life left and/or a large, jagged hole in the carcass).

'09 DL650 ABS (Sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebato View Post
Plug, play, and forget it. I have used them on cars, trucks, atv, and bikes. They always outlasted the tire.
+1111 What he said. I plugged probably over 100 tires. All with the sticky worm type and a little rubber cement that comes with the kit. Currently have almost 10k on a plugged stock rear tire.

The kit will be 6-10 bucks depending where you get it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I heard all the garb on previous posts about the dangers of plugging a hole... all crap!!! I agree with everybody that plug, play and forget. I picked up a nail only a few hundred miles into owning my Strom. it was plugged with a sticky string, cut down to fit, and remained on the bike until I wore the tread out about 6K later. I keep a patch kit and a pocket compressor under my seat and they all fit VERY nicely, tucked to the rear. It's actually a beautiful sight

2007 DL-650
1996 H-D Road King
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm almost in the plug, play & forget camp

remember to monitor air pressure & inspect carcass a couple days, a bit more than normal

if for some reason, the plug has damaged the cords,you should know shortly, no leaks ir funky bubbles in the tire, then forget, if there are, replace

only one time in I don't know how many tires have I had to replace a tire

when I first plugged it, the tire reacted normal, increasng in pressure as I rode (heated it up) but when it sat overnite, it would loose air, when riding, it would not loose air, in the 2nd day(300miles or so), a separation in the tread/carcass started to develop
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Default flat prevention

Another option to consider when installing a new tire. There is also a video where they use an ice pick, drill and run over a board full of nails and then ride away.

Tire Sealant | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On Tire Sealant
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Ride-on products?

The Ride-On tire sealant sure looks interesting has anyone here used it? The LED valve caps also.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a flat on a new tire, it was the rear, plugged and rode out the life of the tire with no issues. I would keep close eye on the tire pressure.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDevlin View Post
The Ride-On tire sealant sure looks interesting has anyone here used it? The LED valve caps also.
I run Ride-On in my tires. Started using it half way through the life of the original tires and have used it ever since. Did pick up a nail with the original rear tire but it went in at the edge of the tire and came out on the side so may not have penetrated. The tire never leaked air and I ran the tire till it wore out.

Ride-On also helps balances the tires. So I no longer balance them and haven't noticed any adverse affects.

YMMV

2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650K
1986 Honda Shadow VT700C
1974 Suzuki TM-250
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default LED pressure sensors?

Thanks. I've wondered what it would do to the balance. I'll probably get a couple of cans to carry when I'm on a trip. Has any one used the LED pressure sensors? I like the idea of an alarm when the pressure gets below 4 psi from the initial pressure fill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement