Install: Givi E21N & PLR532 Racks - DL650K9 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Install: Givi E21N & PLR532 Racks - DL650K9

Winter is in full swing and I had the time to tackle one of my winter projects which is to purchase some luggage and racks based on the reviews of awesome fellow Strommers from the forums. I appreciate all of the posts, pictures and feedback given here. It helps anyone looking for insight to make an informed buying decision.

The Wee-Strom has been in slumber since winterization in November. Here she sits thus far undisturbed with Tender Jr. steadfastly working its magic to keep the battery in check. To the left the new luggage components await installation. But before I delve into that part I want to make it clear that I am indeed going to discuss Giviís PLR532 for the DL650; the ĎRí denotes Rapid Release. These racks have been mentioned a time or two but not given any lengthy discussion or pics. The E21N 21 liter bags have already been discussed at great lengths.

In the photo above are the components that must be installed on the DL650. Since these racks are detachable, the components are rather small and unobtrusive. The left and right sides of the bike each receive three brackets that are somewhat similar and of course there are some replacement brackets for the rear fender. The two smaller brackets in the middle of the photo require some comments.

Take note that the smallest bracket for the right side (R/S) is slightly flatter than its counterpart. This can be seen clearly when the two components are brought together. The larger middle brackets are identical in construction. There is no mention of this in the documentation at any point. Documentation is pictorial and contains nary a sentence.

The reason for the differences in the small brackets was unclear until I considered the muffler. I concluded that the flatter bracket must be for the (R/S) to reach further out than would be needed on the left. During installation I attempted no trial and error; I simply placed the flatter farther reaching bracket on the muffler side. In the end everything fit together perfectly.

The securing points are fairly straight forward and here I use one of the smaller brackets to give you a close-up of the front and back sides.

The racks themselves are of small stature and have a low profile.

The key slots are three pointed.

There is only a single key provided with the racks. Iím not too crazy about this.

Further inspection of the mating points reveals how they fit together.

The components used to secure the rear portion.

The spacers on the right are flipped over and inserted into the holes.

When you place the rear luggage carrier in place over the spacers you must route the brackets into the recessed slot on the luggage carrier itself. The instructions do not make this part very clear. For this part, Givi provides replacement bolts.

In the photo above you can see the smaller bracket in place. You will use the original factory bolt to secure the small brackets and carrier at these points. Itís important to note that you should only make the bolts for the luggage carrier snug at this point. When you are ready to fit the racks on you will be able to make minor adjustment to their position by swiveling them slightly for the best fit.

For the lower side brackets you must remove the passenger footrests. The narrow thin bracket fits on the left side and goes between the footrests and rear sub-frame. Givi provides replacement bolts for this application. Be sure to use Loctite.

The right side utilizes the curved bracket for the purposes of the preload adjuster. Replacement bolts are also provided here.

Depending on your locale and configuration the rear fender may have a bracket already installed to support the license plate and rear reflectors. You must remove this bracket entirely in order to fit Giviís rear fender bracket. In doing so, you will lose the rear reflectors. That is of course until you decide how you are going to address that.

I had to cut out the slots in order to remount the license plate.

Once I installed the front and back portions of the new bracket, I mounted the license plate with a set of rubber washers to reduce contact vibration and provide space between the plate and the bolts used to secure Giviís bracket to the fender. Givi did not provide mounting nuts/bolts for mounting the plate. I had some spare pieces available for this purpose. Also visible in the image above is a spare hole. This hole appears on both sides of the fender and allows for the use of padlocks.

The installation is very clean.

The mounts are solid with no play at all. There are no loose fitting components or rattles of any kind. The rack key fits securely into each mounting point and a quick twist to lock or unlock results in a very positive action. You can have both racks removed within 30 seconds.

The mounting points permanently installed on the bike are solid and will not bend or flex at all. They will take some abuse and the powdercoating will scratch with repeated installation and removal of the side racks.

All tolled with top case I have 78 liters of storage which is more than ample for my needs. I neglected to take a photo of the setup with a rack removed but based on the install photos above you should be able to discern that with the racks removed, the ONLY visible mount points are the small brackets at the forward end of the luggage carrier which stick out and cover the nomenclature on the side panels.

Manufacturer: Givi
Retailer: Sport Tour
Pricing:

PLR532 Rapid Release Racks = $205.95 US
E21N Matte Black Monokey = $169.00 US
Shipping = $0.00

Total: $374.95

The Mega Tool Tube with 4 liter fuel bottle was purchased from TheToolTube Dot Com. A nice kit that included mounting hardware for $52. The top case is a Givi knockoff from JC Whitney item # 27022 for about $80 bucks shipped.

I hope this helps someone interested in this particular setup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[I][SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Gray"]"Drop a gear and disappear."[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/I]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
$tromtrooper

Great photos and write up on the installation.

2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650K
1986 Honda Shadow VT700C
1974 Suzuki TM-250
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalky Tracker View Post
Great photos and write up on the installation.
Yes, thanks much for a detailed installation. I haven't got my wee yet (coming any day now) but I have been lurking here for a while and don't know which way to go yet with luggage. This helps... looks great.
Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Many thanks for posting. I am planning on the E21 sidebags and your pictures are very useful.
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Wow, they've changed up the mounting of those racks a lot since I bought mine.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
Wow, they've changed up the mounting of those racks a lot since I bought mine.
That's because this is a removable version. For myself, I think the extra crash protection the regular rack provides if left on is worthwhile, so I don't need the removable feature. Great writeup, though.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quigg, gotta tell ya. The removables are virtually immovable. For the extra $53 bucks it's a nice option and I can see what you mean about the extra protection.

I got the removables simply because I thought they would look bad without the bags. They don't so I have some options regardless.

Still great gear.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[I][SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Gray"]"Drop a gear and disappear."[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/I]
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thumbs up To ZepRider

ZepRider,
Great post! I'm almost finished installing my luggage racks. Thanks to your post (with outstanding details, notes, and photos), it is going well. I'd have been lost a few times without it.
Fellow Strommers: In addition to the PLR532 rack system ($196), I am installing E360 Monokey Side Cases ($370/pair). At the same time, I am installing the E460 Top Case ($188.00), using the E528 Adapter Plate ($71). For planning purposes, portions of these two jobs are performed simultaneously. I purchased 3 matching tumblers ($19), and the incandescent, top-case brake light kit ($41, but I probably should have paid the extra cake for the LED version). The folks at Sport Tour LTD were fantastic to work with.
The biggest obstacle for me was the electrical work, but my father is very handy with wires, and willing to help (brake light nearly complete). One note: we opted to remove the entire rear fender/light assy in order to solder the wires, but also incorporated a wiring quick disconnect, in case any future maintenance necessitates removal. It was fairly easy; just removed two allen-bolts below the turn signals, the electrical harness Q/D, and the end of the seat-lock cable . Be careful during install, so the wires and harness do not get pinched between the fender and the plastic-storage-compartment wall.

P.S. - I am considering a modification to the license plate area, in order to retain the original license plate bracket. Iíll probably opt for bushings or spacers, but if it looks ridiculous, or sticks out too far to be illuminated, Iíll scratch that idea.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks for the great photos of the plr532 rack install.

Did the mega tube fit in place without rubbing the rear mudflat piece or bodywork under the seat area?

I have a set of these luggage racks on the way, and want to add a tool tube, but before I order, I thought I'd check.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Great write-up. Very nice to have stuff like that available.
2008 DL650 (VStrom/WeeStrom/BeeStrom)

[url]http://motophotofile.blogspot.com[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement