tire plug, safe or not? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
$tromtrooper

I've used rope plugs several times, never had one fail but a couple did have very slow leaks. Use the rope on the road and when you get home...patch it from the inside.
2000 4X4 Rancher ( his )
2000 4X4 Rancher ( hers )
1991 XL250R ( hers )
1983 XR250L ( his )
1974 CB360 ( retired )
All from the same people who
brought to you "PEARL HARBOR"

Patriot Guard Rider
AMA Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here's my oinion: the determinig factor is the hole itself--if the hole is made by a nail or screw or wire, or anything leaving a small diameter hole, I use the sticky 'worm' style plug. It goes in kinda hard, but it's permanent. I cut it off at the tread surface with a sharp blade and she'll be good until the tire wears out. If the hole is elongated AT ALL, some people will patch it--I have made many many patches that held air well, but I have had a few fail--that's enough to make me distrust a patch on a motorcycle. That one percent failure rate would give me the willies until I got a new tire.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyfries View Post
I use the sticky 'worm' style plug. It goes in kinda hard, but it's permanent.
The more the tire is aired up before installing the plug, the easier it will go in. Just leave the ream tool in the hole and have the plug ready. When you get to about 20 psi or so, pull out the reamer and insert the plug.

No, I've never had the reamer shoot out the hole, even at full tire pressure.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Just bought a kit today

I just bought the The Nealey Company's standard plug kit online. I just wanted something for the just in case. Heck I don't even pick up my new used bike until Friday. I----Can't-----Wait-!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Probably been said, but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread.

A plug used by any good maintenance shop will outlast your tire. Had it happen on my brand new BWs and got my concerns put to rest.

OEM hand guards, Givi racks, HUGE ammo cans, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, Pat Walsh engine bars/skid pan and a meat bag on the seat.

To come: Bi-xenon projector headlight mod w/ angel eyes, LED signals/brake light.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Thread revival

Ok so this is kind of funny. I googled riding on a plugged motorcycle tire. I got results for many different threads including this one. All of the threads were 90% saying replace the tire dumb ass, except this one. Why are you guys so confident with plugs and the rest of the motorcycle world is not?

I plugged my tire about 400 miles ago not really giving it much after thought. But I am going on a 2500ish mile trip in a few weeks and started thinking it might be wise to replace. but I only have 1500 miles on the tire and I am a cheap ass. I would hate to inconvenience my riding group if I were to blow the plug. (if Jim or Marc are reading this, stop screaming at the screen).

L2 DL650A Adventure Mar 13' to...
06' Wee Feb 10' to May 13'
04' Honda Shadow Aero 06'-10'
Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just noticed this thread come up. That Nealey repair kit looks really good, I ordered four for my bikes emergency kits. Looks like it and a couple fill bottles won't take a lot of room. I had a flat on my R1150R and had the BMW tire repair kit with me. The rubber inserts where dry rotted and the glue had gone bad. I was with some other guy and he had the stringy type and good glue. Ran it home 250 miles without issues. Replaced the tire, but have it in my garage thinking of trying to patch it with a permanent repair.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

We live in a pretty litigious society, especially when it comes to product liability. I figure if it was dangerous to plug a motorcycle tire with a kit that was specifically designed to plug tires (in other words, the kit was being used as intended), by now someone would have sued a tire plug manufacturer after some catastrophic accident, and there would be big warnings on tire plug kits not to use them on motorcycle tires. I haven't seen every tire plug kit, but there aren't any warnings on mine.

I'm not aware of any consumer safety reports that indicate that it's unsafe to plug a motorcycle tire. I'm not saying there isn't such a report; only that I don't know about one. Maybe someone out there on the forum knows more about that.

I wouldn't hesitate to plug the tires on my V-strom. I might have some pause about plugging the tire on a high performance bike like a GSXR, but that wouldn't be based on anything but my own unsubstantiated fear about a tire plug in a high performance bike.

As for why this forum doesn't share the opinion of the other forums about tire plugs, who knows? Maybe guys on here don't place as much faith in anecdotal evidence as they do on the other forums.
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (traded)
1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 (traded)
1982 Honda V45 Sabre (traded)
1982 Kawasaki 440LTD (sold)
Old 06-22-2013, 04:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
Ok so this is kind of funny. I googled riding on a plugged motorcycle tire. I got results for many different threads including this one. All of the threads were 90% saying replace the tire dumb ass, except this one. Why are you guys so confident with plugs and the rest of the motorcycle world is not?
Maybe the answer is that many of us actually speak from experience as opposed to just repeating what we read on the web.

I've used the string-type plugs four times on my bikes. They lasted up until the tire was replaced from wear which in one case was over 12,000 miles as the tire was patched a few days after being new. I also used the same kind of patch on my Porsche Boxster and drove that over 10,000 miles before the tire was replaced from normal wear.

Do what you want to do but I don't worry about patching a tire as long as the puncture isn't in the sidewall.

..Tom

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

In 2008 while returning from Central America my Chevy S10 ran over a nail. A kid on the corner cut off a 4" strand of poly rope, dipped it in a can of cement, jammed it in the hole -- cost me $1. Four years and 25k miles later, no problems. I don't see much chance of 'catastrophic failure from plugging a small hole on the tread surface. Maybe a leak, nothing more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement