Ignition Switch on PE and dead battery - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

im going to tear open the schematics of the bike on monday after my last final and see if I can get the oil pressure led to come on with it in ACC mode. that wouldnt add any extra load to the battery either.

Another idea would be to kick on auto flashers.

**links to websites removed by admin. do not replace**

Last edited by snoop; 12-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have looked at the diagram for a bit and it looks like the when the ignition is on, the parking light circuit is activated which lights up the rear light. So if the hazards were to come on automatically while in the parking mode then they would also come on while the engine is in the on position. I cant really think of how to do this. Anybody have any ideas?

**links to websites removed by admin. do not replace**
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default What is PE for on the keyswitch?

I'm wondering what the @#? the PE setting is for in the first place. It might not be so bad if it left the lights off and ran other things, but leaving the lights on with no engine means a dead battery in under an hour.

On top of that, most of these bikes (at least as is the case on my 07 model DL650), there is nothing else to run! No radio, no gadgets, etc.

So, before I go in with wire-cutters, can anyone tell me what a) PE stands for, and b) WHY it exists on the bike and is configured to drain the battery?

P.S.
someone else mentioned they could actually push-start a wee - but this bike is fuel injected, so I'm wondering how you (they) pulled that off. Anyone else been able to do that?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Moderator++

It's just a P and it stands for Park. Some laws haven't caught up to reality and the requirement for parking lights for vehicles is still on the books.

There can be enough juice to run the fuel pump but not enough to crank. That's when a push start can work.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Add me to the list of leaving on the parking lights on.
I was at the hospital visiting my wife after her hip replacement.
I walked to the parking lot and said who's the dumbass with the lights on.
Well it was me. I got lucky, after three hours, it still started.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Ignition Switch on PE and dead battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It's just a P and it stands for Park. Some laws haven't caught up to reality and the requirement for parking lights for vehicles is still on the books.

There can be enough juice to run the fuel pump but not enough to crank. That's when a push start can work.

I could have sworn I saw "PE" but ok. So its some legal/manufacturing parking light requirement. I think I'm getting out the wire cutters...

As for push-starting, good to know - so what did you have to do? Get it up to 5? 10? (mph) Did you roll down a hill and engage the clutch? Run with it? I'm really curious how that actually works since I've tried many times and failed every time (I'm pretty sure the pump came on from my recollection).

One last comment - why the heck is the key removable in that mode? Few cars allow that, and if it were not removable, it would be much harder to do by accident. The only thing I can think of is you are supposed to be able to walk away and leave it in that mode and you don't want your bike stolen. (I'm thinking breakdown situation- where you want flashers on - but then why would you want the headlights on?)

BTW, thanks mod for the super-fast reply. I figured I'd have to wait weeks considering how old the thread was. Still, it appears many people have this issue.

As for me, today I came in to work at 8 am, nearly new battery, fully charged. by 11:30 of leaving it in P(E) mode, it was totally dead, no fuel pump movement even, no LCD.

As for the person who got 3 hours out of it, I suspect they had LED headlights or something, or was crazy lucky. I've seen it die after 1-1.5h of being in that stupid mode.

Last edited by zbret; 12-17-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Moderator++

P only turns on tail light plus front position lights in some countries and now on Glees in the USA, not the headlights.

For bump starting, get it going as fast as you can it second or third while squeezing the clutch lever and pop the clutch.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Resume to include PE/dead battery trick ,duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
P only turns on tail light plus front position lights in some countries and now on Glees in the USA, not the headlights.

For bump starting, get it going as fast as you can it second or third while squeezing the clutch lever and pop the clutch.
Thnx even though this is a couple months old- 2 good answers- I commuted to work, parked and locked fork in bright sun and walked away, came out 5 hours later to dead battery - I just intuited that because this is my first MC - it had that clicking " your not going anywhere soon sound".
I was parked in the official university MC marked area at the top of a hill, and some student told me to aim it down the hill and pop the clutch. Night( very cold) was falling and the bottom of the hill was unlit and bad parking so I did not try it in case it failed. So I just removed the battery ,got a ride and hooked it up to charge overnight.
THIS forum is once again very valuable -
Hopefully the AM will bring a charged battery wee reunion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement