EBC HH brake pads in heavy rain - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default EBC HH brake pads in heavy rain

I've had the EBC HH pads on the front for about six months. They are well "broken in" and the stock rotors are still fine. I've been pretty satisfied with these all summer, but now that I'm finally riding in the heavy PNW rain, I'm not so sure. On initial application, it takes a second for them to start biting (I think that's true of most brakes in heavy rain), after that, they do work but as the bike slows below about 15 miles an hour they suddenly start to bite a lot more and make a honking/groaning sound. This bit is so annoying that I've taken to easing up on the front brake as I come to a stop. I'm a bit tempted to change them out for something else since I'll be rain commuting for the next several months.

It hasn't been too long since I last inspected the pads and they weren't "shot", but I'll check that again when I get home tonight.

Anybody else had problems with EBC in heavy rain?

Any suggestions for a different pad that might work better?

FYI: From what I recall:
  • The stock pads were OK in the rain but not very "strong"
  • The Carbone Lorraine pads I used before the EBC were pretty good in both rain and dry but wore very fast

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

OK, I checked the pads and they are in very good shape. The brakes are still very functional so I guess I'll put up with the "honking" and see how that goes through the Winter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just in case you got some foreign material on the rotors or pads, you can dress them with fine sandpaper. Lightly sandpaper the rotor surface, then clean with brake cleaner. Put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly sand the friction surface of the pads & clean with brake clean. Lube the back of the pads on the rubbing points with caliper grease, as well as cleaning and lubing the slides on the calipers.
Me: Honesty
Interviewer: I think honesty is a great strength
Me: I don't give a ---- what you think.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I avoid rain like the plague and can only imagine that, unlike a car' brakes, being fully exposed is not an ideal situation for this. You may be creating steam that could affect the pad>rotor conditions and increasing the heat to the point of attempting a fusion to develop. Scary stuff and maybe a slower speed and occessional applying the brakes to keep them dried off will minimize this experience.

I use ESC's HH-sintered brakes and love 'em - no damage to the rotors and just a minor amount of weear in 10,000+ miles. Use 'em on back in my '07 ABS model and they arere just right to traffic stops and in-the-turn slowdowns.

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Past:[/COLOR][/B] 1965 Honda CL 305 Super Hawk | 1975 Honda CB 360 | 1989 Honda NX 250 Dual Sport
[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Present:[/COLOR][/B]2007 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom
[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Future:[/COLOR][/B] Just Ride!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Ok...time to revive an ancient thread.

I have owned my used Wee for a couple of weeks now and the brakes are normally fine. However, my first ride in pouring, soggy rain scared the snot out of me when I first squeezed the front brake. There is basically NOTHING for a second or two and then they finally start biting almost as good as when dry. And like BryanD said in the first post, they make a groaning noise at slower speeds.

I have no idea what brand of pads are in there, but I think I should change them for something else. Anyone else experience this crazy phenomenon?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Ok...time to revive an ancient thread.

I have owned my used Wee for a couple of weeks now and the brakes are normally fine. However, my first ride in pouring, soggy rain scared the snot out of me when I first squeezed the front brake. There is basically NOTHING for a second or two and then they finally start biting almost as good as when dry. And like BryanD said in the first post, they make a groaning noise at slower speeds.

I have no idea what brand of pads are in there, but I think I should change them for something else. Anyone else experience this crazy phenomenon?
Organic pads work better under those conditions. That's a known problem with the high friction metalic pads.

Galfer black's from SV racing for example - insane stopping power on my L2 and fine in rain.

Pete

Last edited by PeteW; 09-28-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

I thought the Galfer Blacks were supposed to have less stopping power but longer lasting. I just put on Galfer HH from BLair and love them, but have yet to ride in the rain with them.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Organic pads work better under those conditions. That's a known problem with the high friction metalic pads.

Galfer black's from SV racing for example - insane stopping power on my L2 and fine in rain.
This is the tenth bike I have owned and the first time I have ever experienced rain affecting braking performance. Weird.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

No brake system works good when wet, anyone who goes through water in vehicles or bikes alike knows this, you must "ride" the brakes while accelerating to heat them up and dry them off. Very common with disk brakes, and almost constant with drum brakes.
It's not the pads fault if your rotors are wet, but some pads bite better in wet because they heat up quicker. Ceramic/ metallic compounds dissipate heat quicker and don't generate as much heat in the first place, therefore taking longer to stop when soaking wet. Once you warm them up you will immediately feel them perform as they do when dry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.