StromTrooper banner

Leaky Fork Seal!

14K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  NC712 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2007 Wee-Strom and discovered a film of oil on the right fork tube, just above the dust cover. I assume I have a leaking fork seal. Is this a common occurrence for this machine. The bike has 6000 miles on it, and the previous owner said he rode strictly street with some wet weather. If anyone knows or has had this happen to them, let me know. I called the shop, and they told me it would cost $265 to replace the fork seals. Shit!

#2 ·
There is a little trick that may help you out. Take a piece of 35mm film and cut one end at an angle. Insert it between the fork seal and the tube and then run it around the fork a few times while moving it up and down. This helps to remove dirt that may have found its way under the seal and caused the leak. My brother had a leak on his Kawi and I told him this little tip. It worked perfectly for him. Give it a go, you may save some money.

SS

#3 ·
If you don't happen to have 'film' you could use a developed negative from that shoebox under your bed. Just make sure it's not something you want a copy of in the future.

Another good choice is a thin brass feeler gauge.

#4 ·
That is a good idea with the negative and works sometime . Clean any rust or grime form the chrome forks tubes wipe down with some wd40 and dry with a soft cloth ,warning do not use steel wool on them scorer pad maybe .
I would ride the bike for a few thousand miole and see what leaks ,it may only leak 1/10 oz ,so realy there is no need to replace them till it leak bad. you can also try the stuff to fix leaky power steering seals , quite often seal have gone a bit stiff from lack of use . Just lift the rubber boots and aply a bit to the seals and fork tubes
If you replace the seals fitt fork gattors .

#5 ·
$265???!! Not "shit," you should be hollering "stop, thief!"

It's very easy to do yourself with just a few tools, and there are instructions all over this and other forums. Or you can find a free download of the K4 manual, which seems to be the pirated edition of choice.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Fork oil running down fork tube.

I went for a ride today, and discovered fork oil running down the fork tube. Fortunately, it did not flow into the brake assembly. If I try the 35 mm film technique to clean out the oil seals, and it works, should I be concerned about the oil level in the tube? Is there a possiblity of damaging the fork internals if I don't have enough oil in the fork?

Thanks for your input.

#10 ·
Yeah, heaven forbid the shop should actually cover their expenses and perhaps even (gasp, the horror!!!) make a small profit to justify keeping the place open.
What is it with those who take any comment about overcharging by shops and turn it into an all-out assault on capitalism? I worked for a living, too, before I retired, and if I had gone to the office one day and said "Hey, I want $265 for my first hour of work today," I would have been thrown out on my ear. That's simply TOO DAMN MUCH for an easy and quick job like replacing fork seals that requires next to no technical skills or knowledge.

What's next, $100 oil change? $50 tire air pressure adjustment? If a shopkeeper can't meet his expenses by providing decent service at a reasonable rate then maybe he ought to close up instead of off-loading his fiscal problems on the customer. Let the "invisible hand" work. Isn't that what the free-market advocates preach?

#11 ·
Mike, I'm sorry if I get grumpy when this stuff comes up, but it is irritating when someone who obviously has no idea what costs are involved in opening the doors every day on a bike shop/dealership starts throwing around "thief" and "stealership". There's a huge nut that has to be paid every month, and every transaction in the place has to pay it's share. Otherwise the shop closes. And many do.
Believe me, very few shop owners are getting wealthy on the business. If you think the going rate is out of line with their costs than by all means jump in, start a shop and make your fortune.

#12 ·
35mm film fix for leaking seals.

I tried the 35mm film technique for cleaning out the leaky fork seals. It appeared to solve the problem. I don't see any oil on the fork tube after moving it up and down. The only question is how much oil leaked out. I am not sure how long this leak has been happening, so I think I'll have the seals serviced at the shop, just to make sure the oil level in adequate.
Thanks for the comments.

E

#13 ·
I tried the 35mm film technique for cleaning out the leaky fork seals. It appeared to solve the problem. I don't see any oil on the fork tube after moving it up and down. The only question is how much oil leaked out. I am not sure how long this leak has been happening, so I think I'll have the seals serviced at the shop, just to make sure the oil level in adequate.
Thanks for the comments.

E
A little fork oil can look like a lot when it's spread evenly over surfaces. You might be fine.

#17 ·
You can use an old KOA or similar kinda firm card with a little hook cut out on a corner.
If you really have to change the seal, it's not a bad task. Look up Black Lab's tutorial. Worked for me.
You can let it go for a long time too.
A little bit of oil puking is going to look a lot worse that it really is.
You'd be hard pressed to empty the fork leg.
I think I rode home to Los Angeles from St Paul with what looked like a puker and still had oil in the fork.

#21 ·
Ditto on trying to clean debris from the seal by using a photo negative, or film. Sealmate has a pretty handy cleaner shaped to fit between the seal and the tube. Do you have any idea where you might have ridden in rough terrain that might have caused the seal to leak? Have you trailered the bike with the front end bottomed out? If no apparent riding or trailering, then I'd just clean it as suggested earlier and keep an eye on it. Such low mileage should not incur a leaky seal. Good luck.

PS - the dealer shop is blowing smoke. It is perfectly okay for owners to do work on their bikes, note what you have done, what installed/changed etc, and keep receipts for parts materials in a log book or with your owners manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.