StromTrooper banner

Elka rear shock for dl1000

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  basshead 
#1 ·
Do you know if the Elka rear shock the same for both the dl1000 and dl650. I found one used, but is listed for a dl1000.

#3 ·
I assume (but don't know) that the shocks are different for the 650 and 1000. But I know that whether the shock can cope with you and a passenger is down to the spring rate on that shock. Changing springs is not a million dollars.

But: if you upgrade the shock, do the front end too (at least springs and freshening all the seals etc.

I have an Elka rear shock and Gold Valve Emulators up front, along with appropriate springs on both ends. Very nice!

#4 ·
The stock Vee shock is slightly longer than the stock Wee shock but the Elka is length adjustable so that won't be a problem. Elka shocks are custom made for the rider. If the shock you're looking at was built for a heavy rider, you will be okay. If it was built for a light rider, the spring will be wrong for you but the wide range of mechanical plus hydraulic preload may be able to compensate to a good enough degree. Elka is no longer making motorcycle shocks. They may be able to wind a new spring for your shock if you need it though.

#6 ·
Well got my shock back from Sasquatch and only did a short ride, but when taking a exit the bike feel a lot more solid now.

Install was going to be easy, but then the ABS got in the way so instead of a 20 min job it took me an hour more to figure a way to get the damn preload adjuster out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.