StromTrooper banner

Stuck in berkeley springs wv - dead elecs

6K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  Macdoc 
#1 · (Edited)
dl650 2010 abs Bike was running fine - no sign of issues leading up 0:)

Pulled over to take a photo and noticed ABS flickering .....uh oh ....stator or something ....I was not near anything so continued south sputtering and coughing finally it died. Coasted to a relatively safe spot but no shade and awaited a tow

bike s now at
RIDERSVILLE CYCLE BERKELEY SPRINGS,

courtesy a rider who stopped and recommended.

Is there any chance its something other than a stator - ie dead battery? Battery is only a year old .

anything else?

Not the worst place to be stuck http://www.wvbedandbreakfasts.com/listings/themanorinn-berkeley-springs-west-virginia.html

#3 ·
It's at the dealer...I will pass that along. - pretty sure from the symptoms the battery was not the issue but rather power supply to the battery was failing and eventually ran the battery down.

#5 · (Edited)
i saw that - looked neat - 1/2 mile - think I can handle that

https://www.facebook.com/EarthDogWV/?fref=ts

Thanks - would be great if just battery tho that one is reasonable new but thats exactly my failure symptom. I had my XP-3 along but no use running that down as needed for cell

Served up a lemon...make lemonade

stuffed with chicken wings and lotsa coffee
headache from too long in the sun waiting for a tow is receding

Fireworks and fireflies now - stunning spring evening...not a breath of wind.

this town has an amazing spa that is a big attraction …pretty close

It’s a huge facility

http://www.berkeleyspringssp.com

maybe will cure my shoulder :D

.will likely wander down to Earthdog for lunch barring miracle of repaired bike.

Then I'll have enough food for supper.....Yanks and their monster meals ;)

#8 ·
IF it's indeed the stator and not the battery, and IF you are fed up with your present location and want/need to move, and IF you can find a fellow rider who is going that way, here's something you can try.

Charge up both batteries - his and yours. Ride towards your destination for half an hour, maybe a bit more. Stop and swap batteries; this will probably take you about two minutes. Your depleted battery will now be charged in his bike, and you're using his (full) battery for the next half hour. It's a bit dependent on the charging current but most likely you should be able to continue riding this way essentially indefinitely: The charging current is significantly more than what the ECU & fuel pump use together.

Obviously you should try to use as little electricity as possible, so no heated vests, gloves and whatnot. Also, make sure you stop early enough so that the battery you're using still has enough charge to get his bike started after the swap. (You may want to bring a pair of starter cables anyway.)

It's an emergency measure only, but it may just get you home, or at least to a more convenient spot.

#9 ·
Looking forward to the resolution post. I hope it is good news.

#10 ·
Main thing even more so if in a no head lite on needed in day time. Take out headlight fuse or reach inside faring and unhook them.Even if in a lights on state have never been pulled over doing this but got behind a rider with a light.You will be able to go lots of miles this way on a charged battery before the change was too weak to hurt any thing.Have went all day this way and made it home but I roll started and did not use horn or turn signals unless some one behind or turning in front of some one. Good luck.

#11 ·
Long way from home in Toronto ...had one guy get out of Alaska by by a deep cycle boat battery - strapping it on the seat....riding for the day and charging...GreyWolf suggested similar ...
Weather is soooo nice too....:crying2:

Hoping to know more in about an hour. Will keep everyone posted.

#13 ·
Unlike some of the past examples using carbureted bikes, running a total loss system with a car battery on a V-Strom has to run the fuel pump. I'm not sure you'll get an all day trip per charge.

#15 · (Edited)
They won't ...simply won't get into the bike ...company policy tho I will ask. What's involved...I can look it up and have basic tool kit but very marginal hands so a tough screw would be a no go.

Looks like a number of fasteners and a gasket??

Don't think my knees will tolerate that as have no workspace....

Think maybe pick up the bike from Honda and run it over to Romney for a look see.

I'm staying another night so....

#17 · (Edited)
maybe that's not a bad idea to grab a spare charged battery from Honda.

And that is what I am doing. Picking up bike and battery at 4 pm.

I'll have a lovely two nights at Manor Inn with good conversation and a wonderful host plus a superb breakfast all courtesy of my roadside assistance insurance.

Gorgeous June weather, lots of fireflies and a big porch to work from.

Leave tomorrow early for home - it's only 375 miles by slab. Fire up the Audio book and get home to reload.

Guess I will move to the CBF1000 for the touring and order a stator in for the DL650. The Wee needs a tire change as well....there are K60s waiting...poor old mule has been worked hard this June...

3300 km loop of superior

2400 km Algoma loop.

No wonder she balked. ;)

Thanks everyone for support and info. Will keep you posted.

Berkeley Springs sure is a nice town to break down in. :D

#18 ·
Are you saying Ridersville refused to work on your bike?
I must misunderstand this. No dealership can be that dumb.

#19 ·
Ridersville is not Suzuki dealership. Like Romney cycle they are a high volume dealership more interested in moving new units than anything else. At least that has been my experience.

To the OP

If it ends up being a stator and Romney doesn't have one in stock M&S cycle in Chambersburg PA (100 miles north of Romney) has one. Its slated to be installed in my bike on 7/6/17 but I'm in no hurry and my current stator is functional. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

#20 · (Edited)
That is really good info. 100 miles north is perfect.
Romney does not have stock and backordered everywhere. I think that makes sense to get that installed - can you arrange it?

I would get there around 10 am - let me know by PM

They are not open today but open at 9 am

It's on my way home anyways but if you could call at 9 am and advise them I will go there anyways.

••••

I understand the old stator could be rewound tio better than new. If that's case - since the Wee is a long time keeper - I'll take the old with me.

#21 · (Edited)
Wouldn't it make sense to have your battery tested/replaced and go from there as long as you don't know what is really the problem? Just asking
You could always head north to that shop after a new battery and then if it is the stator, your there.

Sorry, missed your last posts.
Good luck

#22 ·
The battery tests okay, the charging voltage is down a bit.
A fresh battery gets me home....I'll keep the old as a spare.

If the stator is available for install tomorrow in PA I'll do that.

The old girl deserves some attention ...125,000 reliable km ....I can afford to be proactive.

Maybe the tip over getting it on the tow truck got it charging again ??? ;)

#23 · (Edited)
Are you saying Ridersville refused to work on your bike?
I must misunderstand this. No dealership can be that dumb.
Basically yes tho they did some basics after coaxing - this was after telling I was recommended by one of their customers.
The sales guy thought someone had tried to steal the bike cuz "the handlebar is up by the windshield" :surprise::confused:( ie the lock was on for anyone the LEAST familiar with motocycles ).
The impression was how dare you park another brand at our gates.

For your edification call them and ask if they will repair a Suzuki.
(304) 258-1449

I think it's a Honda policy that's getting in the way.

they did not respond to email - neither to service or sales.

#24 · (Edited)
Well that's awe-full nice of Honda to not even try and help a stranded motorcyclist. Policy or not they could have done something to help. Anyway, I hope the battery was fully charged then load tested before they sent you on your way. Next step would be to borrow/buy a multi tester and test the stator yourself.....then all doubt is removed.

Next time try and break down closer to E. TN.....could have picked your bike up with my enclosed trailer and we would have got you back on the road post haste;)

#25 ·
Stator saga continues.

They did in the end get me out the door with two charged batteries - old and new and I was informed that the stator was outputting 12.4 volts as long as I kept the revs high

IF that was correct I would be home in an hour from now

Unfortunately that was not correct.

I picked up the stator that a member here had reserved in Chambersburg - very nice dealer MS Cycle. Now in hindsight I should have let him install it BUT he could not get to it for 4 hours so that meant another overnight.
Since the bike seemed to be running okay on the old battery in that first hour off I went.

Couple hours later it started the miss thing and I pulled off right away in a decent place.
Put in the new battery and all good. Small issue - somehow the key in the top case rotated the cylinder....would not come out and i could not open the top case but it would come off and lock on but from the wrong key position,:furious::confused:

Deal with it when I get home.....

Moving along nicely, hungry and wanted to stretch fuel so I had only one fill up before home.

Pulled in - filled the bike
Got a chicken salad ...too a break....geared up, on the bike ...hit the starter - nobody home ,,,,nooooooo!!!
Called around .....called around Suzuki dealer happy to do it but closes at 5 and closed tomorrow ...sigh....
He recommends Honda dealer ....hmmmm...okay.
Called - mechanic willing to do it.

Tow truck arrives this time with two strong and knowledgeable guys instead of the nice but hard of hearing 75 year old last time.
The Honda dealer is only 5 miles away .......hmmmm...I suggested we try and jump start after leaving the jumpers on the battery for a bit.

Success....nerve racking 5 miles in some traffic but kept revs up and got there.

The bike even restarted to get it into the shop.

Where's the stator ??? In the top case OF COURSE!!!!!! ...the one we can't open. :crying2:

So some small brute force with what looked like plastic case crackers and the damn thing apparently released without damage tho that will seen.
Key still stuck ....apparently locksmiths around here don't work on motorcycle luggage. That is for another day.

So bike and parts are at the dealer....both batteries being charged....decently cool motel...and tomorrow is another day

Longest bloody 1,000 km trip I've EVER been on....and still a half day from home :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.