650 Wee mysteriously not starting - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

650 Wee mysteriously not starting

Hey guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2008 DL650 ABS

After a couple hours of twisties, I re-entered civilization... approached a country intersection stop sign.

As we all do, I pulled in the clutch, shifted to first gear and coasted to a stop.
I then proceeded to let the clutch out and proceed in first gear. The tachometer needle began to climb gently to about 4k then hiccuped and stalled.
I shifted to neutral, pulled in the clutch, hit the starter button.
The starter did its thing, but no start... as though I had run out of gas. I was sure I had about 1/4 of a tank left, but was surprised to look down and see zero fuel bars.

I waddled to the shoulder of the road and called a friend who brought me a gallon of 91 octane, which I gratefully poured into the tank.
I attempted to start the bike several times, expecting it to fire right up, but... nothing. Just cranking and cranking.

That's when I noticed the tachometer needle was stuck at +/- 4k RPM. Turning the key to the off position did nothing to change that. On... crank... nothing... off... wait... repeat. Nothing. Tach still showing 4k RPM.

I left the bike and towed it home in my truck where it now sits as I write this post, pausing at interval to scratch my head in confusion.
The only other thing I can think to mention is that the guy I bought the bike from (about a month ago) had removed the charcoal canister, explaining that it became clogged, so he removed it. The bike is in immaculate shape otherwise, despite having about 28k miles on the odometer.

Any ideas?

Again... thanks in advance. This is my first post. It's great to see that there are so many helpful and enthusiastic Wee riders on here!

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wee.jpg (34.0 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

That is a weird one since it broke after it was going well for a while. I guess you ruled out the gas, but I wonder if it is something electrical. The fact that the tach shows high seems weird. I know when alternators go they do some odd things with the gauges, but I've usually seen them jump up and down (and mostly head down), not stay at a given number. My best guess is something electrical, perhaps compounded with a safety limiter that is making it so you can no longer start the bike "for safety reasons".

09 Suzuki Boulevard C50 "Green Hornet" (sold)
96 Honda Magna 750 (sold)
86 Honda Magna 700 (sold)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Key on...do you have lights?

ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow!
Hunter S. Thompson

post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Agree. I was thinking electrical... which is a bummer, as that whole bag is something I tend to avoid tinkering with myself. Thanks for the reply!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
Key on...do you have lights?
The lights are working.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Moderator++

Garage
The thing cranks so the battery is okay as well as the starter motor. The stuck tach bothers me but no FI says the fueling should be okay too. The thing that usually works with no FI and a cranking starter motor is to open the throttle. The usual problem is flooding and more air helps with that. Make sure the fuel pump is audible though.

Beyond that check for spark in both cylinders and even try a compression check.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

check fuel flow

Although unlikely but maybe you really have run out of gas because the pump has stopped working?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Aaaw, damn. I can`t offer any suggestions on this, but good luck. I just bought mine last month and had similar luck (died riding it home for a different but equally weird problem). My issue worked out, sure hope yours turns out okay also.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

SOLVED!!! I had blown the 10A fuel pump fuse. So nice that it was a simple fix and didn't cost me a million bucks. ))

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
brutalguyracing likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiskopf View Post
SOLVED!!! I had blown the 10A fuel pump fuse. So nice that it was a simple fix and didn't cost me a million bucks. ))

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Question is.....WHY did that fuse blow?
Motor7 likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
computer , efi , starter , tach , tachometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode