LED Headlights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-14-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

LED Headlights

Has anyone ran an LED headlight that works well? I am thinking of putting a set in my '07 but the reviews that I read online are hit and miss at best. If you have ran a set and like them or don't like them please post your thoughts on them and what brand(s) you used. Thanks!

<>< Fish

V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Absolutely. These Evitek led headlights light up street signs on a full Florida sunny day. The lower lights are Mondomoto MM10 Bullet Lights also very nice!

Evitek LED headlamps - H4 9003
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evitek.jpg (69.8 KB, 68 views)
Big B, FishHunt and Seadogdoc like this.

-ZR

Last edited by ZepRider; 04-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Probably the Best

When I did this 2 years ago, I got the ADVMonster R2 and then paid again for the R3 because it gave 3,500 lumens low beam and 4800 lumens high beam. I paid $75 and now they are $45. However, there are lots of LED alternatives compared to then. If I needed to get a replacement, I would still get these. All you do is remove the OEM H4 bulb and put these in. There is nothing else to do except, maybe, re aim the headlights. Bear in mind the critical thing is the position of the LED emitter on the bulb. The light output (other than lumens) is entirely dictated by the reflector inside the bucket. Many replacements misalign the emitter so you get light that goes where it shouldn't. For low beam, the emitter must aim straight up from the proper fore and aft position. OEM bulb does this by putting a metal shield below the low beam filament so the light can only go straight up and the separate high beam filament goes up and down. This bulb has both up and down emitting on high beam, a reason the lumen output is so high. The light is pure white without any bluish tinge. When I Googled H4 LED bulb replacement after 5 screens I still had not seen this product; Google is becoming more and more a paid for selling environment and less a knowledge environment. One of the problems with doing this is you can't return anything. So, you just pick something and then you never know if you picked something good. The engineer/owner of Adv monster was running a blog at ADVrider so it was possible to follow the trials and tribulations of a bunch of his customers. He posted many photos of beam patterns and different installations. Even after I got his products I still exchanged a bunch of emails with him because I did not know what I was doing. I found techs at dealers knew less than I did. Basically, this is kinda like learning about sex in the beginning without the advantage having Mother Nature insisting that you at least have to do it good enough for government work. Good luck.

H4 R3 LED Headlight - ADVmonster
notacop and Emasen like this.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
This is about the biggest thread on LED Headlight Bulbs - H4 LED headlight replacement - Advice & Suggestions? Pitfalls?

2008 DL650 BumbleBee Edition

!!!BOYCOTT SV RACING!!!
post #5 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I haven't added anything to that big thread posted by WeeBee but I did not have good luck with the Evitek LED headlights. They scattered the beam quite a lot and the high beam wasn't any different than the high. I'd suggest finding an Eastern Beaver h4 dual headlight relay system and some nice halogen bulbs.

2011 DL650
post #6 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I haven't added anything to that big thread posted by WeeBee but I did not have good luck with the Evitek LED headlights. They scattered the beam quite a lot and the high beam wasn't any different than the high. I'd suggest finding an Eastern Beaver h4 dual headlight relay system and some nice halogen bulbs.
Sorry the Evitek's didn't pan out for you. I never bought them because I installed the Eastern Beaver Relay kit and was happy with the increased light output that gave me.

2008 DL650 BumbleBee Edition

!!!BOYCOTT SV RACING!!!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Administrator

The Eviteks get better reviews than not..........

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #8 of 20 Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you kindly for all the input!

<>< Fish

V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome - Mark Twain
post #9 of 20 Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't want led bulbs with fan cooling if ride on dirt a lot, doubt the fans will last long.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepRider View Post
Absolutely. These Evitek led headlights light up street signs on a full Florida sunny day. The lower lights are Mondomoto MM10 Bullet Lights also very nice!

Evitek LED headlamps - H4 9003
While I like the Evitek lights ok, they throw light around everywhere - that's why they light up signs seemingly everywhere. They are in fact a glare hazard to oncoming traffic. As a result they are hard to align since they have no distinct pattern - I finally just had to go to a dark lot at night and adjust where the main pool of light was head of the bike. When installed they were way too high making alignment a necessity.
There is almost no difference between high and low beams which I find annoying.
Likely I will switch to HID which have always served me well - you just have to find the hybrids that have a halogen high beam and a circuit to keep the HID energized on high beam so you don't get the momentary darkness as they flicker in and out.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode