spongy front brake lever - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By johno_SLC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

spongy front brake lever

Took my Wee to local mechanic to install extended stainless steel brake line for handlebar risers. Before dropping off, the brake level was engaging very early.

When I picked it up, it was waaay soft. Rode it home and used Velcro to hold the level to the grip for 18 hours. The next morning it seemed to do the trick. But it returned to its spongy form. I use two fingers to brake. In its current soft form, the brakes engage about half way through the level action but do not apply effective stopping until the level is touching my remaining two fingers.

I returned to the shop and talked to the mechanic. He noticed they were soft and brought it to the owner's attention. In his experience with Suzukis, he noted that after the first brake fluid change, all Suzukis have a much softer feel. They dialed it to 1 and even bled the lines 3 times (upon further questioning about that, three different locations and times NOT all locations 3 times). The mechanic said they topped off the brake fluid.

It is not acceptable to me to have to use all four fingers to brake because I have to pull the level almost all the way to the grip to get full stopping power.

I've read several threads about this on Stromtrooper. I'm left to think of two things. One: they didn't push the brake calipers all the way back in off the rotor. Two: air in the ABS actuator. (Hoping not as it sounds like I'd have to pay for trip to Suzuki dealer). When I asked if the bled from ABS, the mechanic said they did.

Any other ideas?

Derek
Dallas, TX
2011 Wee (Pearl White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like you need a different mechanic. If changing the lines made it worse than before then there is definitely still air in the system.

I am not experienced with bleeding the ABS unit but apparently it needs to be actuated while bleeding the system to get the air out of the unit. Most likely the current shop did not do that or not properly.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I changed the fluid and lines on my Wee for the first time recently. Just as firm now as before. Send like it's be suspicious about this mechanic. You might just try bleeding the brakes yourself, it's not rocket science.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Spec likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 PM
$tromtrooper

Air bubbles rise. The air is way up in the hoses and at the master cylinder. It needs to be bled at the top, not at the bottom at the caliper.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

hmm...makes me think I need to bleed mine now

so non-abs is a standard bleed?

LONG BEACH CALI
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 10:28 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
hmm...makes me think I need to bleed mine now

so non-abs is a standard bleed?
Actually so is ABS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode