StromTrooper banner

Yet another question on brakes....

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gert 
#1 ·
It's getting to that point where the old front brakes are worn down to their last days, and I'm looking to replace them.

Living in Canuckistania, the options I can find are limited.

There's the obvious choice of EBC
https://fortnine.ca/en/ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads
which would come out to ~100$CAD for the front set

but then there's also this set
https://www.amazon.ca/Semi-metallic...523&sr=1-4&keywords=vstrom+650+brake+pads+ebc

which seems to be ~30$cad for all 6....?

I'm wary of this seemingly no-name brand, as I can't find any information, and it seems much too good to be true.

Anyone used a similar brake pad, or have any recommendations for better/cheaper source?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used all sorts of no-name brake pads, and never had a problem. Your mileage may vary. The latest ones are Sixity organic, they were super cheap and have 16k on them with tons of life left.

Just make sure you're using the right type for your bike - I believe the ABS ones are different from non-ABS.

#5 ·
On my K6 Wee I have Goldfren S3 front and rear, which delivers a smooth but soft brake feel - brake lever travel almost to handlebar before front wheel locks up without the rear wheel lifting. On my K5 Wee, I have SBS on front and rear, which is totally the opposite to the K6 in braking performance. The brakes response is immediate - no gentle take-up first. So much so that on the K5, if the front brake is pulled with full force (aka emergency stop), I can do a front wheel stop with the back wheel lifting an inch or two in the air. Not the ideal for a panic stop, wet conditions or for off-road. Maybe if the was ABS then it would be another ball game.
I personally have not tried the EBCs, but from what I have read, the EBC appears to be similar to the SBS in braking performance. For what its worth, the SBS performed well on the super bikes that I have ridden.

#7 ·
I used the brake pads recommended on the SBS website SBS which SBS lists Front 704 HS and 705 HS with Rear as 657 LS.

As I previously indictated, the SBS front pads appear to be similar in braking properties to the EBC HH being discussed in #1.
Brake pad performance is subjective and depends on the type of riding a person does. Some riders are comfortable with a specific brand to suit their style of riding, while others are looking for that wow factor, which only comes from a process of elimination / trying different brands and combinations yourself.

There are numerous threads on the various brake pads and the wear to the brake disk itself by using a certain type of brake pad compound.

Maybe someone who has tried a few brands can offer their experience on the subject and tell of their findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.