New Strommer - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default New Strommer

Well, after sitting on the fence for 8+ months - (it was getting painful up there - I finally got off the fence and bought a 2009 DL650 - silver/grey.

I did much research on the Strom, in that time, including pricing. If there are any others out there sitting on the fence, now is the time to buy. All stock that arrives at dealers after January 26th, 2009 has an MSRP of $7499. I got the dealer invoice of pre- 01-26-09 shipped units - from Cyclebuy.com. Here is what they provided:

MSRP: $6999
Dealer Cost: $6085 includes $275 freight charge from Mfr. to dealer
Assembly Cost: $50 (this varies by dealer.)
Ready to Sell Cost: $6135
Dealer Holdback: 3% of list price paid to dealer in February for units sold between July 1st and December 31st - and in September of units sold between January 1st and June 30th.

Cyclebuy.com said they will have the figures on the units shipped after January 26th, 2009 sometime in a week or so.

I bought from ProCaliber Sports in Vancouver, WA. I paid $6723 out the door - including Oregon title and licensure for 4 years. I figure I got a good deal, although there have been better deals there in the last month or so... I think they would not go lower because of the holdback - they have to wait until September to get there 3% back from Suzuki... I did not realize that ProCaliber is owned by Dick Hannah dealerships - there are HUGE! They must have 3000 bikes on their showroom floor! They insisted on horsetrading, which I have never done when buying a bike - it was a little stressful, but I rode away generally happy...and,

What a ride!! It was very cold - about 38 degrees ... (by the way, I welcome any effective glove or mitten solutions...) I must say what many others have said - there is one word to describe the Strom - smooooooooth....

I have about 30 miles on now, and here are my early riding impressions:

- have I mentioned smooooooth?
- buffeting - what buffeting? I spent some time today adjusting the windshield - best in lowest position - some helmet noise, but minimal
- light, "flickable" as some say... coming off a VTX 1800, Wee is much lighter and much more maneuverable...tho I am still acclimating to the standard riding position
- quick... hard to keep the revs below 5000 rpm the manual calls for for 500 mile break-in...(speaking of break-in - the 09's are not scheduled for valve adjustment until 14500 miles.)

Now, time for farkling- btw, am I the only Strommer who thinks the word "farkle" is weird?? I looked it up in my computer dictionary and the word "farkleberry" came up... It reminds my of Farfel - the dog in the old Nestles commercials... it is also a dice game..

I am looking for luggage, and leaning toward cheap to start with, perhaps JC Whitney... I would like some feedback on the large vs. medium JCW trunk... the large looks to me to be a bit outsized for the Wee...also, has anyone put a real helmet lock on the Wee? Coming from Honda, I am used to one built-in... ( a real one, not the joke of a strap that goes under the seat...)

For all those still fence-sitting, resistance is futile.... you WILL be assimilated... Any folks want to get together for rides in Portland and environs, let me know..

--JB1950
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Welcome

Hey Jb - welcome to the club man... you made a wise decision
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats!!!!! Welcome to the sewing maching riders, or collective.
You'll love it. We all do! That sounds like a good deal. I like the Bestom case a little better than the JC wipme. but both seem to be pretty equal. Enjoy your new ride, be safe!!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default New Strommer

Hello...

What model number is your Bestem case? I have seen the 929, which I think is 45 liters... pretty big... Does it have a backrest? Spouse will not ride without one...did you get it from Bestem Company directly?

Thanks for your help...

JB1950
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hey JB

I am right there with you and couldn't agree more with what you said. After getting the run around on an '07 model (dealer only wanted to come off $150 off the MSRP.) here in NC, I rode home on my new '09 Saturday. The wife says I have to wait on the farkle though . Still I am enjoying putting the miles on my new wee.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

SO you got one w/o ABS I see by the price =) | I have been admiring from afar on the weestrom purchase...now I am in the process of putting the $$$ away to pay for one... hard enough having to wait but I will love it when I get it.. I know it already!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

For a helmet lock, I'd recommend the Helmet Guardian. It's a metal strip that fits behind the license plate and has two helmet locks.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hey we got a silver club going do a quick search and it will come right up....
Silver strom #1
f-it you get 2 chances.....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

For hand warmth for the temps you mention, get the OEM handgaurds (stock on the DL1000, will fit the 650) and a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. My Gerbing gloves work well in above freezing temps, but once I'm under about 35F for long periods, my thumbs get pretty cold. Don't know why just the thumbs, but...

Handguards will help divert the wind to give the gloves, any gloves, a fighting chance.

I've also ridden with heavy chopper mittens (and they ain't all built the same, there are light ones and heavy ones that are much warmer) and these help as well. Kind of clumsy and probably not for everyone. I'm temped to buy a pair of the Aerostich insulated triple digit overgloves, sized to go over another set of gloves. Worst case scenerio for me, an authentic pair of Hippo Hands specific to the VStrom with handguards.
[I][COLOR="Red"]"With the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit happiness comes responsibility, to yourself and others. With responsibility comes accountability. Without responsibility, without accountability, we cannot and will not be a free and civilized society."[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR="Navy"]-Me, Steve T.[/COLOR]
Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats!!
[URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=35638&page=3"]Strom Squadron Member #5[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement