StromTrooper banner

Hand Guards

8K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  GearheadS 
#1 ·
Hello all. I want to purchase hand guards but I think my Wee is missing something. It didn't have any when I bought it but it might have when it was new but I don't know what I need. the ends of the bars just look... wrong. When looking at them on ebay I cant tell how they attach at the ends of the bars. Pictures of my bars here..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to tell from your pic...it's resized a bit small. But it looks like someone stuffed something in the end of the handlebar. Either way you will need to open up the end of the handlebar to accept the attachment spreader bolt.

What kind of guards are you getting...oem or real one's with a aluminium bar for protection?

#4 ·
If you need to undo the bolts at the ends of the handlebar, you face a trap that has claimed many. As you loosen the bolt, pause occasionally to tug on the bolt. If you simply undo the bolt until it detaches from the mechanism inside, that mechanism slides down to the midpoint of the bar. Do it right, and you will pull out all the pieces; do it wrong and you will have a puzzle, which most people solve by buying the pieces that slid out of reach.

I haven't tried this, but others have, and many of them waste time and money.

Good luck. I have handguards on my 650, and I like them.
Keith

#5 ·
Undo the screw a few turns then give the end of the screwdriver a tap with a hammer, this will unseat the nut and make things come out easier.

Just like the gooseneck on a pushbike.

#8 ·
Ok thank you to everyone. I was looking at pictures of other bikes this morning and figured it might be the weights. Is the end with the tiny hole (right side) what it normally looks like and the left one is missing all the parts?

This all started when I started looking around and everyone has these cool hand guards then I started looking at them and thought "how do they go on?" then I went out and looked at my wee and thought "wtf is wrong with my bars?" and it continued to spiral out of control from there. I should have been MUCH more observant when I bought the bike but I fell in love so fast it was over as soon as I took a test ride.

So if I go to a Suzuki parts counter will I be able to get all the parts necessary to attach new weights? I found a parts breakdown this morning before work I will see if I can find it again and make more sense of things than I could at 5am this morning.

I am going to go out for as long as I can stand the cold and see if I can get that piece out of the right side.

On the bright side I got her painted, put back together and got my new bags on this weekend. It looks super cool I am hoping the weekend is warm enough to take a ride! Thank you so much everyone.

#9 · (Edited)
"So if I go to a Suzuki parts counter will I be able to get all the parts necessary to attach new weights? I found a parts breakdown this morning before work I will see if I can find it again and make more sense of things than I could at 5am this morning."

If you want something that will block the wind, the OEM handguards will work, but not if you want something to really protect the levers, then you need something that has metal in the handguards.
A good source for the OEM handguards or anything else OEM is Oneida Suzuki, https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/dl650-2012-oem-replacement-parts/
Handguards, $49 plus shipping http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/hand-guard-set-dl650-2004-06.html

Mark

#10 ·
Thank you mpom. I will check it out. I want OEM bar weights back on the bike but I would not be against aftermarket handguards for a good price. I found a parts breakdown I hope I can make it look better than my original pictures.

So I went out and looked at the right side and what I thought was metal is actually rubber it looks like #4 in the attached picture. So it looks like that is a rubber plug with a tube in the middle. as the screw tightens it spreads the rubber out holding it in the bar end but maybe not. It makes sense why so many people might drop that nut inside when pulling these apart.

Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I use Tusk Handguards on my Wee. Less money than Barkbusters and very strong ( Barkbusters are excellent ) and come in colours.

Layered to the nines heading to the east coast. Glad I had the hand guards for warmth. Was chilly on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence. Tusks are fiddly to get even.

#13 ·
Aftermarket handguards willl be losing the OEM bar weights.
So aftermarket handguards will come with their own weights?? This solves everything if that's the case..

Macdoc!!! that is a beautiful bike! I love the white ones. I noticed how little protection there is on this bike my hands got cold instantly. I will check out Tusk as well. I have seen adds for their bags, I did not know they made the handguards as well. Thank you for the input as well!

#14 ·
So aftermarket handguards will come with their own weights?? This solves everything if that's the case..

Macdoc!!! that is a beautiful bike! I love the white ones. I noticed how little protection there is on this bike my hands got cold instantly. I will check out Tusk as well. I have seen adds for their bags, I did not know they made the handguards as well. Thank you for the input as well!

If you end up wanting OEM weights, I will be selling mine soon (month or two) to install Tusks or BarkBusters. Happy to pass 'em along for some travel cash. PM me if you're interested (or anyone else). Minor scratches where, um, the ground startlingly rose up to kiss them. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Stromstone, if you are just looking for warmth, go for the OEM Suzuki DL1000 handguards. I think they are a bit larger than bark busters and they retain the bar end weights which help dampen vibration in the handlebars. The OEM guards are easy to remove in warm weather when you may want more air on your hands. You will need the guards, the bar weights with the screw, nut and rubber sleeve, and the lever pivot screws with the hex top to hold the guards. Study the drawings at one of the sites that sells OEM parts like Bike Bandit or Oneida. The guards are on EBay too.

#17 ·
OEM provide zero protection to the hand controls in a fall. I put a set of no-names off fleaby on my bike. Mine were in the $30's shipped, but that seller is out of stock....they look like these:
Black 7/8" Dirt Bike MX Dirtbike ATV Motorcycle Brush Bar Hand Guards Handguard | eBay

This type of armored handguard also provide a significant amount of weight to the end of the bars, but I did not weigh them in comparison to the oem weights.

#18 ·
Macdoc!!! that is a beautiful bike! I love the white ones
I like it too and even better.. got it for a steal .....2010 with ABS and luggage and perfectly maintained by a mechanical engineer from the UK originally....a real fiddler....even the the handle bar clamps had chrome bolt covers...

Racetech front springs....a few other farkles ...$2200!!!!. Reason....he could not sell as idjits around here are afraid of mileage...this had 93,000 km on it and ran smoother than the one with 56k I had earlier but you can't convince those that think a Strom is over the hill with 30k on it....for me...barely broken in.

It will migrate to Australia with me.

#21 ·
Not intending to hijack the thread, which city in Aus are you heading to?
My partner lives and works in Cairns - was there 6 months this year and going for 3 months again at end of January ....move there no later than 2020 ..ideally 2018
This is my 5th year spending at least 3 month there and the first year 6 months

#22 ·
I can not thank everyone enough, you have helped me so much with this. I will look around at different types and may post back here inquiring about purchasing somebody's used weights. I stopped at a Suzuki dealership/ service shop today and asked about a set and they want $50 bucks for a set of oem .. yikes. I might as well go with aftermarket if I would have that much in the weights alone. I am still going to look at the Tusk hand guards.

Macdoc that is the deal I had hoped to find but didn't. That's a steal! Mine was just purchased for $3500 with only 11k on the clock. It had some cosmetic damage to the plastic but runs like a dream. I repaired the plastic and repainted getting it put back together last week. I am very happy with the way it turned out! I need to put up some pictures soon.

Thank you again everyone!

#30 ·
I can not thank everyone enough, you have helped me so much with this. I will look around at different types and may post back here inquiring about purchasing somebody's used weights. I stopped at a Suzuki dealership/ service shop today and asked about a set and they want $50 bucks for a set of oem .. yikes. ...
Thank you again everyone!
It seem like you can't get the OEM's for less than that. It's $50 + shipping or $50 + tax at the dealer or $59 and free shipping on Amazon.
I went the Amazon way.

#23 ·
I installed the OEM guards recently on my XT, they are honestly well made and worth the money for what likely 90% of us want and need them for. They are fabulous for blocking rain/cold air/bugs........I try not to drop my bike, and if I do and they break, I will just order up some more. ;) I am sure there are numerous OEM bar ends weights out there to be found, when you get enough posts, you should put up a "wanted" thread in the marketplace.

#24 ·
Big B, I will do that. There are at least a dozen things I want right now for this bike/ safety gear and for that I am thankful its December. Many months until warmer weather and I can kind of plan out what I need now and what can wait a season. This is near the top of my list along with safer riding gear... and a new seat... a skid plate would be nice... crap.

Thank you for your input!

#33 ·
I have the eBay ones sitting in my garage shelf which fit perfectly on my XT, although the stock levers are too long and must either be cut down or replaced with shorty levers. Can't use the OEM bar ends though, but the hand guards are damn good quality for the coin. Send me a PM if you're interested, I won't be mounting them back on.

#34 ·
Jeremy, the oem one's are much larger than the off road type and do offer more wind protection. I run Oxford heated grips, so the size of the protector is a bit less important. I will say if the sun is hiding, and it's at or below 32 or Zed for you Canucks, on a long highway ride my hands will still get cold in spots, so I have to shift them around to make contact with the heated grip. Unlike some of the riders here, I'm a cold wuss and prefer to hang up my keys when it's <zero.

#35 ·
Thanks guys. Big B, I PM'd you ;) Motor7, did you notice any difference in vibration of the bars?

I don't ride super cold either. On my 87 Venture, I'd ride down to 32F. I have a 40 minute commute to work, about 25 miles, half interstate, so it's long enough to get cold. The Venture has full touring fairing of course, and I have heated grips on it. It also gave me leg protection and even a little heat. I only bought the Strom in the Spring, so this is my first winter with it. I have heated grips coming for it, as well as a Vista Cruise, and want to fit some wind protection as well. That is my main concern and I was all set to order the Suzuki guards, but then I started thinking (too much, always dangerous)...maybe I should get the structural protection as well, if I can get semi-comparable wind protection.

Do any of you have dimensions for the Suzuki guards?

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.