StromTrooper banner

Removing tank - how empty?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TheCondor 
#1 ·
When you pull the fuel line, are you opening the bottom of the tank? or just opening the short piece of hose coming out of the tank?

Another way to ask it ... is 1 gallon coming out? or 6" of fuel line coming out?

Scott

#4 ·
When the pump is not running, no fuel comes out of the line that isn't already inside it. A few drops is about it.

#5 ·
As GW said, not much comes out. The weight of what you have in the tank makes it awkward.
I used to have a 10 gallon tank on my sidecar rig, I had to pull the tank on occasion full. bloody heavy!
When I feel forced to pull the tank on the Wee i go ride for a couple hundred miles first!
Much mo bettah!

#6 ·
I would simply go on a long ride to get some of the gas out.

#7 ·
A couple of drops may come out of that hose. I wish it would flow freely, it would make the tank easier to drain. I have never had a reason to pull any fuel tank when it was near empty. It seems I always need to remove them when they are nearly full for some reason. :frown2:

#9 ·
It is much easier to reinstall a nearly empty tank, especially for the first time.

Tip...when you put the tank back on after your work, leave it up on the strut with everything connected. See if it'll start, no red fault light, no oil or gas leaks where ever you worked. Much easier to fix stuff at this point than after you've got everything bolted back on.

#11 · (Edited)
I just filled my tank and needed to pull it to test my stator. Not much leaked out when I disconnected the fuel line, but l siphoned the gas into a 5 gallon can so it was much easier to handle. Now to find my charging problem.
:thumbup:That's what I do. I use a siphon with a squeeze bulb left over from my Kerosun kerosene heaters. I works great.
As I got older I learned to work smarter not harder.:wink2:

#12 ·
Thanks for the help.

I managed to time it fairly perfect. I got 3/4 of a gallon on my way to work (40 mile round trip) and got home flashing ... all is well.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.