StromTrooper banner

Rear sprocket install

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  frankintx 
#1 ·
I am so far unable to install the rear sprocket. Should it not sit against the rim? When I push it on the rubber mounts it does not seem to seat. I am left with a gap between the sprocket and rim. It seems it needs to go in another quarter inch or so, but tapping on it with a rubber mallet does not help. The saga continues.

#2 ·
To help with the sprocket I put a little chain lube on the rubber dampers and it slid on better. Putting the axle rod back took about 3 minutes so I do not understand why anyone would have trouble with that unless I installed something incorrectly. On the inside of the sprocket there is a collar/mounting drum retainer.

Before I go riding off I would like to know if this sprocket mounting drum retainer goes in with the tapered side facing the middle of rim? That, I believe is how I put it back. The chain tightened up a little and there seems to be a little more rolling resistance when I spin the wheel. The alignment of the chain seems ok.

#3 ·
The sprocket carrier spacer can be put in backwards and cause a problem. It is on the right in this pic. The smaller diameter top goes toward the wheel and the larger diameter bottom goes toward the sprocket. It's also good to use 36lb-ft of torque on the nuts that hold the sprocket on. The torque listed in the manual is too high. The axle and nut like to gall together. Apply anti seize to the threads and use 58lb-ft of torque to make up for the lubrication effect. Those two steps work every time and eliminate the problems with broken studs and galled axle nuts that happen all too often when sticking to the instructions in the manual.

#4 ·
I am not following the above explanation. I have that collar with the large side against the swing arm and the smaller side against the sprocket. Page 7-36 (1).

As far as the other one (on the right) that I was referring to it seems to fit best with the tapered side towards the middle of the wheel. On page 7-36 it looks like (5) has the tapered end towards the center of the wheel. Page 7-42 also seems to confirm this. So I believe I have re-installed it correctly.

#5 ·
I am not following the above explanation. I have that collar with the large side against the swing arm and the smaller side against the sprocket. Page 7-36 (1).
You are talking about the spacer on the left. I was talking about the one on the right as I specifically mentioned in the text. The one on the left only fits one way, the way you have it. The large end is too big to get through the seal.

As far as the other one (on the right) that I was referring to it seems to fit best with the tapered side towards the middle of the wheel. On page 7-36 it looks like (5) has the tapered end towards the center of the wheel. Page 7-42 also seems to confirm this. So I believe I have re-installed it correctly.
That is the correct orientation.

#6 ·
Thank you for your replies. Now if I could just get the chain right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.