Rear case + backrest, Givi vs JC Whitney - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Rear case + backrest, Givi vs JC Whitney

I want to add a rear case + backrest on my DL650. (Wifey wants to feel a little more secure + backrest, and we need to haul some small stuff). The case can be something about 30-35 liter capacity- We don't haul a lot of stuff typically. The two choices seem to be either the Givi E30 or the JC Whitney mid size.

I have a question about the cases' backrests' cush factor. I see the JCW comes with one, but the Givi is another $45 for the backrest. I've searched the forums and found comments on both sides of the aisle for the JCW backrest. I couldn't really find anything on the Givi backrest.

Does anyone have some experience with the backrests on these two cases, and maybe comments in general about the two? And also, if you'd have other rear case suggestions, I'd appreciate any comments on those as well.

Thanks in advance!
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes since a 1973 Arctic Cat Climber; Most were dirtbikes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM
$tromtrooper
Super Trooper!

One comment, there is not a lot of extra room on a Strom as far as front to back seating. It is the only measurement that the Strom chassis is not roomy. I have a top box and Givi backrest like you describe and there's not enough room for the backrest unless the top box is moved back, which can be done if you want by adding spacers or a new rack by that company in Carson City NV, I forget the name. When I saw how the setup worked, I didn't bother.

So before you drill 2 holes in your top box, duct tape the backrest in place and see if it works for your passenger.

Good luck with your backrest/top box.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have the large JCW box, and the backrest on it is not at all comfy. Almost hard plastic.

Plus, as Cory mentioned, the room gets really tight with a box+backrest on. I ended up taking the backrest off the box, and the wife just uses the box as a backrest if she needs it. She wears a jacket with back armor/padding anyhow, so it isn't uncomfortable at all for her - she prefers it over having the backrest on for the extra room it gives.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default No backrest pad necessary

I have a Givi E450 without the backrest pad . . . wife says its plenty comfortable without it.

2004 DL650 V-Strom (blue, of course)
2004 Honda CRF230F (plated)
1970 Hodaka Ace 100A
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt ( VMX#458 ) [/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I use the JC med. box. The backrest is totally hard, so I gorilla glued a gel type computer mouse wrist rest to it and the wife loves it.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the replies with good input. What's the thoughts on the JCW vs Givi- "about the same for less $$", or "you get what you pay for"?

I'm leaning towards the Givi so I can add the rear light if I want. There's a LOT of grandmas driving around in my town, and more brakelight power = better. (Nothing against grandmas, of course, I just don't want to mowed over by a Buick.)
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes since a 1973 Arctic Cat Climber; Most were dirtbikes.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I used to hate top cases, but decided to try one for commuting and my wife wanted a backrest so no one would "fly off the back". I bought the JC Whitney large case for $47.99 in April. I thought the quality seemed really excellent for the price. But right after it shipped, I visited the Luggage thread, page 5 and saw the Givi E33:

Luggage pictures thread

I immediately ordered one and returned the JC Whitney when it arrived. The Givi cost $95 and the backrest cost $36 more. It is small, but can hold a surprising amount of stuff including our 2 helmets. It will not hold 2 full face helmets though.

I switched for the looks of the case on the bike and and I am extremely happy with this purchase. Extremely useful for commuting, shopping and even weekend trips if you pack light.
2007 DL650 with Givi windscreen, Madstad, Givi E33 topcase, GIPro, Symtecs under Progrips 714's, Sargent seat, Richland Rick fork brace, RacerATB corrected gauge face, Stebel Black Max, Aprilia mirrors, Suzuki Hand Guards, Battle Wings, Shermworks Open Road Stand.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 AM
$tromtrooper

Smile JC Whitney Large trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
I want to add a rear case + backrest on my DL650. (Wifey wants to feel a little more secure + backrest,). The two choices seem to be either the Givi E30 or the JC Whitney mid size.

backrests' cush factor. I see the JCW comes with one, but the Givi is another $45 for the backrest.

Thanks in advance!
I bought the JC Whitney LARGE Trunk. The "Backrest" looks good, but is probably not very compfy. It's made of the same material as the trunk, actually came from one mold. You probably could come up with a cushion for it. Mounting took a little McGyver thinking and a little over an hour. I'm happy with it's function. Others have painted over the ugly orange strip, I'll do the same one day.
Past few rain storms have not penetrated the inside either.
FB MEMBER #133 - 2008 Wee
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default 2cents

I got the JC Whitney case (large) and have to say it works just fine for the price. Girlfriend rode it a few times and said the backrest was ok comfort wise. Probably not the best for a long trip, but a passenger should wear armor anyway, right?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've got the JCW large trunk, and am very happy with it, the back rest is a hard rubber, so not much as far as padding goes, but does give the passenger some back support, and as for room, I mounted mine back a little further than most I see on here, I removed the rubber mat from the stock luggage rack and used the holes that the rubber piece uses to mount it, 4 of themounting plates holes lined up perfect with the rack/mat holes, looks to be about 1 1/2 or 2" further back than most I see on here, the wife loves it.

As for quality, I think it is an super deal for the money....I've had one for about 3 years now (previously had it on my Former bike, a Moto Guzzi Breva) and have had no trouble with it at all.

Keep in mind I'm a Cheap SOB, so I like good deals....it's big enough for a full face helmet, and more gear, and keeps my stuff dry...which is all I need form it.
2006 Marshin MRF230 (4-Sale)
2005 Honda CRF250X
1983 Honda CX650 Custom
1984 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement