cheap oil filter protection - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Maybe you could drill several small holes in the PVC cap if you are worried.
2000 4X4 Rancher ( his )
2000 4X4 Rancher ( hers )
1991 XL250R ( hers )
1983 XR250L ( his )
1974 CB360 ( retired )
All from the same people who
brought to you "PEARL HARBOR"

Patriot Guard Rider
AMA Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I found the filter cover from jc whitney if anyone is interested, I just got a catalog in the mail and its still there. The part # is mm814694 but it doesnt exist on there web site. I found the manufactures site http://cool-collar.com/ I may order one later when I get a few extra bucks. I had one years ago on a truck and liked it. I see it as an easy way to help protect the filter not cool it, but paint it black and it would look nice. The cool collar site sells them. Here is a link on the cooling effects, the last one is on a harley. http://cool-collar.com/testing.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mike View Post
I found the filter cover from jc whitney if anyone is interested, I just got a catalog in the mail and its still there. The part # is mm814694 but it doesnt exist on there web site. I found the manufactures site http://cool-collar.com/ I may order one later when I get a few extra bucks. I had one years ago on a truck and liked it. I see it as an easy way to help protect the filter not cool it, but paint it black and it would look nice. The cool collar site sells them. Here is a link on the cooling effects, the last one is on a harley. http://cool-collar.com/testing.htm
Now let's see some test results run by someone other than the company that makes the device.

Call me skeptical!

I think I'll drop a line to Motorcycle Consumer News....maybe they will run a test on this thing.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Question thats fine, but

I think that protects only part of the filter anyway. What about the most vunerable part, the part right out the front, pointing straight forward. That's the part I worried about the most.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Black k4 Wee, Givi shield, OEM handguards, Givi E21's and E36NJ top, el-cheapo driving lights, advance auto fuse block/relay, abs storage tube, homemade dash/GPS mount, beaded seat cover
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I wonder if you can do a relocation kit like you can buy for cars, just screw the adaptor on and mount the filter in another spot. Its not in a great location without some shield around it. I also think the oil cooler is in a bad spot right behind the hot exhaust pipe air blowing right into it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default cooler relocation

Here is a forum on relocating the cooler

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ghlight=cooler

Not much in the way of positve feedback on that although I agree that they could be in a better place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Black k4 Wee, Givi shield, OEM handguards, Givi E21's and E36NJ top, el-cheapo driving lights, advance auto fuse block/relay, abs storage tube, homemade dash/GPS mount, beaded seat cover
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Living the Stereotype

You can get a chrome oil filter cover for Harley's.

It's a thing of beauty.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default chrome???

Part of what I love about my Wee is the total lack of chrome. Way to hard to keep clean, if you ride your motorcycle instead of look at it. LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Here's another idea. I bought a foam (rubbery not styrofoam) beer can cooler from the Dollar Store and it fit perfectly over the filter with a little WD40. Glued on a piece of thin sheet metal cut to fit the bottom of the cooler (now the front end on the protector) for added protection and spray painted the whole thing black. It's been on for 4 years and 35,000km with no problem at all. The filter looks brand new when it comes time for a change.

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

A picture would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement