Givi E450 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Givi E450

Looking to start the farkling process on my 04 Wee with a Givi E450 Simply top case in flat black. Twistedthrottle adds the following language in its description of this case:

"Note that this topcase features the Givi Monolock design, which means it must be used with a special fitting plate (included) designed to fit onto flat tubular-style topracks. Fitting to other types of luggage racks may require custom fabrication and a trip to the hardware store. This case will not fit Givi Monokey racks (Wingrack or Monorack) without the use of another replacement adapter plate (not included). Will not fit most Givi E-series topracks."

Has anyone here had any experience with the "special fitting plate (included)" on the Wee rack? Will it bolt right on or require "custom fabrication and a trip to the hardware store" ?

Thanks for your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The above pictured case is the Givi E470, monolock. All monolock cases come with their own universal mounting plate. It's not really a big deal to mount. I pulled off the rubber from the OEM rack and used the included hardware to attach the mounting plate. I use the same mounting plates on both of my supermotos and both of my Kymco scoots.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Givi mount

I was 20 miles away from home and had no problem installing the Givi mount in the shop's parking lot. It bolts right up to the stock luggage rack. I rode home with my new case on the back. You'll need the hex wrenches to take the factory rack off the bike. You remove the rubber mat, bolt on the U brackets. Bolt the mount to the U brackets. It takes about 45 minutes. Not bad really.

Last edited by Monterey10; 08-16-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks for the replies, guys. That long caveat in the product description was causing some concern. Glad to know its not an issue on the Wee.

Now I just have to decide whether to get a pasenger backrest with it. I will probably start without one. I assume it can be added later if wanted.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You can add the backrest later. You just have to drill two holes for it in the case.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw741 View Post
Now I just have to decide whether to get a pasenger backrest with it. I will probably start without one. I assume it can be added later if wanted.
My wife, whose jacket has a pretty substantial back pad that extends down to her tail-bone, thinks my top case is fine without a backrest. My younger son, whose coat has almost no back pad, finds it uncomfortable.

Search the forums - my earlier hunt found mostly negative comments about the GIVI backrest, so I've given it a pass for now.

Mike
'03 BMW F650GS (wife's)
'92 Honda XR250L
'86 Honda VT500c (gone)
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Ya, I've seen some of the negative comments on the backrest too and thats why I have pretty much decided to try it "naked" first.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

I also have a E450 on the back of my wee. Wife finds it very comfortable without the backrest. More comfortable, it would be dangerous cause she would fall asleep! The fact that there is no cushion on it also leaves more room for installation on the stock rack.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

spidrgr, do 2 full face helmets fit pretty easily into the E450? Ours are L & M, so I don't expect that it would be a problem but since you've got one I thought I'd just ask.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw741 View Post
spidrgr, do 2 full face helmets fit pretty easily into the E450? Ours are L & M, so I don't expect that it would be a problem but since you've got one I thought I'd just ask.
FYI, I can get 2 XL Scorpion EX400's in my Givi E450 and the mounting was a piece of cake. GF did not need the back rest and if she did, she would have made it known.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement