17-Tooth Sprocket, who has tried one? - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
$tromtrooper

I'm going to chime in on this thread, my vast experience of 16 hours of Wee ownership notwithstanding. So far the Wee is pretty much what I expected, which makes me a good shopper However, it's geared too tall for my tastes. The previous owner installed a 17T main (17/47). Unfortunately, too much of my "riding" is little more than a balancing act between cars without the gyroscopic benefit of forward motion. In other words, I get stuck in bumper to bumper commuter traffic and have to "ride" really slow.

So I'm seriously contemplating getting a stock 15T front sprocket for better tractability. I may regret it on the 500-mile weekends, but I have little interest in cruising faster than 75 MPH anyway. It looks like there's plenty of rear axle adjustability backwards on the swingarm, so hopefully I won't have to mess with the chain.

I haven't heard any mention of a rear sprocket bigger than 47. Is there just no such thing or a good reason for there not be such a thing?

Cheers,
Neil
P.S. The receipt for the chain says 120 links...I didn't count 'em.
May I learn from others' mistakes and not return the favor

Last edited by Boondocker; 09-20-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 04:27 PM
$tromtrooper

You might want to try a 16 first. I can putt along at practically a standstill on mine with the 16, and it's a lot better on the highway. In traffic with the 15 you will be shifting too often.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStrom View Post
You might want to try a 16 first. I can putt along at practically a standstill on mine with the 16, and it's a lot better on the highway. In traffic with the 15 you will be shifting too often.
Since I started with a 17T, I have no frame of reference to compare to stock. The upside of installing a 16 is that there's less of a chain adjustment to cope with, so maybe it's an easier first step. Worst case, I get full set and become an expert sprocket swapper.
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré - makes the DL redundant
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Since I started with a 17T, I have no frame of reference to compare to stock. The upside of installing a 16 is that there's less of a chain adjustment to cope with, so maybe it's an easier first step. Worst case, I get full set and become an expert sprocket swapper.
Slow speed, little difference -> High speed lots of difference, if you move below 20mph you can't tell which is which, engine revs are so low at this kind of speed that you have to be careful with throttle and clutch not to stall it.
Ninja250
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I understand that the taller front sprocket will drop the rpm's for highway use but I just made a 85 mph (indicated) 2 hour run and I still got 48 mpg. If the rpm's doesn't hurt this motor, why change? I tried a taller countershaft sprocket on my KLR and I hated it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanlt View Post
If the rpm's doesn't hurt this motor, why change?
Less noise, real use of engine torque and flywheel effect, mind serenity. Why howl when you can whisper?
Ninja250
Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 PM
$tromtrooper

To follow up - after riding with the 16T for several weeks, I still feel it's too tall. Tommy mentioned that under 20mph, your can't tell the difference (between 15T & 16T?). Maybe so, but how about under 10, or under 5. I'm talking commuter putt-putt stuff here. With a 16T, you can't "ride" under 10mph without having to slip the clutch, and 6th gear isn't much use under 65mph, which is almost out my range. Yea I keep up with traffic at 75, but that's usually only for a few minutes at a time. So anyway, I've just installed an OEM 15T countershaft sprocket today. I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks after I get some good seat time.

If you do a lot of long haul and like to make time at higher speeds, gearing up is a sensible thing to do.

One of the things that don't seem to get taken into account in gear "ratio" discussions, is load. 5000 rpm in first gear is screaming because there is very little load. 5000 rpm in 6th gear is just getting into the torque curve and not far from lugging because the wind resistance at such speed creates a lot of load. We'll see how I like it. I have a full set of sprockets now and am darned near an expert at changing them
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
To follow up - after riding with the 16T for several weeks, I still feel it's too tall. Tommy mentioned that under 20mph, your can't tell the difference (between 15T & 16T?). Maybe so, but how about under 10, or under 5. I'm talking commuter putt-putt stuff here. With a 16T, you can't "ride" under 10mph without having to slip the clutch, and 6th gear isn't much use under 65mph, which is almost out my range.
You will notice that if you try to ride this bike at 5mph even in stock gearing, you are riding it under idle, that is below 1000rpm and it is something i (who am i to say?) would not recommend. Sliding the clutch you can do it for awhile.
Ninja250
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Less noise, real use of engine torque and flywheel effect, mind serenity. Why howl when you can whisper?
So far I'm liking the change to 15T. It's nice to be able to just let out the clutch and not have to consciously feather it. 1200 rpm is 7mph, that's the bottom limit for "riding". I still frequently have to go slower in traffic, so that's a concert of clutch, rear brake, and tap dancing, but a little less of it than before.

Less noise - With the OEM, rubber-dampened sprocket, theoretically, there should be less drivetrain noise. I wear ear plugs, can't tell.

Real use of engine torque - According to this chart, the DL650 makes peak torque between 6000-7000 rpm. At 75 mph actual, I'm right there in the heart of it, not below as you would be with a higher final drive ratio. Of course, if you like to go faster, gear up. The bike definitely feels quicker with lower gears. That is expected. Every single ride, and usually many times during a ride, I have to accelerate from a stop. It is much less often that I find myself at 75mph or faster. That's where my need is, so that's where I bias the bike's performance towards.

Flywheel effect - I have no idea how big the 650's flywheel is, can't be much. I'm probably jaded by driving a Dodge/Cummins diesel with an NV5600 transmission that makes almost 800 ft/lbs of torque on the dyno at 1700 rpm. My perception of torque and flywheel effect is no doubt skewed by that.

The other arguments are even more subjective. I'm happy and my bike is quiet.

My opinion is not an indictment of 16 or 17-tooth countershaft sprockets. Having tried 17, 16, & 15 (in that order), I just find stock gearing more suitable for my riding needs. I have yet to do my monthly 500-mile weekend on the 15T (last one was on the 16T, never did the 17T), so we'll see how much of a compromise the stock gearing is on some longer stretches. I expect the verdict is that I choose to make my compromise there rather than on the daily grind.

To each his own.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL650-HP-Torque.jpg (34.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Boondocker; 10-17-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Guys, not sure if anyone has tried this yet but I am currently running a 16/45 setup and like this a great deal over stock (my only experiences are with stock and the 16/45). The 16/45 works out to just slightly lower gearing than a 17T front making a nice compromise between the 16T and 17T. Also the front gets larger and the rear smaller (compared to stock--although the rear changes more--you'll have to turn the adjusters back) so a stock chain (if you want to go that route) is still an easy option. I ended up going back about 1-1.25 marks on the swingarm.

I am 180 lbs without gear on and so far have tried it solo with some light luggage (top trunk only). I ride "normally" in a mix of suburban and 60 mph driving. The most stop-and-go I get is when the traffic going into base is backed up. I always thought that 1st was waaaay to short in the stock setup (shifting at 10-15 mph??) and this 16/45 ratio "corrects" that. I also noticed that I'd be shifting in the middle of an intersection, especially when turning left from a stop in a large intersection, and I no longer have this tendency. Highway cruising seems MUCH more relaxed. In all, the bike feels just as "torquey" and fun, but now more long-legged and relaxed...like it's not breathing as hard. It seems the best of all worlds. FYI, I don't often "depart the prepared surface".

The 16/45 comes from Suzi parts. They are for '01-05 GSX-R600 and you can retain a rubber-damped engine sprocket (I liked that). The part numbers are 27510-20A10 for the front and 64511-39F00 for the rear.

Not sure if this is "205" (as the ADVrider FF's say) but I ran across this thread searching for other info and thought I'd share.

Jason sends

'03 BMW [COLOR="Navy"]K1200GT "Jenna"[/COLOR] 21K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement