California Scientific Windshields - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 06-09-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

California Scientific Windshields

Anyone tried/own a California Scientific windshield? Comments?

Stromba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-09-2007, 03:39 AM
$tromtrooper

I have a medium on mine and my wifes bikes. So far, we love them. They have completely removed the buffeting and can be raised (with the madstad) high enough to get the air over my head. I like them way better than the Givi's we had before.

Tom
post #3 of 36 Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromba View Post
Anyone tried/own a California Scientific windshield? Comments?

Stromba
Nice shield. I got good results from it, but no better than a Givi that I had on another Strom. My problem is the price--it's a nice unit but IMHO not worth almost twice the price of the Givi.

jack <><
'07 DL650, "which may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today"--Cycle World
www.reverendbiker.com

post #4 of 36 Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 AM
$tromtrooper

Since I already had the Givi's, I was able to trade them in for $ 60 each in credit towards the CalSci's. I'm much happier, but every body and opinions are different.

Tom
post #5 of 36 Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I've had all three sizes of the Cal-Sci windshields on two Wee's. I'm 6' and found the tall one too tall. The medium was good for me and the short is great for my wife's Wee. Mark, at Cal-Sci, is super about seeing that you are satisfied, sending me replacement exchanges before I had returned the tall ones. He has considerable experience with the Wee and offers a lot of information on his site: http://motorcycles.about.com/gi/dyna...com/DL650.html.

The short one on my wife's bike has almost no buffeting, but is more breezy. The medium on my bike had almost no buffeting except when in large truck traffic, either following or meeting.

I'm now riding a Vee with a Windstrom, including their laminar top attachment. Aside from being butt ugly, it does a nice job. The Windstrom also transmits a lot of light to the edges when running at night. This is not a deal breaker, but is annoying.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 AM
$tromtrooper

I have a medium CalSi shield with the Madstadt mount and couldn't be happier! No buffeting at all...
post #7 of 36 Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 AM
mel
Stromthusiast!

I purchsed one from another forum member here. It is Tall size and I am 5'8 so I have to look through it but I did want it mainly for winter time riding. I put it on last weekend to see if it made much difference over the stock unit which I had adjusted to the 4th position. Here in Kansas we had sustained winds of 35 MPH with gusts to 50 MPH this last week. The wihdsheildd worked very well indeed. My only real complaint is it seems the hole in the bottom of the screen lets a lot of air through. Doesnt really seem to buffet me but I can feel it so it may be a problem in the winter. I may have to reduce this opening in the colder months.

The best thing however is my wife rode with me yesterday and we put 60 miles on the Wee and she noticed a world of difference between it and the stock so it probably will stay on year round.

MEL
post #8 of 36 Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourvalve View Post
I have a medium CalSi shield with the Madstadt mount and couldn't be happier! No buffeting at all...
How tall are you?

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
post #9 of 36 Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
$tromtrooper

I'm 6-3" and have had my tall version 2 years now - couldn't be happier, both with fit/finish and customer service.

Safe riding
Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
post #10 of 36 Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Its a good windshield, but it didn't work for me. I sent it back.

Since then I bought a parabellum windshield. Its "just OK' too.

Then I got a madstad bracket!!!!!

I'm convinced the Madstad bracket makes anything better.

YMMV

John

04 Blue DL650 with some add-ons
and scratches...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode