Two up on the 650 - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
If you "need" more power than the 650 just one question "have ever kept the throttle on the stop for more than a few seconds"?
Yes... Talking to the Judge wasn't fun
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM
$tromtrooper

One thing to keep in mind, the Stroms (either model) have more HP than most cruisers, even the 650 has more than my old 1200 Honda or 1600 Kawasaki, and at least 200 lbs lighter. No, I'm not saying these are race bikes by any means, but having owned both models, they are a lot easier to ride two up than a typical cruiser. I, myself, ride slower with a passenger, not much over the posted speed limit, just for safety's sake, but they do have the ability if needed. It's nice to come to a stop on a uneven road and not have to balance over 1,000 pounds (bike + two riders), I've witnessed people laying bikes down doing so! Cheers--BB
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKT View Post
Yes... Talking to the Judge wasn't fun
So he thought you didn't need a 1 litre bike then
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The GOOD thing is either bike is adequate for your "needs". The 1K may have more of your "wants" when two-up and pulling up a steep hill.

I've had some fairly powerful bikes in the past (BMW K1100, CB919 with some engine and fueling tweaks, XR650), and I chose the 650 Strom over the 1K. The DL650 has about twice the HP of a KLR650 I recently came off of, and the KLR actually had plenty of power for most situations. So, to me, the DL650 feels very strong. Riding it up a canyon to home took away any concern I had with adequate power...even when I barely took it over 5000 rpms.

I've ridden a 1K back-to-back with my CB919. The CB made the 1K feel sluggish. So, a lot depends upon what you are used to riding.

As far as pricing, the best I've seen a 2012 is 7744.00 PLUS TTL/setup/fees.

I just bought my Adventure for 9710.30 Out-The-Door. That included TTL/setup. I had quotes of 10100.00 up to 11,025.00 for the same bike from 5 other dealerships, all within 150 miles of one another. Zero interest for 5 years, not a penny down. I asked if I paid cash, could I get it cheaper...nope. Well, I'd be dumb not to take the zero percent interest deal...so, that's what I did.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The Wee power to weight ratio is better than my 800+ lb VTX 1800 w 100 hp.
Look at the HD Ultra barge w 72 hp and tipping the scales at near 900 lbs. They ride two up all the time. Don't forget the 55 to 60 mpg of the 650. You may WANT the DL 1000 but the 650 will satisfy your riding needs no sweat. If the two engines were equally smooth and quiet I would have bit for the DL 1000, but they are not. The 1000 sounds worse than a HD in my view with all that valve train clatter. It would have driven me crazy. The 650 is turbine smooth. The only engine I can compare it to was my VFR 800 V4. Ultra smooth motor. Besides, Suzuki is coming out w a new 1000 in a couple of years and I would want to research the smoothness of the new motor. So....... I would bite for the 650 and not look back. Compared to your KLR, it is a Gold Wing. You'll also have a more marketable bike in the future should you decide you need more power and want to sell or trade in.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I just read the SV cam-swapping thread. Now, I'd have to say there is no real big reason to get the 1000. Spend the 350.00 for SV cams and do that swap (intake to exhaust, and SV intakes in the intake spot), get a PC tuned correctly, (maybe even an exhaust) and you've still saved money over buying the 1000 engine, don't have the extra weight of the 1000....and you have the somewhat smoother 650 engine.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
I am looking currently at a 2012 Brand new from dealer here in Ontario Canada selling them for $7850 plus Tax and PDI....
That price doesn't sound bad... maybe since your riding season is basically done there in Ontario (!), you can talk him down a little, just to help get rid of his "old" 2012 stock.

Hey just to play devil's advocate:
I worked my way up from 500 Ninja, and, (with the exception of my V-Strom!) the FZ6 was everything I wanted in a street bike- and you're getting rid of yours, how ironic! (Sorry can't afford to buy yours, LOL! )
Current:
2012 WeeStrom
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied View Post
That price doesn't sound bad... maybe since your riding season is basically done there in Ontario (!), you can talk him down a little, just to help get rid of his "old" 2012 stock.

Hey just to play devil's advocate:
I worked my way up from 500 Ninja, and, (with the exception of my V-Strom!) the FZ6 was everything I wanted in a street bike- and you're getting rid of yours, how ironic! (Sorry can't afford to buy yours, LOL! )
No worries...it will sell even if I have to wait until spring... As much as I love the FZ6.... longer trips, dirt and fire roads are calling me again... The Vstrom has more of the "it" factor for me.... I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can swing a deal....

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement