Any tips before putting the glee on a weight loss program - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
Such as?
.... KLR, Tiger 800, DR650, BMW f650?... Many other options out there ... That would be his choice, but it sounds like to me the OP is trying to make a pickup truck into a car....

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 12-07-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Being a previous Firebalde owner, my pick up truck handles pretty damn fine
Everything can be tweaked to the enth degree but at the end of the day it all boils down to $$$$.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Moderator++

I did a weight reduction campaign on a Can-Am 175TNT once to turn it into a little road racer. The big benefit was in the project itself to do something perceived as fun. I can understand that. It took a lot of time and money with little real benefit in the ride. It was fun though. I drilled a lot of holes in things, the front disc in the upgraded brake especially comes to mind. Relacing the spokes when replacing the steel rims with alloys almost drove me nuts. The project literally and figuratively kept me off the streets.

Anyway, ABS can be disabled by a simple heavy duty switch or relay in the ABS valve fuse line or by pulling the fuse.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
... or you can just buy another bike that better suits your vision of what you want in a motorcycle...

How about if this bike doesn't exsist?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
How about if this bike doesn't exsist?
Well then he has some decisions to make, doesn't he?... For me the '12+ Glee rolls off the assembly line as if I had designed it myself....

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Replace the gas tank with a two liter plastic bottle. Cut out one of the cylinders for big weight savings. Replace the stock wheels with skinny moped wheels. Drill holes in all of the metal. Remove the instrument panel, headlight and taillight assemblies. Remove the seat and battery (pop start it). After all of this, ask yourself if weight was really a consideration when you bought this bike
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post

Anyway, ABS can be disabled by a simple heavy duty switch or relay in the ABS valve fuse line or by pulling the fuse.highlight inserted
that fuse ought to save you 5 grams and its free

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
that fuse ought to save you 5 grams and its free

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
A Pair Of Stroms

The bike doesn't need twin disc front brakes. Remove one caliper and disc, then to be sure take off the rear disc and caliper. Just plan ahead when you want to stop

Also take off ALL the bodywork, headlights and make it into a complete naked bike. If you need light a couple of LED torches strapped on the front will do. Make sure to remove indicators, hand signals are fine.

You also don't need the sidestand, just leave it against a wall or lay it down when not riding, like a mountain bike!

Convert the chain & sprockets to 420 pitch. Won't last long and you will probably spit a chain, but hey you are saving weight.

Lastly ride naked. Gear adds weight to the rider, unnecessary. You might get hurt if you crash, but you are saving weight!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm sorry, but removing the ABS due to weight saving is one of the silliest ideas I have heard. The mirrors weigh more than the ABS.

I guess you aren't planning on having insurance, because the insurance company won't cover you if you've pulled the ABS off the bike. The premiums for the L2+ DL650A is based on it having ABS (hence the A on the end).

The single biggest area for weight saving is the exhaust. My IXIL carbon 3/4 system saved me 4kg.
IXIL Exhaust on a 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement