What color is the ABS connector??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default What color is the ABS connector???

I am installing an EAstern Beaver ABS cut-out wiring kit and switch. It's a plug and play that connects into the stock ABS connector, which is somewhere near the battery. I've located a WHITE connector, with a single red wire, on the left side of the bike just outside the battery tray. It's a single blade and fits the EB plug-ins. Looking for some confirmation that the stock ABS connector is in fact WHITE The wire on this one seems to run back to the 25amp ABS Motor fuse right behind the battery (there are 2 abs fuses, the other is 15amp for the ABS Valve). Hoping someone will have the answer. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Moderator++

Go by the wire color. Connectors may vary in color. You want the red wire to the ABS valve fuse. It carries less current than the motor.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Go by the wire color. Connectors may vary in color. You want the red wire to the ABS valve fuse. It carries less current than the motor.
Thanks Greywolf, glad I asked -- on my bike, there are 2 red wires, one runs to the ABS motor fuse25A (white connector), and now I found the other one, which runs to the ABS valve fuse15A and is a brown connector. It is wired into the main positive battery lead on one end, and to the ABS valve fuse 15A on the other. I will use that one as you suggest, appreciate the help! I was just surprised to see it wired directly into the positive battery lead but it must be the one.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Moderator++

It's like that on all ABS Wees. As long as the connector fits, go with the wire to the valve fuse to lighten the load on the switch.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Right. I'm using a 20A Toggle which I got from Eastern Beaver. Jim Davis at EB says right on his website that the ABS Switching Adapter requires a heavy duty switch of at least 15A -- now I see why. My toggle switch should be fine if the ABS valve fuse is 15A (but the ABS motor fused at 25A would be pushing it, you are right).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why would you want to have the ABS disable switch again?

Knarly offroad downhills?

I am getting kinda fond of my ABS.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I ordered the EB kit as well but after riding in some deep gravel and mud conditions I also found the ABS action not overly problematic for me. I questioned whether or not to even put the switch on but I already had it in hand so I just put it on last week. I had to test out some different connections on the switch itself before I found a couple that worked for me.

I would not have put a switch on the bike if I didn't already have the kit in hand. I felt the ABS was not a problem for me off road and a crazy steep downhill can be tackled with clutch for rear breaking if needed.

My first ABS bike and I like it!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Why would you want to have the ABS disable switch again?

Knarly offroad downhills?

I am getting kinda fond of my ABS.
Fair point . I'll try it and see if it makes any difference. For less than $20, and as the bike was apart anyway to add other items, it seemed worth having the option to turn it off. At least I won't have to take off the plastic again just to put this in next year if I am unhappy with ABS when riding in the dirt. Maybe it will help in the snow this winter too. worst case, I don't notice any benefit but at least learned where the connector is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement