Replace Ignition Cylinder? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Replace Ignition Cylinder?

So I tore down my front end to replace some parts damaged during a couple attempted thefts. My question is do I need to rekey the entire bike if the ignition lock requires replacement? My key still works but the little key hole flap that prevent the hole from filling with crud is damaged, but I believe I need to replace the entire assembly just to get that lil flapper.

Anybody done so that can fill me in?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Probably yes to the rekeying.

I cut a flap of rubber sheet and put some velcro strip on it and the other gender on the steering head (under the bars), I ride enough in rain that my last DL started having lock problems.

Better waterproofing than stock anyway. Wouldn't work well on a pre-2012 model , but should be enough on these.

No pic, but it should be fairly obvious how to do it. If you need a photo, pm me.

Pete
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That could work, but I think I want to have something a little more oem looking. Essential this damaged was cause within the first week of owning my bike so I am trying at the very least to restored it to the condition I rode out of the dealer.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
$tromtrooper

New switch is in order if you want to be original, can't see getting the switch apart to get the metal flap installed.
Then the seat lock will be an issue. Maybe you can get both keyed alike if you order from mother Suzuki.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Well I have managed to take the lock right down to the tumblers and the dust cover is a seperate piece which of course is not available seperately.

I have tracked down a lock assembly from an 2009, any chance it would fit?

It appears to be the same dimensionally but I remember reading somewhere about the keys changing slighty for 2012.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Lock problems

I am in Vancouver and own a Locksmith Shop, I can help rekey a lock or help with any lock related issues.
email me at davidb@citiloc.com
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Might also want to think about why you've had a "couple" attempted thefts in such a short time of ownership. Where do you park this thing? Why does someone feel it's a promising target?

Maybe some sort of visible wheel lock is in order?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Chained to the wall with a Mcguard and disc locks, but they still wanted it! I have sinced moved and now have secure garage parking.

I have come up with an alternative. Purchase the lock assembly for the seat which is much cheaper and use the dust cover from that assembly. Appears to be the same size and if it don't work I am only out $60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement