Suzuki key code: where do I find it? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
$tromtrooper

Default Suzuki key code: where do I find it?

I know that there's some kind of letter-number combo key code that I can give to a dealer or the right locksmith (who can cut MC keys) to make a replacement key for me if I ever lose both of mine (or lose the one I have while on the road).

I figured I should put this code in multiple places where I might need it, like on my phone or even tattooed onto the back of my hand :P. But where is it? I thought it might be stamped onto the key itself, but I don't see it.

If it was on a little piece of paper stuck into the various papers I got when I bought the bike, ... uh-oh.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
If it was on a little piece of paper stuck into the various papers I got when I bought the bike, ... uh-oh.
Yeah, I put that paper in my wallet when the dealer gave it to me. As far as I've heard, that's the only place you find it other than the plastic tag that came with your keys.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, a very small rectangle piece of plastic with the # on it came with both keys.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
$tromtrooper

I had a replacement key made at a dealer, and this is the first I heard of this code. It must not be too important.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
$tromtrooper

Hmm, plastic tag that came with the keys. It might be attached to my other key then that I put away in a drawer as the "emergency" or reference key. I hope so.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Moderator++

A new key can be made from the code or an old key.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle28 View Post
I had a replacement key made at a dealer, and this is the first I heard of this code. It must not be too important.
That's sort of good to know. What'd they make the key off of then? The VIN plus you showing the registration doc in your name (with driver's license)? (The VIN of course being stamped on the outside of the frame would not be a very good basis for cutting ignition keys)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
A new key can be made from the code or an old key.
Can they tell me the code from an old key? My fear here is losing my key while on the road, the remaining keys I may have at home won't do me any good in that scenario. It'd be great if a dealer or 24 hour locksmith could cut me a key on the spot with the code.

I dropped my keys while getting them out of my jacket pocket this weekend and they almost fell down a storm drain (especially when I tried to step on them to keep them from sliding away and nearly kicked them right into it). So this was something I promised myself I'd look into ASAP.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Moderator++

As long as you have a spare key, you're fine. Carry a spare key in a different place from the main key. I doubt if the code can be retrieved from a key but that's just a guess. I used to carry a spare key taped inside the fairing where it could be felt but not seen. Now I just carry spare keys in a pants pocket and the main keys in my jacket. A locksmith can also cut a new key, maybe cheaper than a dealer.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM
$tromtrooper

I carry a spare key zip-tied under the fairing where it cannot be seen.
Had an extra made at Ace Hardware from the factory key. The Ace key used a Suzuki compatible blank. The shank was too long to allow it to fit down into the ignition but 3-4 min. on the grinder fixed that. Seems it was 4 bucks or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement