Eletrical Accessories Questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Eletrical Accessories Questions

I'm getting ready to place an order with Eastern Beaver for the PC8. I want to make sure I've got everything correct before I place the order. Let me add that I know little about electronics.

I want to be able to power a GPS (only when bike is on), Heated jacket, Disable the ABS, Oxford heated grips (I assumed I'd tap into the factory port behind radiator, but Jim suggested I not), Aux port for cell phone charger or air compressor or whatever else. Am I missing power for anything else?

I inquired about the headlight disable feature switch, but Jim suggested I go with the H4 Dual Relay Kit, which should be number one on my list. He said this avoids the poor VStrom wiring and associated meltdowns.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

(I'm trying to get my bike ready for a four week Alaska trip we're planning for this July.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Moderator++

Get the PC8 V-Strom kit that includes the relay and switching lead connector. It is a plug and play setup to power the six switched connections only when the ignition is on. VStrom

A heated jacket and grips won't require cutting out a headlight. If you want more heated clothing such as pants, gloves and socks or insoles, you can get the headlight relay kit with one light cutout switch leads plus get a handlebar switch but that would be overkill for grips and jacket alone. Do get the basic headlight relay kit at least though. VStrom

Also get the ABS switching adapter plus a switch. VStrom

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

And what about the heated grip adaptor for the grips, and accessory adaptor for the jacket? I'd like to use the handlebar switch for the ABS shut off. Feasible?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Moderator++

You will have a PC8. I would use it. The heated grip adapter wiring is lighter than would be used for the PC8 and puts more load on the ignition switch. I don't like the solidity of the accessory adapter connection. I have a dual heat controller on my bike and the output connectors stowed under the seat. With the heated gear plugged in, the only connections to the wires when they are running out from under the seat are the connections to the heated gear wiring. What handlebar switch do you mean? Remember the ABS switch needs to be very heavy duty. The EB recommended switch is the handlebar switch at Switches

I was wrong about that. The higher amp switches are lower on that page.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-15-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: error
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Correct, I want to use the handlebar switch for the ABS on/off switch. Is that heavy duty enough?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyRoo View Post
Correct, I want to use the handlebar switch for the ABS on/off switch. Is that heavy duty enough?
Yes. It's the switch Jim recommends for the job.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Anything EB sells will be heavy duty enough.

I agree, run everything you can off the PC-8. I have heated grips run off the OEM accessory plug and I feel they could be hotter with a better supply.

I'll follow your project as this is next up on my bigger project list.

I've used EB's stuff on my old BMW and it was all great quality, Jim is a good guy to deal with and really knows his stuff!

And he's a Strommer to boot!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I recently did all the mods you mentioned except for the PC8, using Eastern Beaver wiring kits. I'm also planning an Alaska trip, but it's looking like 2014 before I'll be heading up there. I lifted the tank up onto the "prop" to run all the wiring. Instructions for lifting it are in the owners manual.

I installed an auxillary plug on each side of the fairing(marine-style cigarette lighter plugs from Bass Pro Shop). The one on the right side is plugged into the switched OEM plug in the right fairing. I plan to use it for light duty stuff like charging my cell phone, ipod, etc. The one on the left side goes straight to the battery thru an inline fuse and I plan to use it for a heated vest. I may install a switch on that plug at a later date to prevent the possibility of an accidental current drain should it get wet, short out, etc.

I installed the Dual Headlight Relay kit with optional plug disconnect. Very nice kit! Just followed his instructions. The lights are noticeably brighter now.

The ABS cutoff bypass is also easy to install and plugs into the connectors inside the left side covers below the seat. I used the Little Red Rocker Switch EB sells. I didn't wire power to the lighted feature, though. Didn't want the extra red light glowing 99.9% of the time that I'll be riding with the switch on. The switch is installed in the fairing below the speedo. To mount the switch, I made a paper template which I taped onto the fairing plastic. Then I used a 1/16" bit to drill holes around the perimeter of the template. I cut the hole out by connecting the holes with an Xacto knife. The aux power plug holes were cut in the same fashion.

As for the Oxfords, take your time installing and they should be fine. Take plenty of time to file down and smooth out the ridges on the plastic throttle tube. I had to remove it from the throttle cable housing to get it done. A Dremel tool with a small drum sander attachment got the large bits off, followed by some filing, and then sanding. I used my time-proven technique of using cheap aerosol hair spray to glue the grips on. Just spray the inside of the grips well with the stuff, slide them on, and leave them alone overnight. After the alcohol evaporates, the adhesive keeps the grips nice and tight without the hazards/worries of making a mess with the supplied CA glue. I've glued grips onto bars with this method for many years. I plugged my grips into the OEM plug behind the radiator using the EB adapter. The black box is mounted to the back of the fluid reservoir under the front of the seat with sticky tape. I mounted the control box on the fairing with the provided sticky tape but it came loose after a few days. I replaced that with some 3M sticky tape. Not sure how that's going to hold long term. I may end up making a bracket to mount the box if needed. I didn't really want to mount it on my handlebars since I'll use the heaters infrequently and didn't want them interfering with my tank bag at full fork lock. Overall, I'm happy with the Oxfords and they seem to get very hot at the highest setting using the OEM switched plug.

With the tank lifted up, it was pretty easy to route all the wires along the inside of the frame and bundle them up for a tidy install.

I hope this helps. I'll try to get some pics of my installation uploaded.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some pics of the finished mods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2339.jpg (91.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2340.jpg (91.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2341.jpg (92.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2342.jpg (94.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2343.jpg (94.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyRoo View Post
Is that heavy duty enough?
My experience.... All the gear I have gotten from EB is high quality, bomb proof, and works/installs better than advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement