2012 adventure 650 wind screen problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 2012 adventure 650 wind screen problem

I am raising the windscreen on my adventure and one of the screws that hold it to the fairing just turns in the fairing and will not back out.
It seems the grommet is loose. The screw is spinning in the fairing.
Anyone know a fix?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did you try push hard on the screen against the wellnut while you turn srew?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yes I have tried that and tried to hold it from the back but it is impossible to hold.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Possibly cross threaded, if so I suspect the only way to fix it is to take the faring off so you can grip the nut. You'll also need a replacement well nut.

If the bike is under warantee, take it to the dealer ?. Assembly faults SHOULD be covered. If you get it dealer serviced, maybe ask them to check it next service ?.

I put some silicone on the well nuts on my DL to make it easier to pop them free, even with that, no problems, so cross threaded seems real likely.

Pete
Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Are you using the middle position in the three mount holes?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Loose screw in fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwms View Post
Yes I have tried that and tried to hold it from the back but it is impossible to hold.
I would try holding the screw with a pair of pliers and wiggle the screw and the wellnut together and they should both pull out together. The wellnut has pushed all the way thru the hole in the fairing. Spray a bit of lubricating oil into the whole and that will help the well nut slip thru the fairing from the backside. If u did take the screw out, the well nut will fall into never/never land behind the fairing where I have lost several. The other thing you could do is grab the screw and pull so there is pressure on the wellnut and loosen the screw. However, if you do that the wellnut will fall into the fairing. Sometimes they will fall to the floor but usually not. U do not want to take the fairing apart just to retrieve the wellnut. I was able to purchase some wellnuts at a hardware store but they came with different screws. You can also purchase wellnuts from CAL SCI's website for like 6 for 6.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement