Anyone else having problems with their locks? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Anyone else having problems with their locks?

I've had my adventure for almost a month now. Yesterday I had a real problem. The lock on my bag wouldn't let me get my key in at all. The hole cover had gone diagonal and gotten jammed. It took me about 5 minutes to get my key in and open the lock. Not fun when you want to get your gear.

I'm also having problems with the ignition key. I've noticed that the cover will spin, I can get it to turn a full circle with just the tip of the key. This isn't a big deal, though it does make it hard sometimes to get the key in.

Have there been others with this problem, especially not being able to get the key in at all, or at least without a lot of work?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
$tromtrooper

I use a proper lock lubricant on my bikes and cars, makes life easier.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I bought mine new and the dealership actually had such a issue with the bag keys they broke one off in the bag and had to order new ones! Apparently the keys/locks are cheap and have had lots of trouble. I'm sure using a good lube on them will help but really, should you really need to do this every week on a bike that is less then a year old?

The keying system is bad, we all just need to admit it and move on. It can not be that expensive to get a good key and lock combo, let alone a system were all the keys are the same (ignition and bags). I understand the idea of keeping the cost down but I'm pretty sure we would all be better with a better key system.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenderson View Post
I'm also having problems with the ignition key. I've noticed that the cover will spin, I can get it to turn a full circle with just the tip of the key. This isn't a big deal, though it does make it hard sometimes to get the key in.
Mine does this, but so did my Bandit, 06' Vstrom, and Triumph.

I don't have the adventure model, but the seat lock tend to be a little finicky...the key has to be in just right and sometimes it isn't..have to jiggle it...doesn't really bother me any..I'd rather it be difficult than easy to "jimmy the lock" (poor jimmy, he gets a bad rap).

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

i put a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil (available at any hardware or wal mart) in mine in april and they've been smooth as butter since.

my ignition key is finicky also. i think i have it in all the way and it won't turn until i knock it in further with the heel of my hand. figured it'd loosen up in time but i'm pushing 10k on the bike and it's still fighting me.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Sticky ignition key

Just an FYI, the key slot over the ignition is designed to spin such that if turned slightly out of alignment, it will keep out the rain out. Tricky, eh?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm having the same problems. On a trip one of the pannier keys separated at it's handle Luckily I had brought a back up key or I would have been using pliers. I found that each lock requires a slightly different key position to open it. My left bag opens easily if I tilt the key down while I turn. And the lubricant helps. Suzuki could have done a better job with the locks.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also tilt the keys downward to get the locks to work smoothly. After applying graphite to all of them, they operate nicely.

I also applied RTV to the c-clips after reading the other thread about them coming loose. One of mine was about to fall off when I checked them. After the silicone, no more problems. I did point the problem out to my dealer and they noted it to Suzuki.

I bought this bike for a planned trip to Alaska and hope that the locks will be durable enough.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I hate the locks on my adventure. What are you guys talking about with the ignition spinning thing? Is my ignition supposed to have some kind of cover?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Graphite got my locks going just fine. They're "worked in" now and don't give me any probs. The "cover" is the thin metal cap with the key slot. If you barely put the key in and turn, it will rotate but then you won't be able to get your ignition key in until you line it up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement