StromTrooper banner

tank bag

67K views 73 replies 54 participants last post by  zig06 
#1 ·
I've never owned a tank bag and want to get one for my 2012 vstrom 650. I would appreciate any advice / widom / experience you are willing to share. TIA for any assistance you provide.

#38 · (Edited)
RKA In-Charge - Zumo and Sat Radio

I read this thread before settling on an RKA In-Charge Tank Bag.

The primary reason is that I was trying to minimize wiring the bike for my Zumo and Sat Radio (and perhaps eventually, FRS, CB and Radar). The controller is STARCom and a MixIT booster. The volume knob is simply velcro'd to the plastic map case on top.

The connection was extremely simple, PowerLet connection to the battery. That's it.

Here are a coupla pics I took.

#39 ·
I read this thread before settling on an RKA In-Charge Tank Bag.

This is an awesome tank bag. Thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of RKA before.:thumbup:

Do you have a pic that shows the whole bike with the bag and electronic accessories installed on the bag? Which size did you get? Any issues seeing the bike gauges with the accessories installed on the tank bag dashboard?

#40 · (Edited)
fit interferes with handlebars

I've got the Givi Tanklock bag T 480 (14 to 22 litres) on the L2 (Glee).
So easy to put on/take off -- eg when filling fuel tank.
I tend to be a bit of an overpacker, and like the space in the bag.
Unzipping the extra height release for the additional space puts the top too high for me to see the gauges - but even I don't need that much space.

The space that is the map pocket has a GPS size indent -- where it's possible for me to put the TomTom.

One crappy aspect of the bag is that with it on, I cannot turn the bars to full lock. In usual riding this isn't a problem -- but when doing a U-turn, the bike feels like a whale needing such a large turning circle. This also gets in the way of steering in to a tight parking space.

I'd like the same bag, but with a narrower front profile.
Late Edit: after a suggestion from John V Strom Jr, I realised there was another set of holes on the underside of this tank bag -- which has enabled me to move the Tanklock mechanism and therefore the whole bag a little rearward.
This is great. I now can just about get full lock -- (and I never need to turn that far on the tricky gravel road sections anyway, where the turning restriction was previously a problem).
So -- I am now glad of the bag's extra size and functionality for days away -- and would have no qualms recommending it to riders of the L2.
It also has two quick access pockets along the sides of the bad -- and a rain cover, in it's own pocket on the outside at the front of the bag.

#45 ·
I've got the Givi Tanklock bag T 480 (14 to 22 litres) on the L2 (Glee).
So easy to put on/take off -- eg when filling fuel tank.

One crappy aspect of the bag is that with it on, I cannot turn the bars to full lock. In usual riding this isn't a problem -- but when doing a U-turn, the bike feels like a whale needing such a large turning circle. This also gets in the way of steering in to a tight parking space.

I'd like the same bag, but with a narrower front profile.
My gal got me the same bag for Christmas. I thought it wouldn't work at all until I realized I can move the mount forward or back (on the bottom of the bag.) I have 1 inch up and back bar risers and can move the bar Tull lock.

One question: I see there is a way to run a cord from the map pocket area to the main part o father bag but how would that cable get out of the bag?

..Tom

#46 ·
does anyone with the givi tanklock bags have interference issues with the handlebars? i have my bars set up and back about 1" and bars have solid crossbar. i'm thinkin that this will hit bag in turns. fuel filler hole on the 650L2 is farther forward than one the older models.

#48 ·
does anyone with the givi tanklock bags have interference issues with the handlebars? i have my bars set up and back about 1" and bars have solid crossbar. i'm thinkin that this will hit bag in turns. fuel filler hole on the 650L2 is farther forward than one the older models.
I have inch up and back risers. The tank bag is very close but not an issue with my Tanklock bag once I discovered I can move the mounting point on the bag. I may need to move my gps as I like it on the left side of the handlebar and sometimes when doing sharp turns the bag hits the gps (Zumo 660) and changes the screen I'm on.

..Tom

#47 ·
Hey 365,

Two questions for you:
1. What made you choose the t491 over the t480?
2. Where did you purchase the reflective hazard tape?

thanks in advance!

(PA666 is an awesome ride, I usually spend the evening near Minister Creek and wake up and ride it back and forth, over and over...)

#52 ·
Just to clarify...

I own a 2012 Vee and incorrectly ordered the BF-01 for my T-480. This was a fail. :frown:

The BF-10 is listed for V-Stroms 2004-2011 and fits my 2012 Vee perfectly. This is a win. :yesnod::thumbup:

The T-480 is all they say it is...easy on, easy off, plenty of room, expandable, and my Garmin Nuvi fits perfectly!

The only draw-back thus far is that I have to run my power cords through the space between the zippers to get to the chargers. 1st world problem!

#53 ·
I have owned the 480 for about two months and 3,000 miles now, and I'm happy with it thus far. However, I do find myself sticking my wallet and phone in my pants pocket at high speeds during cross winds, not yet fully trusting the tanklock connection.

By the way, in order to correctly place the order for the tanklock connection through Motorcycle Superstore, you need to call in the order. I tried several times, unable to find the part via the website, and the phone rep said you may only be able to find the part by speaking with them.

-Joe

#56 ·
Tank lock bag is not an option if you are using up+back bar risers. I'd have to ask Satch exactly what was the issue. I have the Wofman Explorer Lite Tankbag. Does not interfere with my horn or clutch button in tight parking lot turns, nice large Map window, easily straps to my wee. Bit pricy but best bag I had out of 5. :thumbup:

#57 ·
Tank lock bag is not an option if you are using up+back bar risers.
I have one inch up and back on my 2012 and the Givi tanklock bag. You can move the fitting point on the bag to make it fit.

..Tom

#58 ·
I have the SW Motech City tank bag and it made a big difference in the wind blast to my chest. It redirects the air outward so I still get some on my sides but the main blast to the chest is gone. I had to have a tank bag. This was just a big plus.

Attachments

#62 ·
I have had the GIVI 480 tank ring style bag for about 6 months and I give it an A+ rating. It's easy to install and easy to get off and on for refueling. The expander zipper comes in handy when you really need to load it up. On really rough roads it will vibrate and shake some but has never come loose. I did however drive off and leave it on the gas pump-:)

#64 ·
Tankbags

Hi

Just got a wee and also looking for a tanklog tankbag.

My real issue is making sure the tanklog bags from Bags Connection and Givi don't obstruct the handlebars. Givi has a new range out but only the very small one seems to miss the handlebars. The Motech City is the right vloume but based on measurung bag widhts would also stop the bars going to full lock.

Has anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks

#65 ·
Hi

Just got a wee and also looking for a tanklog tankbag.

My real issue is making sure the tanklog bags from Bags Connection and Givi don't obstruct the handlebars. Givi has a new range out but only the very small one seems to miss the handlebars. The Motech City is the right vloume but based on measurung bag widhts would also stop the bars going to full lock.

Has anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks
On mt and my wife's tanklock bags you can move the base on the bottom of the bag to make more room. The bag is close with one inch up and back risers but not an issue.

..Tom

#66 ·
Ok, I finally got around to taking some clearance pictures of the City bag on my 2012 Adventure. Note my homemade switch bracket for the heated grips hits the bag at full turn on the left side. Not a lot of room up front BUT my bag is mounted in the full forward position. You can see in the side view that it is all the way up to the tank.
An interesting tidbit I found while doing this is at the angle I have my levers mounted, I like them a little low, the OEM Suzuki hand guards hit the tank covers. I will have to replace them this winter with BarkBusters.

Attachments

#67 ·
Tankbags

Thanks for the quick replies and the photos. This is a huge help in getting the right bag as most dealers here don't carry these in stock. I have located a dealer with bags connection bags only a two hour trip away by freeway, longer by the back roads which happen to be excellent bike roads. Should be able to turn that into a good couple of days away. The tank bag will be a bonus.

#72 ·
This is the bag I've been using for the past year, and I really like it. I did make a few changes though; I didn't like the gutter hook attachment straps, so I replaced them with quick release buckles and velcro straps that wrap around the frame. It fits really well on the tank of my Super Tenere, and it holds a ton of stuff (especially when you expand the bag). To prevent any scratches on the gas tank, I covered my tank with the Tank Slapperz clear film.

#74 ·
Late to the party here, but I'm interested in getting a tank bag for my '12 650. Like the contoured fitting of the SW-Motech GS but it's kind of pricey, is there a less costly option for a bag with the same form? Not looking at storing a lot but I would like the extra storage.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.