Akrapovic on a 2012 - Page 22 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medve View Post
Anyone know off hand the db levels (idle & certain revs) between the stock and the Akra exhaust?

* Nooo, got home with the kit, have to wait till tomorrow now, have no socket extension! Do you really need a torque wrench?

Don_T: How long did the install take you?
Db level at 4400 rpm:
Stock - 88db.
Akrapovic - 94db.

You can see more data here.

I would not install the exhaust without using a torque wrench.

I was in no hurry and very thorough (leaving no static tension in the pipes, using recommended thread grease and proper torquing) and the install took me about an hour.
As this was the second time I installed an Akrapovic on my Strom, I had some some experience with the task.

NB. Be very carefull not to scratch the swingarm when removing the stock exhaust (it's the clamp on the rear header pipe that can cause scratches) - I would suggest protecting the swingarm with rags before you start to remove the exhaust.

Last edited by Don_T; 12-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well I installed in last night, not bad, was expecting it to be a little louder. Install was ok, purchased all the tools then I realised that 3 bolts I couldn't torque tighten properly due to my torque unable to go below 19nm. So I had to tighten but not too much, the two allan key circle clips, the graphite bracket and the sensor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you want it louder you can take out the screw at the end of the pipe and remove the baffle, easy to reinstall if you need to....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ650 View Post
If you want it louder you can take out the screw at the end of the pipe and remove the baffle, easy to reinstall if you need to....
Yeah I was going to ask about that, do you guys have it in or out?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I tried mine with out the db killer, sounds awesome!

It sounds just right with it in so I left it.

I think you may loose a bit of HP with it out though. Dyno would tell you for sure.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yeah I was going to ask about that, do you guys have it in or out?
I ride without the baffler and love the sound - deep, soft and not too loud.

The baffler sat so tight in my exhaust that I was unable to remove it from the rear - not even using pliers. Instead I used a rod to knock it out from the other end before I mounted the exhaust to the bike.

I don't feel any loss of power with the baffler out - rather the opposite.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I ride without the baffler and love the sound - deep, soft and not too loud.

The baffler sat so tight in my exhaust that I was unable to remove it from the rear - not even using pliers. Instead I used a rod to knock it out from the other end before I mounted the exhaust to the bike.

I don't feel any loss of power with the baffler out - rather the opposite.
How much extra db you reckon it is without the baffle? It's not stated on the site.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

It does sound awesome with it out ...louder but not too loud....however I ride with it in since many of my trips end up being longer than planned and don't want the extra noise when riding for long hours...over 22,000 on my wee now and now that it has a bit of character the smiles will be even bigger...
You have nothing to lose by trying it ...take out the screw and pull it out.. It is a bit tight in there as previously posted but it will come out...
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
How much extra db you reckon it is without the baffle? It's not stated on the site.
It is somewhat louder (no idea about the db) - but even without the baffler I don't find it annoying on long/all day rides.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

The question is: does it become annoying for other people around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement