2012 heated grip install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2012+

DL650 - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default 2012 heated grip install

I bought some Oxford hot grips, I had them on my old 2004 DL650 and was very happy with them.

I started attempting the install on my 2012 DL650 today. I tried removing the tank to assist in looking for the wires, but couldn't work out how to remove all the fairing panels (see other thread).

So I started looking around the head stem area inside the fairing using a torch and a mirror. I found what I think is the heated grip plug. It looks like the same colour wires as used for the heated grip plug on the previous models.

The connector is different. It's a proper waterproof plug. It comes with a dummy plug install in it to keep it clean.

My fingers are holding the plug here, so you can see where approximately the plug is located;

This is the view from inside the head stem area looking up to the plug. You can see it was taped to the rest of the harness, the unwound tape is still hanging there in the photo;

And this is the dummy plug that is attached to keep the connector clean.

So my next task is to see if I can find a plug the same size as this dummy plug to use for connecting my oxford hot grips to the stock harness. Otherwise I will just resort to cutting the stock plug off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Try Jim Davis (Eastern Beaver/easternbeaver.com) he's in Japan and has sources for most connectors lined up, service has always been excellent.

Pete
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Try Jim Davis (Eastern Beaver/easternbeaver.com) he's in Japan and has sources for most connectors lined up, service has always been excellent.

Pete
There is a $20 minimum order so get a headlight relay kit too. The 2012 doesn't come with them any more than the earlier models did.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for posting this, I have heated grips on my workbench, and am picking up my bike this morning, I would have been looking behind the radiator for the plug, I nearly ordered the old style connector last week to be ready for the install, but held off till I had a look at the new setup.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
...I started looking around the head stem area inside the fairing using a torch and a mirror.
At first I was all like but then I saw your location and remembered what a "torch" means to UK and Aussie folks vs. us 'merkins.

You meant this kind of "torch" (flashlight):

Not this kind of "torch":

At least I hope so.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, a flashlight torch

I suspect I might be able to get away with buying a similar generic 2 pin plug and just using the actual terminals and rubber oring seals. The stock plug is a fully functioning connector, it just has no metal terminals in it and has solid rubber plugs where the wires would go.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ok, Jim from easternbeaver has just replied to my email and confirmed I only need 2 female terminals and 2 seals since the female housing is included.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Awwwww Bloody Hell !!

I just spent the day fusing and wiring relays and running wires from the rear of the bike to install Oxfords and a 12v acc plug on my 2012. I didn't know there was a freakin connector already under there.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Not sure if this is actually for heated grips, but a customer assures me it has switched power and a ground. I have put a new adapter online for the new bikes with this connector. Also made available a small kit with just the terminals and seals for those who want to DIY it.
http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics: 2007 DL1000 with 16/43 gearing, Superbrace, Tokico 4 Pot fronts, BackoffXP, H4 Dual Relay Kit, PC-8 Fusepanel, 2 Powerlet Sockets, Suzuki Centerstand - 1988 Africa Twin 650, 1990 VFR 750.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, the customer is me It definitely has 12V which switches on with the ignition.

Here is a link to the plug that Jim just added to his website;
Suzuki VStrom Electrics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical, glee