OEM Hand guards has anyone used them. - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've removed my oem hand guards for the summer , too hot.
Will refit for winter .
Ozzy Strom
[B]Bikes I have owned[/B] * CZ 175 * Yamaha DT250a * Honda CB450 * Kawa KL250 * Honda CB750F2 * Honda CR250m2 * Suzuki DR250 * Yamaha TX650a * Honda SL350 And Kawa KE175 * Honda CX500ec (Had it 16 Yrs, Wrecked by car turning in front of me) * BMW K100rs 1991
Grey 2011 Wee-current bike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I had a 2009 KLR650 with the hand guards, and the OEM DL650 hand guards do not provide quite as much protection as the KLR hand guards did.

Current bike: 2009 VStrom 650

Previous bikes: Hondas - '65 305 Scrambler; '81 900F; '98 1100 Shadow ACE; '03 VTX 1800C; Kawasakis - '05 Concours; '08 KLR650; '01 Vulcan 1500 Classic
[/FONT][/I]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
$tromtrooper

I rode my 2011 for a year without the handguards. Put some on last winter and really like them. I'm in the northeast - lots of rain and cooler riding temps. I don't find them too terribly hot on the warm days.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I put handguards on every bike I have owned, I live in Texas and ride year round, ever had a rock from a vehicle in front of you hit your windshield, every had a rock hit your hand, there's your answer.

John
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
$tromtrooper

I have a pair that I bought years ago and modified to fit my FZ6. They work very good for keeping the wind off your hands. I only used them in the winter.

Now that I have a 2012 GStrom, I put them on. I would not count on them to provide any level of protection ( although, I have read of some cases where in a tip over the OEM guards held up and protected the levers ). I will eventually be installing Acerbis or Barkbusters.

The OEM guards provide a lot of coverage for the top of your hand. However, the bottoms are very open and do allow rain to get to the bar and the palms of your hands. I have heard of others attaching the lip of a squeegee to help deflect rain / wind.

Here is a pricey, but more effective mod to the OEM handguards:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-bu...andguards.html

The last pic in the post above shows the bottom of the OEM handguard where it provides the least amount of coverage.

2012 G-Strom - White

Last edited by Mr_McBride; 01-04-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default OEM handguards

They are pretty good. If you feel the cold hits you the hardest in your knuckles you will feel a good relief. If you feel it mainly in your fingertips you will need and all of the above approach. Oh and they are not that fragile. I've dropped my bike going off-road and they dis get scratched up but didn't break
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
$tromtrooper

Thumbs up I like handguards a lot.

I have ridden motorcycle without handguards from 1961 to today.
This experience includes twenty years riding year-round in Canada.

My 2006 Wee-Strom has OEM handguards, and I enjoy them for many reasons:
I can ride bare-handed in warm weather without fearing impacts from gravel.
My gloves are not particularly waterproof, so handguards reduce rain intrusion.
In cold weather, which I encounter more often than you might think,
handguards make a tremendous difference. I find them to be great value.

I mounted six yellow LEDs in each guard, and wired them in parallel with my turn signals, and the visual impact is significant. Momentary use of the four-way flasher makes my bike look a lot bigger than it really is. I connected to the rear signals, not the front, to avoid making removal of fairings more difficult and complex than it already is.

I recommend this accessory highly.
Keith
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have the OEM hand guards and heated grips. I find that there is not enough deflection to eliminate all rain and wind from hitting the back of the hand, and there is some convection of air in the handwell area, but it does a pretty good job of keeping the worst of the elements off your hands. Even with decent winter gloves, I need both the heat and the guard to keep my hands warm when the temperature drops below freezing and the trip is longer than 30 minutes.
In the Summer I must use ventilated gloves with the guards or my hands get sweaty. I'm planning on installing a louvered vents (like the heater vents on a car) into the guards when I find one that would fit well.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have a 30 minute ride to work and I feel able to ride in the high 30 with no heated gear in the mornings. I have had several rocks bounce of them instead of my hands. I can't wait to add amber LEDs to mine now! Thanks for the great idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com App
[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/okanor/vstrom-dl650][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/199417.png[/IMG][/URL]
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Google for it. I've seen a thread on that mod...Can't remember if it was on SBN, ST.N, or where I saw it, though.

2012 G-Strom - White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement