Happy trails rack question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Happy trails rack question

I'm looking at buying a happy trails rack for my 08 650 Vstrom. The current owner said the only hardware missing is the long bolts that attach to the passenger peg assembly. Are those bolts something that would be easy to find in a good hardware store? Also does the happy trails side racks interfere with a givi top case plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just pulled one out of my bike with the Happy Trails rack. It's a stainless steel socket head cap screw, M8 x 1.25 x 70mm long. See this for example, though the picture is for a shorter item. Should be easily enough sourced through a "real" hardware supplier. A regular hex head cap screw (bolt in common parlance) would work as well, if that's all you can find, but you may as well get the right thing. Mine also uses a washer under the head.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I'm looking at buying a happy trails rack for my 08 650 Vstrom. The current owner said the only hardware missing is the long bolts that attach to the passenger peg assembly. Are those bolts something that would be easy to find in a good hardware store? Also does the happy trails side racks interfere with a givi top case plate?

"Almost every Roman orator looked back wistfully to a golden age 'before the destruction of Carthage', when the Republic was healthy ... That there had never been such a time was beside the point." Susan Wise Bauer

Last edited by perArdua; 12-07-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: changed url for link
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perArdua View Post
I just pulled one out of my bike with the Happy Trails rack. It's a stainless steel socket head cap screw, M8 x 1.25 x 70mm long. See this for example, though the picture is for a shorter item. Should be easily enough sourced through a "real" hardware supplier. A regular hex head cap screw (bolt in common parlance) would work as well, if that's all you can find, but you may as well get the right thing. Mine also uses a washer under the head.

Marc

Thanks a bunch. Can you tell what grade it is?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. Can you tell what grade it is?
Well can of worms here really. Stamped into the head is YFS, a manufacture code likely, and A2-70, designating a general purpose 304 or 18-8 stainless steel. This has physical properties even less than a standard non-stainless metric 8-8 grade (which would be an A4-80 or something like that in stainless). Stainless fasteners as a rule are not that super strong. Happy Trails must think it's strong enough.

I just pulled the stock Suzuki bolt, the other one holding the passenger peg bracket in place, and it's a grade 10.9, which is a high(er) strength non-stainless steel item, reasonably equivalent to the American grade 8 fwiw, if my memory serves me right. So Suzuki opts for a stronger, less corrosion-resistant cap screw. You certainly wouldn't go wrong with also going with a grade 10.9, or even 12.9 (also very common), which may be easier to find in any case than a stainless socket head cap screw.

Or, for ease, get Happy Trails to send you a couple.

"Almost every Roman orator looked back wistfully to a golden age 'before the destruction of Carthage', when the Republic was healthy ... That there had never been such a time was beside the point." Susan Wise Bauer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Calling HTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by perArdua View Post
Well can of worms here really. Stamped into the head is YFS, a manufacture code likely, and A2-70, designating a general purpose 304 or 18-8 stainless steel. This has physical properties even less than a standard non-stainless metric 8-8 grade (which would be an A4-80 or something like that in stainless). Stainless fasteners as a rule are not that super strong. Happy Trails must think it's strong enough.

I just pulled the stock Suzuki bolt, the other one holding the passenger peg bracket in place, and it's a grade 10.9, which is a high(er) strength non-stainless steel item, reasonably equivalent to the American grade 8 fwiw, if my memory serves me right. So Suzuki opts for a stronger, less corrosion-resistant cap screw. You certainly wouldn't go wrong with also going with a grade 10.9, or even 12.9 (also very common), which may be easier to find in any case than a stainless socket head cap screw.

Or, for ease, get Happy Trails to send you a couple.
If you have questions you can give me a call 1-800-444-8770, also here is a link to our instructions and bolt . Suzuki DL650 Luggage - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Givi top plate

Quote:
You will not have a problem with your GIVI TOP PLATE and the HTP SU racks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement