power plug for gps - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default power plug for gps

Have the new to us 04 Wee and looking for GPS mounting. I have a pair of Garmin 6o Gps units. One is a csx and the second is the cx model. Figure to mount the ram ball mount on the handlebars. On my XR I had a 12volt plug wired and mounted near the handle bars also. Where are you guys puttting a plug in on your bikes. The plastic dash looks like it would be a good place. Is that a sturdy enough place? Also, my last plug in was an open unit, I would like to find one with some knd of cap to cover when not in use. Anyone have any suggestions?
We didn't strait wire the units to the battery, when parked I thought it was pretty convienant to just unplug the unit from the 12volt socket and throw the whole thing, cord and all in a locking GIVI top case she had on her DR.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 12v socket with rubber cover mounted on horizontal part of left side dash..some photos are in my album. The socket is wired directly to battery with an inline fuse and always hot. Useful for air pump or charging blackberry as well. RAM mount and Zumo 220. Look for a marine grade or exterior socket. Also consider a powerlet connector if you can get an adapter for your GPS or other accessories.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Saw yours Nuke in your album. Do you know what brand that is?
Just left Radio Shack but all they had was a cheapo looking plastic one rated only for indoors use.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Most marine supply places have good quality, outdoor rated plugs. If you have one nearby, might be a place to look.
The PO of my bike mounted 4 of these on the horizontal parts of the fairings; 2 hot and 2 switched. Not sure why so many, but......
Anyway, the "shelf" is more than strong enough to support the plugs.

Rod
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

No brand printed on mine, check a marine supplier,a little moisture probably would not hurt but you should get one with a snug fitting rubber seal...search amazon dot com for marine grade cigarette lighter socket..

Last edited by nuke; 12-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I personally only use Powerlet Plugs (BMW type), etc. I know not the cheapest way to go, but I don't like the regular cigarette type plugs because the male end (plug) does work loose in the plug, it just doesn't stay plugged in as well. Now this may be due to off road riding and the vibration that you get riding there, but I use them on my street bikes as well, mainly because I don't want two different types of plugs to deal with. Maybe some types of cigarette plugs have a snap in type, I don't know, just never used them.
John
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Trainman,
true enough that some plugs work free of some sockets. I have a small bungee wrapped around the plug on one bike to keep it in. It's a Garmin plug and a cheap socket. On the other bike the TomTom plug doesn't work loose, same kind of cheap socket.
A two outlet adapter doesn't come loose either. Just variations in manufacturing quality.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I personally only use Powerlet Plugs (BMW type), etc. I know not the cheapest way to go, but I don't like the regular cigarette type plugs because the male end (plug) does work loose in the plug, it just doesn't stay plugged in as well. Now this may be due to off road riding and the vibration that you get riding there, but I use them on my street bikes as well, mainly because I don't want two different types of plugs to deal with. Maybe some types of cigarette plugs have a snap in type, I don't know, just never used them.
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Trainman,
true enough that some plugs work free of some sockets. I have a small bungee wrapped around the plug on one bike to keep it in. It's a Garmin plug and a cheap socket. On the other bike the TomTom plug doesn't work loose, same kind of cheap socket.
A two outlet adapter doesn't come loose either. Just variations in manufacturing quality.
This is exactly why I just directly wire everything in. I never have to worry about a connection coming loose. I was on an 8 month trip and had the cigarette style plug go out on me 3 times, and each time it had to be replaced with a new one. Until I finally just wired it directly in. I also don't want to cut up the nice dash plastics to instal a plug. At the moment I only have a power plug for my phone, and audio for my phone, I will add a plug for my gps when I get another one. Since my phone uses a RAM mounting system the cords have a nice place to store when they are not in use. I also have some holders mounted underneath the dash to hold the cords neatly if I want to.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Garmin cigarette adapter plug has a green light that indicates a good connection and it fits tightly. When I am taking a longer trip, I wrap rescue tape (google that) around the garmin plug where it enters the hole to guarantee a waterproof seal and a tight fit. Rescue tape fuses to itself and is not sticky, can be easily removed.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the Eastern Beaver adapter which connects to the oem heated grip wiring, and hard wired my GPS into that using the Garmin wiring. GPS cradle is mounted to the bars with a RAM mount. Obviously then the GPS turns on and off with the bike but I like it that way, just like my in my car. I do have a 12v cigarette lighter socket also, mounted under the seat for charging my cell phone, etc., as well as the wiring for connecting my heated jacket and gloves. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement