Season gone bad, to my Trooper friends. - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Good Luck Brother, With your attitude you'll be back in the wind before you know it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy Sorry to hear this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST114ME View Post
I was out o BRP and had a stent go bad in my leg while on a trip by myself. I was out on the BRP for my last long trip of the season. I had grand day riding the BRP. The stent felt like I was shot with a gun in my leg when it blew. Off to the emergency room to a Hospital in VA. And the back to a hospital in NY. The end result was that I lost my leg below my knee. A season ender for certain. I am looking ahead to a long repair & adapting to a replacement left leg. Any one on the list been threw anything like this?
Oh my god... I am so sorry to hear about this and hope things work out for you. If you want to ride I am sure you can still do it even with a replacement below the knee. I have seen people do most things.. here is a site I found that might be very inspirational for you in your recovery...

Motorcycle Amputee
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Best of luck on your recovery. Life is full of unknowns.......never know what each day will bring into your life, good or bad.
I had chronic kidney failure for four years, then total failure in 2009. One year on dialysis. Luckily for me, my brother donated one of his kidneys to me in 2010 and I have been doing fine for over 2 years now. I have been truly blessed.
You will overcome this and become a stronger person and more thankful for what life has to offer.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I belie will ride again. st can't give riding up just yetDow the road a piece. I will be looking into electric button shifting. I have been riding for 42 years & just dont see giving up riding just yet. I will be selling my Gold Wing. That bike is just to big for what I want to do in my riding future. I put up 19,000 miles this season. I think the riding seasons will be much shorter in my future.
My close friend lost his left leg below the knee over a year ago. Has a prosthesis now. Got rid of his heavy touring bike, bought the lowest Harley so he could swing his prosthesis over the seat . . . may be a FatBoy but not sure as I'm not a Harley expert.

They have an entire program for amputees. They sent his bike out to have a pushbutton kick stand installed, which can put the stand up and down with a cable controlled on the handlebar. Its a beautiful thing to watch it work. They also modified his shifter a bit, and he rides all the time, as much or more than before his operation, scraping his footboards every day.

I'm still not a big Harley fan, but my friend says no other company works with disabled riders like they do. Not sure what other companies offer, but you will ride for sure if you want to.

Just heal well first, and good luck.

Craig
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
$tromtrooper

Might look at lighter dual sports like the DR650 or KLR. Depending on the shifting thing. Fun machines too.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Turtle rider

Quote:
I think Burghman may be in my future. I go back into the hospital today for the final stump mods. I will get back to you in a month.
Bill Kane
My wife loves her Burgmann. It's plenty fast and she enjoys the simplicity while making me work to catch up. She spanked a couple of HD this summer and laughed about that more than a little. Good luck and good riding!
LIMNCS #51
Shiro Nakama Shichi #007
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well I am back home from the hospital. They had to make an adjustment to my leg and not a good one. The infection had gone up into my knee & their was just too much dead muscle below my knee. They made an above the knee cut. I must say I do feel better without all the sickness floating about in my body. So a Burghman may be in my future. Shame my wee is so farkled & new it will be a tough sell down the road. Dam I just put a Penski on the dam thing. Hey I have larger issues.
2011 White Wee under construction
05 Wee @ 50 K ( Gone @ 56 K Loved that bike)
02 1800 Wing @ 83K
Home just outside of NYC & THE YANKEES RULE
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Well I am back home from the hospital. They had to make an adjustment to my leg and not a good one. The infection had gone up into my knee & their was just too much dead muscle below my knee. They made an above the knee cut.
Unfortunate but at least now rehab can begin. Stay positive, take it one day at a time. Two wheels will happen again if it is important to you.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Both my Dad and a good friend lost a leg. One above the other below the knee. I liked the Dr advise to us. "He's not handicapped unless you treat him like he is." My Dad said the down side was they took away his golf handicap. Turned out standing on the fake leg straightened out his swing and he could drive a ball further and as straight as an arrow.

You have several great options when you ride in the future. Both the FJR and VFR come with paddle shifts. These are large powerful sport touring bikes. Also the NC700X is available as an automatic and got fantastic reviews in the last Motorcycle Consumer News and is dang close to the V-Strom. Reward yourself after rehab when you get back on your feet with a new ride! Best of luck to you, hope to see you on the road in the near future.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry to hear about your leg. Saw an interesting video about a guy who modified his bike for this. Hyosung GT 650 / Naza Blade Conversion - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement